Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If we have an attack like Paris, do you still support your decision to allow Syrains to immigrate in
Yes, I still support my decision 28 25.23%
No, I would change my mind 3 2.70%
Neither, I don't support the decision to let Syrians immigrate 80 72.07%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The number being proposed is 10,000-- which seems imminently reasonable.
I think Kerry mentioned he wanted as many as 180,000 spread over 2016-7.

Sounds to me like there is tremendous international pressure for the US to step up to the plate. Perhaps gaining international cooperation is dependent on it.

While I am opposed to accepting any/all refugees from anywhere until such time that we resolved illegal immigration, I would be open to matching the number of refugees Saudi accepts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why are they "not the issue?" They very much ARE "the issue."

Why should we take them? There is absolutely no reason in the world why we should. America is not a dumping ground. Most of them don't even want to come here. They don't want to assimilate. They don't want to become Americans.

Further, where are the women and children? Most of them are fighting age young men. They are not "families."
Heard on CNN this morning, for what it's worth, the only men of fighting age that would be considered are those with wives and children.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:29 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
How do we tell that non-refugees who come here on student or tourist Visas aren't part of Isis?

It's mass hysteria, mixed with xenophobia over nothing.
Tell that to the French.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:29 PM

1,676 posts, read 945,482 times
There's only 1 way to: don't take any of them in.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
We can't at least not 100%, but the odds come into play.
An immigrant who comes from say Iceland can be vetted. Valid background checks can be done. Their history can be confirmed. Is it 100% fool proof? No, for who knows what evil may lurk in that person's heart? The odds are he has absolutely no affiliation with ISIS.
Now Syrian refugees on the other hand. We don't have good relations with their government at the best of times. Their Government is in shambles. Largely because of the USA's policies.
FBI directer James Comey has stated that we can't properly screen the refugees.
Looking on line there are polls that claim that as many as 13% of Syrian refugees in Europe sympathize with ISIS.
Mass Hysteria or prudent caution?
Do you lock your doors at night?
Lock your car doors when you park at the mall parking lot?
Do you have homeowners insurance?
Auto insurance?
I have had 1 accident in 36 years of driving, wasn't my fault and very minor damage. I still carry full insurance on my vehicles.
I live in a very good neighborhood. No need to lock my doors at night or in the day. I still lock them when I go on vacation. Is that mass hysteria or prudent precaution?
Too bad there are no refugees from Iceland, eh.

The truth of the matter is that most refugees lack appropriate documentation and do not hail from countries where information is available or shared.

My husband was conceived and born in a refugee camp in Germany after his family fled the Ukraine. They had to wait their turn and it took 5 years before they were allowed to immigrate as displaced people.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
The linked article above from the Washington Post indicates they are vetted with considerable care. On another thread someone posted a video link to the FBI Director stating the background investigatin process is not certain.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
There is no way to vet them reliably. There are no databases such as would be needed for the process.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Which brings into question this admins vetting process and credibility.
Illegal immigrated from the Southern borders became a tidal wave in the 80's and peaked with the housing bubble. It has not mattered who sat the oval or which party held the majority. 30 years of doing nothing is no accident.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:04 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Beyond the issue that I think this is a federal matter states shouldn't carry on this burden, the US is acting hastily, and prior to the Paris attacks already had refugees here. Question is I read the news says it's an 18 month process.

That's great and all. The question do we screen them for 18 month's then let them in the US. is it screened in a month come in over time while here we monitor you watch interview you and so forth. If it is that last option and in light of ISIS faking as refugees might have to change how we go about letting them integrate into the US.

If you have a pound of M&Ms and in that pound there are "only" 3 poisoned M&Ms.

Which M&Ms can you safely find?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Your argument is juvenile at best. You are saying that because we can't keep track of and vet all those people here visiting we should not bother to vet or keep track the refugees? What a moronic outlook. That's how you think you can keep your kids safe as a middle aged mom?
70 million unvetted foreigners from all over the world, enter the US each year

vs

10,000-180,000 time-tested and vetted Syrian refugees

As I said, I am opposed to allowing further refugees from anywhere until the US resolves it's illegal immigration challenge.

In terms of safety, I am far more concerned with the next US whack job shooting up schools, churches, malls and movie theaters than I am with terrorists. And I say this as someone who was at the WTC on 2/25/93 and 9/11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies