Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:57 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
As an avid gun owner, I agree to some extent that not only background checks be performed but, that you also have to show a basic competency with the weapon you choose to carry. NOT limit carry but, just show you know how to use it in close quarters...safeties, reloading, and hitting a target up to 21' away, 50% of the time, NOT a huge hurdle. Also, need to attend a class or two about when one can and can not use lethal force. The movies aren't quite accurate and friends of friends "advice" can land one in the slammer.

Why the extra layers? To protect the innocent as any safe gun owner would agree. NOT to limit the purchase, carry, ownership or use of said weapons when and where appropriate. Again, once you clear this low hurdle, buy whatever LEGAL firearms you wish and there would be no limit. It's simply another commodity. The classes and basic training would go a long, long way into restoring the faith in the 2nd amendment. Right now, any *** can pretty much buy what he/she wants and then promptly leave it on a nightstand, unsecured, and with nooooo training only to start lobbing bullets at someone later.

While I endorse, encourage, and believe in one's right to protect and defend oneself, family, and the public at large, I do not think everyone is up to the task. It's not asking too much. Taking away the rights to ownership, is. So, if one can not pass the test the first go round, no problem, simply take a class or get some instruction and pass away in the near future. Not a big deal.

As it relates to Federal spending, great, so now we are 19 trillion in debt. According to you, this should "make us money". So, fair question here, when does all that money start rolllllling in ? I'm waiting? It seems we didn't get the message, sticky note, email, text, or smoke signal acknowledging all this new found "wealth" this ridiculous amount of debt is suppose to trigger.

Guy comes in the white house and we are 9 trillion in debt. NOT good. However, 7 some odd years later we are now at, or very, very near, 19 trillion...and counting.....by your logic, we should be rolling in cash.

Where's the dough? I don't see any of it at work, do you? I do, however, see quite a bit of EBT usage, free Sprint cell phones, subsidized cable, housing, tuition assistance.......

The last time I checked, you don't have to "pay any bills" if you don't incur them??? Seems to me, that perhaps its time for the government, right AND left to stop incurring these bills you seem to think are a birthright and start spending....less? After all, you can't buy things you can't afford, right? What makes us think the government has to outside of emergencies and special circumstances?

Spending $1,000 on a hammer is a bit over the top. Add interest and voila, a $20 hammer at Home Depot now costs $1,200 plus by the government's logic.

Stop the f'in spending NOW! And that goes to Republicans and Democrats. We simply spend too much. Also, entitlements, including my not-to-far-off social security is going to have to be modified.....I have no problem with that. It wasn't designed for folks living into their 80's/90's routinely. Needs to be modified. Slam the brakes on Medicaid/care fraud. Quit giving away knee braces and counseling to the tune of thousands....live with an owie once in awhile, buy some Anacin or something ; ).

It's been proven over and over again (think Spain) whenever medical care is "free" malingering becomes the new plague. And that's a bill no one can afford?
I like what you said! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 01:05 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
2) Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. How come we never hear about welfare running out of money? What's interesting is the first group worked for their money, but the second didn't.
One is funded by a trust fund the other out of the general budget. Welfare can not go broke, it can either be funded or not.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:40 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are not advised to judge all gun owners. You are advised to judge a gun as a weapon,created for the sole purpose of ending the life of a living creature.
Not true. You have never heard of guns being used only for target practice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies