Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:26 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... why do the protestors seek to self-segregate? Why do they want to move backwards to "separate but equal?"
I cannot begin to provide all their reasons for doing so, but their brain is wired this way and hopefully with maturity and independent thinking they can change their thinking pattern and become what they are destined to be in life. People really need to read about youth development and how one forms their identity, so you can understand where her development has been and how it got arrested from something earlier in her life. She is a victim of her own circumstances, but she is not responsible for it all. She is an older youth people, she is not a fully grown adult who should know better. This generation has been coddled both black and white younglings, but like I said the world awaiting them is going to set them ablaze or make them get some "act right" going on. The choice will be theirs, and not ours. My generation was forced to grow up when we were teenagers, we did not get to stay within the normal development of children. It was not allowed, and you had better got on board or left behind.

Last edited by Heaveno; 11-21-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-21-2015, 10:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Perhaps a course in reading comprehension in addition to basic reading is required. She is certainly lackin in comprehension but then perhaps she is majoring in whining.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'm not going to bother reading this thread as I know where it is going. Anyone who is truly interested in understanding what this student is talking about should look up the term microaggressions.

But I doubt anyone here will. Ignorance is easier and more comfortable.
Your dismissal of the opinions of the people of this thread is a microaggression. You are attempting to marginalize those with opposing viewpoints with your prejudice and presumption. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:30 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Thank you. You make my point about ignorance quite succinctly. I expected no more from most of the posters on this site.
how so?

I have read a great deal on the ludicrous trend known as 'microagressions.' I find them hysterically funny.

if I'm feeling low, I sometimes check out this site for a chuckle.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
You are speaking into her life. Great job, and very commendable of you! I hope that she has a different way of thinking by the time she is 25, and plenty of students currently are taking six years to get a bachelor, and four years to get a two year degree if they are not stopping out. She is no exception to this ongoing trend.

Would their reason for taking so long be because they are taking breaks to travel to other states to protest something that has nothing to do with them?: Or perhaps because they are to "stressed" to complete what they started?

Can hardly wait for them to get to the real world. There may be some sign waving jobs left for them.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to bother reading this thread as I know where it is going. Anyone who is truly interested in understanding what this student is talking about should look up the term microaggressions.

But I doubt anyone here will. Ignorance is easier and more comfortable.

As you expose with every post.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:32 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
I cannot begin to provide all their reasons for doing so, but their brain is wired this way and hopefully with maturity and independent thinking they can change their thinking pattern and become what they are destined to be in life. People really need to read about youth development and how one forms their identity, so you can understand where her development has been and how it got arrested from something earlier in her life. She is a victim of her own circumstances, but she is not responsible for it all.
BS. If what you assert were true, white youth would similarly protest for 'separate but equal' facilities. They don't. Why? Because they've learned from prior mistakes and have developed both in intellect and character.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
At Columbia she is in the minority. Ninety percent of Columbia students complete in four years. How this woman can afford to stretch out her education by two years for emotional reasons is beyond me.
I too think that is poor reasoning, but once again I am not her and I do not know her perceived traumas or emotional state. Like I said before, ain't no black person I currently know has worked like the slaves nor been to subjected to the ongoing daily life of slaves, so if the slaves survived I darn sure better make it. I can only speak for me, and dare not for others.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Would their reason for taking so long be because they are taking breaks to travel to other states to protest something that has nothing to do with them?: Or perhaps because they are to "stressed" to complete what they started?

Can hardly wait for them to get to the real world. There may be some sign waving jobs left for them.
Changing majors is one biggie, and not going during the summer. Also failing classes, and having to repeat them or they work part-time and attend school part-time.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The core classes are what every student takes regardless of major.
Makes perfect sense to me.

Not every college student goes into research and usually not at the 4 year degree program.

And in spite of it being a core class there's plenty of folks with college degrees that still have no clue about history.
Why does it make sense to you?

The purpose of a bachelors degree is to prepare you to do well-rounded research on a specific topic later on in your college career. Whether students go into research or drop out of college after their bachelors doesn't change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies