Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 11:55 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Fatwa? Fine. But that's talk. Until the much vaunted "moderate Muslim community" actually takes up arms to destroy these animals it really means nothing.
They were. We went in and killed them. They were largely contained in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya.....until we got involved.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's a well represented opinion.
Whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

My personal opinion is that the mess in the Middle East and in radical Islamic sects is too complex to be addressed with one liners and simplistic platitudes. There are no simple answers, and very few cut and dried "good guys or bad guys" in this situation - and I'm including the US in that personal assessment.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 PM

189 posts, read 153,217 times
Imams declaring a war on isis, is the same as republicans drawing a new line in the sand every time Obama crosses it.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,433 times
Quote:
They were. We went in and killed them. They were largely contained in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya.....until we got involved.

We went in and killed the moderate Muslims? Saddam was a moderate? Gaddafi was a moderate? The Taliban are moderates?

Have you informed any of their victims about this?

Old 11-18-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
We went in and killed the moderate Muslims? Saddam was a moderate? Gaddafi was a moderate? The Taliban are moderates?

Have you informed any of their victims about this?
Lol...do you want the leaders of these countries to control them or not?

You: We need to kill them.

Me: The old leaders were doing that when the need arose.

You: Damn them for doing that.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:07 PM

271 posts, read 390,140 times
Now hopefully they can impress upon their people to follow along with them...starting with Obama.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:07 PM

39,852 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
To be more accurate, we went in and killed those that "oppressed" the "moderate Muslims". Who then went on to kill other "moderate Muslims" and anyone else they possibly could.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
To be more accurate, we went in and killed those that "oppressed" the "moderate Muslims". Who then went on to kill other "moderate Muslims" and anyone else they possibly could.
To be very accurate Iraq was a fairly stable, fairly modern country until we went in. Was it perfect? No. But neither is the U.S. obviously.

Is it a mess today unlike before we went in? Yes it is and we have no clue how to put it back.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:24 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Some interesting bullet points picked up during the years:

*Sunni Muslims are the majority. The sect of Sunni that is causing so much trouble is called Wahhabism.

*Shi'a Muslims are the minority except in Iran, where they are the majority, by far.

*The origin of their difficulty lies in the fact that Shi'a Muslim (Shiites) leaders can trace their ancestry back to The Prophet, Muhammad. Sunnies believe that no man is closer to God than another and are insulted that the Shi'a leaders claim to be God's rightful heirs, so to speak.

*Imams are usually Shi'a. When the word is imam (not capitalized) it merely refers to a leader, like a minister, but when it is capitalized, an Imam refers to a Shi'a leader and a descendant from Muhammad.

So?
So based on what I think I know about Islam, and what I think I am reading by poorly informed journalists, the article tells me absolutely nothing!
I personally, am willing to give everyone his chance. On the other hand allowing young Islamic men of unknown origin into a country where they are free to move about seems a little dicey.

They know full well that we don't understand them, and I mean that we don't understand language or culture. I join with millions of other Americans of European origin who are totaled baffled as to why a father would kill his daughter for marrying a Catholic (to pick one).

I mean, a religion where the minister (OK, imam or Imam) can issue an order to KILL? Really? Have they been watching too much 007 stuff?

Old 11-18-2015, 12:35 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
*Imams are usually Shi'a. When the word is imam (not capitalized) it merely refers to a leader, like a minister, but when it is capitalized, an Imam refers to a Shi'a leader and a descendant from Muhammad.
Both Sunnis and Shiites have imams, although they have different roles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies