Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:15 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

I have felt like a stranger in this world since childhood. I am one of the Baby Boomers that grew up in the '50's and served in 'Nam and went to college in the '70's. Only the latter, and a penchant for evaluating evidence and thinking for myself, separates me from the "pissed off older white guys" at the heart of the conservative counter reformation. These guys want to return to some version of the 'good old days' that never existed. I remember just how poor the elderly were in the '50's. Life for most of them was very rough. One of the elders in our neighborhood was working into his early 90's.

Due to the circumstance of my life I have never quite learned to accept all the rules that are never clearly written down so I have been, to quote Robert Heinlein's title, a "Stranger in a Strange Land". I have had to adapt to the changes or be miserable. I adapted to most.

Over all I like the changes that have happened since I was a kid. Sex is no longer "dirty". Rock & Roll rules. You can smoke a joint if you want in most places. You can drive across the country in 5 days or fly in 6 hours. I do not like the demise of Unions by colonizing the South or the demonizing government workers. I do not like the rampant racism shown by the police even though it is a lot like Albany, NY in the '50's.

Yeah, things have changed. Either accept the changes or suffer. If you choose the latter do not expect any sympathy from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 01:03 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have felt like a stranger in this world since childhood. I am one of the Baby Boomers that grew up in the '50's and served in 'Nam and went to college in the '70's. Only the latter, and a penchant for evaluating evidence and thinking for myself, separates me from the "pissed off older white guys" at the heart of the conservative counter reformation. These guys want to return to some version of the 'good old days' that never existed. I remember just how poor the elderly were in the '50's. Life for most of them was very rough. One of the elders in our neighborhood was working into his early 90's.

Due to the circumstance of my life I have never quite learned to accept all the rules that are never clearly written down so I have been, to quote Robert Heinlein's title, a "Stranger in a Strange Land". I have had to adapt to the changes or be miserable. I adapted to most.

Over all I like the changes that have happened since I was a kid. Sex is no longer "dirty". Rock & Roll rules. You can smoke a joint if you want in most places. You can drive across the country in 5 days or fly in 6 hours. I do not like the demise of Unions by colonizing the South or the demonizing government workers. I do not like the rampant racism shown by the police even though it is a lot like Albany, NY in the '50's.

Yeah, things have changed. Either accept the changes or suffer. If you choose the latter do not expect any sympathy from me.

How convenient to only point out the negatives of the past but completely ignore the positives there were. I personally think there were far more positives in the past than there are today. To each his own, I guess.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:06 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Nope.

Everywhere I go in this country, I see americans. Generally, I like americans. Sorry breitbart doesn't, but that's his problem, not mine.
That's because you consider illegals American citizens.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:14 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Majority of Americans feel like strangers in their own country

This country is different now from when I grew up. Thanks to liberal policies it is getting miserable. I remember much happier days.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Majority of Americans Feel Like 'Stranger in Own Country'

Do you feel like a stranger in your country?
Well the world is not white and that is being increasingly reflected in our demographics. Latin American/Mexico saw a large wave of immigration for the past 3-4 decades but it seems Asians will be the next big wave.

So if you're white and male, I'd imagine you are feeling like a stranger after dominating the world for a few centuries.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That's because you consider illegals American citizens.
Nope. It's okay if you prefer a homogenous white country, but America isn't the country for you then. I'd expect to get use to Asians for the foreseeable future.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:07 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If Christ became fully understood and His principles became ingrained within the hearts of people world wide ... there would be no profit in war; no reason for countries to fight. Scary thought for both leaders and their followers. He had to be put to death and it had to be declared by the will of the people.

In His death there is a message. If one can survive death, one can survive, even themselves. Hope for our future societies to live one with each other in peace.

I see growing pains for those living with strangers in their own country.

Very well said!

The biggest problem we have facing us today is exactly what was warned of. Christians understand what is happening. People like le roi do not understand that evil doesn't simply wake up one morning and people are instantly persecuted. It's a process of steering the masses to turn against common sense and logic. We've seen it happen under Mao, Stalin, Hitler... umpteen times throughout history.

"In end times right will be wrong and wrong will be right"

Whether it implies the end of the world, of Western culture, or the USA matters very little. One day the same people who lash out against Christian philosophy just as they do the Jews, and who believe morality is a human construct, will find themselves the ones being oppressed... and it'll be too late.

Once our rights are taken and the Constitution is lost, it'll be gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
This country is different now from when I grew up. Thanks to liberal policies it is getting miserable. I remember much happier days.
As do I, and it has nothing to do with racial background. Hell, I'm a cultural mutt, having a drop of everything from black and Hispanic, to western and eastern European in me.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb More Americans need to get passports and use them

Quote:

From your link:

"More than half of Americans, 53 percent, say they “feel like a stranger” in their own country."

I've done some traveling.

Heck, I don't even feel much like a stranger in most of the countries I've visited. But after touring even the most charming locations, it's always good to get home to the good ol' USA.

These whiners who claim to "feel like a stranger" in their own country need to get out more and gain some perspective.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:25 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Majority of Americans feel like strangers in their own country

Old 11-23-2015, 02:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:

I am a stranger in my own country when I see how much hatred there is among us toward fellow humans. Many Americans who purport to be Christians are among the worst who fear and hate. This religion thing has got to go, or people should live up to their tenets (of their faith).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies