Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think the answer to this is to tighten up on the definition of 501(c)3. Too many of them are thinly disguised lobbying groups (not saying this is true of the UU group in the OP.)
Which can be done as long as it's done fairly.

Quote:
If a group does meet a tightened definition for "public interest group", then I see nothing wrong with them competing for government grants.

My beef with the faith-based initiatives programs has little to do with their 501(c)3 status, and everything to do with government explicitly endorsing a particular faith-based approach to anything, whether that religion is christianity, islam, or wicca.
There is nothing wrong with having a problem with it. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Quote:
If a faith-based group is also doing public interest work in a secular fashion - for instance, feeding hungry people - then I'm good with them competing for grants along with non-faith-based groups. But there should be no tax-payer funded program specifically offering grants to faith-based groups.
Without knowing specifics, I really can't add much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 11:25 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Probably the same as the Baptist church feeding folks who got flooded out in storms
Time was, the church tended to the needs of the community without being reimbursed by the government.
Now , the Baptist in my neighborhood have the money to by 18 wheelers and put full service kitchens in them.

The state or county advertised that the grant money was available. The UU could apply just like anybody else.

As a UU I'd bet the remt money that they will be better stewards of tax money than any congressman would.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:57 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
"In God We Trust"- The Government

Old 11-25-2015, 12:17 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The government is not allowed to discriminate because of a religious affiliation. If one 501c3 group is eligible they all must be.

OK - so I say take them all off the grant list.

Quote:
I think the answer to this is to tighten up on the definition of 501(c)3. Too many of them are thinly disguised lobbying groups (not saying this is true of the UU group in the OP.)

If a group does meet a tightened definition for "public interest group", then I see nothing wrong with them competing for government grants.

My beef with the faith-based initiatives programs has little to do with their 501(c)3 status, and everything to do with government explicitly endorsing a particular faith-based approach to anything, whether that religion is christianity, islam, or wicca.

If a faith-based group is also doing public interest work in a secular fashion - for instance, feeding hungry people - then I'm good with them competing for grants along with non-faith-based groups. But there should be no tax-payer funded program specifically offering grants to faith-based groups.
There shouldn't be grants for anything right now (except maybe extreme circumstances). Definitely not training for severe storms.

We are smothered in debt.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 11-25-2015 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-25-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Probably the same as the Baptist church feeding folks who got flooded out in storms
Time was, the church tended to the needs of the community without being reimbursed by the government.
They still do.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
OK - so I say take them all of the grant list.
You can decide to discriminate against all.

Quote:
There shouldn't be grants for anything right now (except maybe extreme circumstances). Definitely not training for severe storms.

We are smothered in debt.
O.K.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:42 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That's right.

It does no such thing as long as they all are treated the same.

Note my use of the word "particular".

Old 11-26-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Note my use of the word "particular".
They can give a grant to any particular religion, as long as it's not the ONLY one they allow one to.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:27 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Post #2:
Quote:
This is a new reiteration of bush's initiative.
Faith-Based and Community Initiatives
The Bush Obama Faith-Based Office | Religion Dispatches

BTW, I opposed it when bush did it and I oppose it now that obama is doing it. Very dangerous ground, IMO.
The entire thread point undercut in the second post.

I am also against faith based initiatives because I feel it was a sneaky way to get government funds to religious organizations. Saying that, I do understand the argument that religious organizations shouldn't be discriminated against when they can provide secular services. It's the establishment clause vs. the free exercise clause.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:58 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't have a specific problem with the church group getting the grant-I have a real issue with the grant itself.

"Environmental Justice Grant"? What in the F are idiots in DC spending the taxpayer's money on?

Environmental Justice has been an issue, municipalities dumping on poor neighborhoods whether it be locating a sewage treatment plant or garbage dump in their neighborhood but I agree this seems to be a waste of money. I don't think 30,000 accomplishes much and canvasing the poor in the Boca Raton/Delray Beach area, how will they find them.

Plenty of available government information readily available about storms and how to deal with them, maybe the group could take it up themselves without any government assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies