Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:42 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,531,445 times

Advertisements

Philly Pizza Shop Owner Calls 911 After He Says He Was Profiled on Flight Home | NBC New York

"A Philadelphia pizza shop owner and his friend had to call 911 in Chicago's Midway airport Wednesday night in order to get on their flight home.

Maher Khalil and Anas Ayyad said they were profiled — asked to step aside during the boarding process because a fellow passenger said he was afraid to fly with them."

Reminds me of the Maz Jobrani comedy skit where he yells at his Arab friend to stop speaking Arabic while they're flying.

On the one hand, I can see where the nervousness comes from, given current events. But I also struggle with this, it's America and a melting pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 11:12 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,888,028 times
Excuse me people are eitherAmericans of a particular heritage or they are not Americans. I.e. Americans of Palestinian heritage, NOT Palestinian American.

I'm sick of these people who refuse to assemilate and just want to suck us dry. As for speaking aribic, the pizza owner should have told the other passenger in english to shut up, that he was an American and would speak whatever language he liked.

However, it is impolite to speak a foreign tongue around others who can't understand.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,531,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Excuse me people are eitherAmericans of a particular heritage or they are not Americans. I.e. Americans of Palestinian heritage, NOT Palestinian American.

I'm sick of these people who refuse to assemilate and just want to suck us dry. As for speaking aribic, the pizza owner should have told the other passenger in english to shut up, that he was an American and would speak whatever language he liked.

However, it is impolite to speak a foreign tongue around others who can't understand.
ok first of all, they're not sucking us dry. They own a pizza shop in Chicago.

2nd, I hear foreign languages all the time. It doesn't bother me. Are tourists not allowed to communicate in public?? If you ever go to NYC, you can count at least a dozen different languages being spoken.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:17 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,346,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Philly Pizza Shop Owner Calls 911 After He Says He Was Profiled on Flight Home | NBC New York

"A Philadelphia pizza shop owner and his friend had to call 911 in Chicago's Midway airport Wednesday night in order to get on their flight home.

Maher Khalil and Anas Ayyad said they were profiled — asked to step aside during the boarding process because a fellow passenger said he was afraid to fly with them."

Reminds me of the Maz Jobrani comedy skit where he yells at his Arab friend to stop speaking Arabic while they're flying.

On the one hand, I can see where the nervousness comes from, given current events. But I also struggle with this, it's America and a melting pot.

GOOD! We are at WAR... The enemy is not a nation. The enemy is Evil intentions of a religion, itself.
There will always be unintended casualties in any war.
Welcome to the "HOLY WAR"

Old 11-20-2015, 11:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,703,330 times
These are not normal times, as evidenced by the slaughter in Paris. I too would be a little leery of some mid east men on a flight I was on too. Overly cautious ? Maybe, but that whole area is suspect right now and we can't tell the good guys from the terrorists.

I bet during WWII people were also uneasy when a Japanese or German person was around.

Don

Old 11-20-2015, 11:19 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,077,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

Lots of people on planes are impolite. They bring oversized crap and call it carry-on. They get drunk. They recline their seats. They talk too loudly. They force us to listen to their electronics.

They don't get kicked off a plane for it.

Try an international airport anywhere in the world. People are speaking all sorts of languages. Are they all supposed to switch to Esperanto or something?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:24 AM

38,605 posts, read 26,225,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
ok first of all, they're not sucking us dry. They own a pizza shop in Chicago.

2nd, I hear foreign languages all the time. It doesn't bother me. Are tourists not allowed to communicate in public?? If you ever go to NYC, you can count at least a dozen different languages being spoken.

Yeah, and they probably have half their extended family working there under the table and collecting SS disability, Medicaid, section 8, obamaphone, foodstamp card, etc.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 AM

16,237 posts, read 5,824,002 times
I travel a lot. Long flights and by long I mean 13 hours and more. The people I rue flying with are Chinese and Russians. India people can be a challenge because of their perfumes. Arabs? Normally quiet and reserved.
Why Chinese? They asa group seem to think rules, manners, common social norms like waiting your turn in line, sitting in your assigned seats etc are optional.
I have never been bothered by Arabic fliers.
Hmmm Highschool kids might be even worse than Chinese. lol

Old 11-20-2015, 12:00 PM

674 posts, read 606,500 times
If you're scared of foreign languages, it's time to grow some thicker skin.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:09 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,434,104 times
Complaining about someone speaking Arabic at an airport is like 150 students out of 38,000 students getting a college President to resign. Same kind of whiney "safe place" menarching that goes on all the time. You have to support both if you support either of these cases, or you can not be a whiner and support neither. I vote neither.

But make a choice. Either scared little children get their way (at college or the airport) and if some people have to suffer for their safety so be it. Or they're (the whinering college student or the scared busines traveller) ignored and marginalized by those of us who are adults.

We can see which way its going already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies