Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:16 AM

756 posts, read 423,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Or do you think that man is somehow special? That we don't count as a part of nature - set above it somehow? be careful, you'll start to sound like those evolution-denying, Bible-thumping flat-earthers you rail against. (hypocrite).

The point above is exactly how this movement has become more like a religion than science and the alarmists refuse to see this.

Religions have started for the same underlying reasons. Nature is massive and initially incomprehensible. We invent stories to comfort ourselves, and, as these stories grow, we eventually include a degree of CONTROL in them. First it's actual Gods that we can pray to, who have control over the elements, then as science and our understanding grew, we imagine that WE can fully understand and then change the climate to be some ideal that has never existed. Pure hubris!

For Modern Man, being utterly and completely at the mercy of Nature is UNACCEPTABLE. So we've made ourselves the CAUSE of every bad thing that happens with the climate (Just about everything, is blamed on global warming, including non-climate related things, like terrorism) ... and we've made ourselves the CURE as well. We really think that we can control the climate or force it into this ideal state.

And like all good religions, there are heretics and infidels (the skeptics), there are the fire and brimstone preachers (Al Gore, James Hansen, Ehrlich, etc), there is a hell (climate with runaway warming) and there is a heaven (whatever ideal climate they are shooting for where we all live in harmony with nature).

Old 11-24-2015, 05:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,662,787 times
Its always humans fault

Old 11-24-2015, 09:42 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,468,032 times
The previous 5 mass extinctions were also due to man, right? Right? Bueller?

Ohh right. The world goes through huge periods of extinction and evolution but THIS ONE is on the human population. Thats right! It's all our fault.

What we need to do is study this problem more. So if the governments of the world can send a blank check to:

OMG! We're All Gonna Die Science Inc.
100 Climates Change Way
Crazytown, California

Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,425,872 times
We aren't killing the planet, the planet will be here LONGGGGGG after we are gone. Make no mistake about it, humans will go extinct too at some time in the future. ALL species do.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:51 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,425,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
We are just as much a part of nature as the trees in your yard, the bacteria in your feces and the fungus on a sloth's back. Didn't you ever take a science class. My god, you need to shut up... do you know what you look like when you talk like this?
Someone help me out here...how do you discuss a scientific topic with someone who couldn't spell science w/o spellcheck? It's like trying to discuss politics with a house plant.

That is very much the point. Listen closely... WE CAN'T DESTROY THE EARTH. You and your ilk keep saying this like a mantra, but repeating it over and over again just doesn't make it so. Who's being dense?!?!

So what?!? We don't go on. Yes, it sucks, but that is going to happen anyway. it might be a hundred years from now or it might take evolution millions of years to make us something very much different than what we are today (making our current selves non-existent). But when- or however, it is going to take place, as we are a natural part of things. You don't think that - of the 100's of millions of species that have gone on before us - none of them caused their own demise? You don't think that they may have caused others go before them? My god, man... this is nature at its best.

Or do you think that man is somehow special? That we don't count as a part of nature - set above it somehow? be careful, you'll start to sound like those evolution-denying, Bible-thumping flat-earthers you rail against. (hypocrite).

Yes, we could destroy it for a vast majority of our population, but again, name me one species on this planet that still exists today in the same form from which it emerged at the dawn of time. I beg you, please. But I know you can't do this, because it simply isn't possible. Nothing has. Change - like extinction - is inevitable for everything. And that includes us homo sapiens - you know, those mammals that are very much a part of the natural systems?!? I know this, because I actually have been teaching science at the college level for over 20 years.

Me rambling?!?! Hi, Pot. My name's Kettle.
And yet another hypocrite to add to this list.

Absolutely 1000% truth here.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:00 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,545,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
[snip]

Now, scientists say, the Earth is on the brink of a sixth such “mass extinction event.” Only this time, the culprit isn’t a massive asteroid impact or volcanic explosions or the inexorable drifting of continents. It’s us.

“We are now moving into another one of these events that could easily, easily ruin the lives of everybody on the planet,” Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich said in a video created by the school.

In a study published Friday in the journal Science Advances, biologists found that the Earth is losing mammal species 20 to 100 times the rate of the past. Extinctions are happening so fast, they could rival the event that killed the dinosaurs in as little as 250 years. Given the timing, the unprecedented speed of the losses and decades of research on the effects of pollution, hunting and habitat loss, they assert that human activity is responsible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-humans-fault/

I just wanted to follow up on my other post about CO2 levels. We are killing the planet yet many do not even care to face these facts. Ignorance is bliss.

As humans migrate to areas with natural resources. this will continue to occur.

Do you think we should limit human migration or do you believe we should not limit it as other species die out?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:03 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,933,847 times
Quote:
[snip]

Now, scientists say, the Earth is on the brink of a sixth such “mass extinction event.” Only this time, the culprit isn’t a massive asteroid impact or volcanic explosions or the inexorable drifting of continents. It’s us.

“We are now moving into another one of these events that could easily, easily ruin the lives of everybody on the planet,” Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich said in a video created by the school.

In a study published Friday in the journal Science Advances, biologists found that the Earth is losing mammal species 20 to 100 times the rate of the past. Extinctions are happening so fast, they could rival the event that killed the dinosaurs in as little as 250 years. Given the timing, the unprecedented speed of the losses and decades of research on the effects of pollution, hunting and habitat loss, they assert that human activity is responsible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-humans-fault/

I just wanted to follow up on my other post about CO2 levels. We are killing the planet yet many do not even care to face these facts. Ignorance is bliss.
Well, if this is true we can finally stop worrying about "climate change." There were 5 mass extinctions long before we started driving SUVs.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:04 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,767,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Paul Ehrlich. Isn't he the "scientist" that wrote about the "population time bomb" that predicted mass starvation all over the planet, even here in the U.S., by the 1990s. I'd take whatever he says with a healthy heapin' of salt.
He sure is!

Why 'The Population Bomb' Bombed - Bloomberg View

In the 60s he wrote a book claiming hundreds of thousands would die from famine, which never happened.
Let's look at some of his titles:

The Population Bomb 1968
The Race Bomb 1977
Extinction 1985
The Population Explosion 1991
The World After Nuclear War 2000
Model System for Population Biology 2004
Humanity on a Tightrope 2010
The Annihilation of Nature 2015

...can you see the jist of his mindset? This nutjob has been forecasting the end of the earth and whistling to the bank for more than 50 years.

He's Chicken Little Phd

Old 11-24-2015, 10:07 AM

4,505 posts, read 5,027,257 times
Quote:
[snip]

Then you must be one happy son-of-a-gun !

Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,767,929 times
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U
[snip]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Then you must be one happy son-of-a-gun !
Probably denies that 30k scientists believe Ehrich's science is bunk. But hey, the guy has gotten rich by exploiting simple minds for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.