U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:24 AM

746 posts, read 645,945 times

Advertisements

What exactly is a race card? We hear this term used all the time, but there has really been no defined definition as to what would qualify as a "race card." There are certainly many cards used by every group, ethnicity, individual, and fraction of today’s society. When workers who would rather not advance their skills complain about American companies moving jobs overseas are they not playing the “working class card.” When middle class Americans complain about more efficient government services, but refuse to accept a hike in taxes, because it is draining the middle class, are they not using the “middle class card?” When a murderer pleads insane to a crime, which they clearly committed while sane are they not using the “insanity card?” When parents do a poor job of helping to educated their children it is some how not their fault, but the local prevailing school institution, is this not a use of the “school card?”

If there are so many “cards” used why is it the only card we as Americans get upset about (or causes controversy) is the use of the so called “race card.” What exactly defines a race card and can it be used with intent to avoid responsibility or can it be used to engender responsibility upon the offender?

Here’s a short story of my dealing with the race card. I was introduced to a friend of a friend one evening prior to going out on the town. The friend’s friend after politely being introduced to all our friends who were white decided it would most appropriate to introduce himself to me with a hip-hop, “Yo, yo, what’s up son.” I responded, “Do you think that’s funny?” The friends friend responded, “Oh, I was just joking man, you do not have to pull the race card out on me, I’m not racist.” My response “Why would you get angry if I were to pull the race card out, clearly you’re using that to thwart your responsibility in making such a stupid clearly racially motivated comment.”

Note-Clearly i'm not that PC sensative, but when first meeting someone you would appreciate they respect you as a person first before they decide it would funny to address you in a manner they choose not to address everyone else.

Okay, not to beat a dead horse, but I’m often confused to exactly what defines the use of the “race card.”

To posters what is your definition of the so called “race card”? Can it only be used to sheild responsibility for one's actions behind one's race or is it also legitametly used to hold others responsible for their own subtle forms of bigotry towards one's race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 12:32 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,912,077 times
VERY interesting that you should mention the false "hip hop" stuff. I've heard it myself, many times, and it 'sticks out like a sore thumb'. By the way, there are all sorts of similar 'gaffes' between races. I'm in an interracial marriage, and BOTH of us have been on the recieving end of similar "acts of stupid". It never ends.

To ME, the race card is the attempt to inject race into issues where it isn't the PRIMARY source of trouble. By that definition, many times its a matter of perception. In a true 'racist incident' the race card wouldn't be 'needed'. It's in 'questionable' cases where it's brought out. I've been in NUMEROUS situations where I've been treated shabbily or disrespectfully, and without a doubt, had I had HAD a 'race card' (I'm white), I'd have probably played it. I would have sincerely ASSUMED that my mistreatment was due to race. (occasionally, white people really ARE mistreated due to race--I've seen that, too). But the real explanation, in MANY cases, is NOT race...it's rude, nasty, people doing rude, nasty things.

Race, in our culture, simply becomes the easy "default" reason for all sorts of unkind behavior. It's an easy one to see. Sometimes it's a valid complaint, sometimes not. It's played by ALL races, at different times. The "race card" is like a "joker' or a 'trump card'. Using it can be a shortcut, where the REAL explanation may involve many difficult 'what ifs'..or EVEN sometimes. a little SELF-criticism.

Want to see a lot of 'race cards' being played? It's used quite often in the illegal immigration forum, VERY seldom in regard to blacks....yet, it IS the race card, and it IS used to explain MANY things...some valid, some just plain silly.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:42 PM

55,507 posts, read 74,405,087 times
the name calling, "racist" often comes up when people get called on their stuff?

Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 PM

14,261 posts, read 15,089,565 times
The race card is the second-to-last, desparate attempt to support one's argument.

When that fails, you're stuck with name calling.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 756,272 times
What defines the "race card?"

I was volunteering with Red Cross after the Jackson, Mississippi area had suffered a really bad flood. Part of my job was dispersing funds to affected parties to replace essential items.

We got a call that a family was requesting assistance in a certain neighborhood.

We went out and had a look. Sure enough, they had a water-line of about 2' in their house and did receive some damage. Unfortunately, Red Cross is not Americas insurance policy. They're there to disperse essentials (food, water, clothes) and possibly fund the repurchase of a few things critical to life (fridge, blankets, medicines), but not to replace whatever you lost.

No sooner than I was in the door, the man started in on how his wife lost all her CD's and stereo equipment and that she is a singer and she needs them to survive. I informed him that Red Cross doesn't replace CD's. He then proceeds to ask me if I've heard of any "accusations of racism in the Red Cross" as if to suggest that the reason I wasn't giving him money to replace the CD's was because they were black.

That would be an example of "the race card".

Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM

746 posts, read 645,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
VERY interesting that you should mention the false "hip hop" stuff. I've heard it myself, many times, and it 'sticks out like a sore thumb'. By the way, there are all sorts of similar 'gaffes' between races. I'm in an interracial marriage, and BOTH of us have been on the recieving end of similar "acts of stupid". It never ends.

To ME, the race card is the attempt to inject race into issues where it isn't the PRIMARY source of trouble. By that definition, many times its a matter of perception. In a true 'racist incident' the race card wouldn't be 'needed'. It's in 'questionable' cases where it's brought out. I've been in NUMEROUS situations where I've been treated shabbily or disrespectfully, and without a doubt, had I had HAD a 'race card' (I'm white), I'd have probably played it. I would have sincerely ASSUMED that my mistreatment was due to race. (occasionally, white people really ARE mistreated due to race--I've seen that, too). But the real explanation, in MANY cases, is NOT race...it's rude, nasty, people doing rude, nasty things.

Race, in our culture, simply becomes the easy "default" reason for all sorts of unkind behavior. It's an easy one to see. Sometimes it's a valid complaint, sometimes not. It's played by ALL races, at different times. The "race card" is like a "joker' or a 'trump card'. Using it can be a shortcut, where the REAL explanation may involve many difficult 'what ifs'..or EVEN sometimes. a little SELF-criticism.

Want to see a lot of 'race cards' being played? It's used quite often in the illegal immigration forum, VERY seldom in regard to blacks....yet, it IS the race card, and it IS used to explain MANY things...some valid, some just plain silly.
Yea i hear you I would guess the "race card" is probably most often used in service industries where people of a minority group recieve poor service, but assume the poor service is recieved because of their race etc. Or something in which you highlighted, that i would not have consider a person in the majority goes out to eat recieves bad services and assumes it is because of their race. (This happens often to Macmeal?)

In LM1s case that was a clear mis-use of the "race card" as defined by Macmeal.

In that case i have definitely seen the "race card" used in that fashion as well and i do find that use appauling, because race really has nothing to do with the overall decision being made.

However, is there ever any legitmate situation where the "race card" is being used (or in those situations does it go without saying?)

What is the interest rate on your "race card" and if I use it do i get cash back? (hehe just kidding)

Old 02-02-2008, 02:51 PM

2,923 posts, read 4,567,663 times
One time, a wizard turned me into a race car, aka he race carred me. This is where the term comes from.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also it's a good thing to say somebody's using whenever they bring up racism as if it might be a partial cause for anything, ever, aka

Guy 1 Says: "You can't deny that the geographic segregation of our country's metropolises, especially but not exclusively in the South, is at least a partial function of racism, and that the poorer inner city schools are at least a partial result."

to which

Guy 2 Replies: "Now you're playing the race card! What are you, some type of race baiter, trying to fire up a race war?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the "Race Card" is a citizenship-level indicator that will be federally issued by executive decree on the occassion that Pat Buchanan, Tom Tancredo, or any member of the Constitution Party is ever elected president or stages a successful violent revolution.

Guy 1: "Can I eat at this restaurant?"

Guy 2: "I don't know, are you white enough to?"

Guy 1: "I think so."

Guy 2: "You think so? I'm afraid I'm going to have to see your Race Card to make sure of that, sir."

Guy 1: "Here you go."

Guy 2: "Boy, it says here that you're 1/4 Eskimo. We don't serve your kind here. Go down the street and eat some Chicken Wangs(TM) instead."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, to sum up, if you are ever transformed into a race car by the wizard Pat Buchanan, who takes control of America and issues the Race Card (TM) while accusing everyone who complains of diminished restaurant choices of "playing the race card," then you will know what the race card is.

Last edited by fishmonger; 02-02-2008 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 04:47 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,912,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Yea i hear you I would guess the "race card" is probably most often used in service industries where people of a minority group recieve poor service, but assume the poor service is recieved because of their race etc. Or something in which you highlighted, that i would not have consider a person in the majority goes out to eat recieves bad services and assumes it is because of their race. (This happens often to Macmeal?)

In LM1s case that was a clear mis-use of the "race card" as defined by Macmeal.

In that case i have definitely seen the "race card" used in that fashion as well and i do find that use appauling, because race really has nothing to do with the overall decision being made.

However, is there ever any legitmate situation where the "race card" is being used (or in those situations does it go without saying?)

What is the interest rate on your "race card" and if I use it do i get cash back? (hehe just kidding)
The "race card", as I said is frequently used in the immigation forum. A person may state "I don't like illegals because they are illegal, they depress wages, they overload the system, and they refuse to adapt to the American culture"....to which a person may reply "You're lying. What you REALLY mean, is you object to them ONLY BECAUSE THEY'RE HISPANICS" (That REPLY is an example of a pro-illegal 'playing the race card'...and it could be rebutted by saying "and YOU ONLY LIKE THEM, because they're Hispanics") --which is an example of an ANTI-illegal using the race card...

Take the OJ Simpson case, long given as an example of the "black/white divide" in this nation. Simpson was a 'privileged', celebrated, well-paid sports figure, a black man with a white wife, charged with murdering his estranged wife and her boyfriend.

An angry black person,. playing the race card, may say "Simpson was singled out for prosecution, NOT because of what he was believed to have DONE, but ONLY because he happened to be a rich Black guy with a white wife--- and that's ALL he was guilty of"...That would be an example of the "black" use of the race card..(i.e., Simpson was put on trial, ONLY because of his race).

On the other hand, an angry white may say, "Nonsense! Simpson was acquited only BECAUSE he was black. Had a rich, arrogant WHITE guy been accused of killing his black wife and HER boyfriend, he'd have been locked up for life"...that's an example of the "white" use of the race card....(Simpson was acquited, ONLY because of his race).

BOTH examples ignore the specifics of the Simpson case, taking into account none of the evidence or circumstances, and relying ONLY on race to explain what did---or did NOT--happen in fact. Each version MAY have some validity, but is PROBABLY not looking at the whole picture, only at 'race", to explain how things turned out...using the 'race card' dispenses with the need to back anything up with facts or proof. The 'race card' is all the proof I need.."you did it (or DIDN'T do it), because you're a racist"...period.

Several years ago, a very large amusement park near here was accused of 'harrassing' blacks and Hispanics. It got lots of publicity, and I even heard some radio interviews by 'victims'. ALL were young males, ALL had been heavily dressed-out in 'gang attire', and they ALL readily admitted as much. Despite the park's goal of 'family entertainment', and despite these guys' ADMITTED, self-described 'menacing appearance', and despite the fact that the 'guests' in the park continue to be HEAVILY Hispanic, and a good many are black, these very few guys (most of whom weren't refused admission, but were briefly 'questioned' by security), INSISTED they'd been 'picked on', not because of anything they DID, or the way they dressed, but because of their race. One guy was quite incensed, letting the interviewer know he was active duty military. Yet, on further questioning, he admitted that on THAT day, he'd been in his "baddest" gang attire, complete with 'washable' tattoos and chains. He was 'questioned' at the gate, and insisted he'd been "dissed" for racial reasons, and ONLY for racial reasons. THAT'S the 'race card'...

Last edited by macmeal; 02-02-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 08:47 PM

116 posts, read 306,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
What exactly is a race card? We hear this term used all the time, but there has really been no defined definition as to what would qualify as a "race card." There are certainly many cards used by every group, ethnicity, individual, and fraction of today’s society. When workers who would rather not advance their skills complain about American companies moving jobs overseas are they not playing the “working class card.” When middle class Americans complain about more efficient government services, but refuse to accept a hike in taxes, because it is draining the middle class, are they not using the “middle class card?” When a murderer pleads insane to a crime, which they clearly committed while sane are they not using the “insanity card?” When parents do a poor job of helping to educated their children it is some how not their fault, but the local prevailing school institution, is this not a use of the “school card?”

If there are so many “cards” used why is it the only card we as Americans get upset about (or causes controversy) is the use of the so called “race card.” What exactly defines a race card and can it be used with intent to avoid responsibility or can it be used to engender responsibility upon the offender?

Here’s a short story of my dealing with the race card. I was introduced to a friend of a friend one evening prior to going out on the town. The friend’s friend after politely being introduced to all our friends who were white decided it would most appropriate to introduce himself to me with a hip-hop, “Yo, yo, what’s up son.” I responded, “Do you think that’s funny?” The friends friend responded, “Oh, I was just joking man, you do not have to pull the race card out on me, I’m not racist.” My response “Why would you get angry if I were to pull the race card out, clearly you’re using that to thwart your responsibility in making such a stupid clearly racially motivated comment.”

Note-Clearly i'm not that PC sensative, but when first meeting someone you would appreciate they respect you as a person first before they decide it would funny to address you in a manner they choose not to address everyone else.

Okay, not to beat a dead horse, but I’m often confused to exactly what defines the use of the “race card.”

To posters what is your definition of the so called “race card”? Can it only be used to sheild responsibility for one's actions behind one's race or is it also legitametly used to hold others responsible for their own subtle forms of bigotry towards one's race?

People scream "race card" when they don't like being confronted about their racism, from my experience.

I'm "Mr. White Boy" and my wife is a third generation Mexican-American. I've seen both.

When I complained about my Latino son's treatment at school (directly due from racism) in an all white community, I was playing the "race card" because they didn't want to own up to their own biases.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,921,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
People scream "race card" when they don't like being confronted about their racism, from my experience.

I'm "Mr. White Boy" and my wife is a third generation Mexican-American. I've seen both.

When I complained about my Latino son's treatment at school (directly due from racism) in an all white community, I was playing the "race card" because they didn't want to own up to their own biases.
THANK YOU!! When people make racist remarks and you confront them about it, they accuse you of pulling the race card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies