Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
many people can afford to buy land but are denied the opportunity to buy land in increments they can afford.

you don't need a full-size lot to live in a tiny house, plus the full-size lot is an inefficient and unecological use of land which promotes sprawl.

that's similar to government requiring that milk be sold only in volumes of one half gallon or greater.
Then those people cannot afford to buy land if they can't buy it in the increments that are available.

If you are looking for a tiny lot, you could always live in a trailer park, those are tiny lots. This whole tiny house craze is nothing more than glorified trailer park living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 09:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wrong, you CAN buy property in this country, as long as you can afford said property. if you cant, tough.

as for zoning laws, as noted they protect the investment people make in the property they buy. as i have said before, and you wont get it through your thick head, if you buy a house, you dont really want an industrial company moving onto the property next door. for instance you dont want a tallow company moving next to your house and you having to put up the the stench everyday.

or suppose the city decided to put up a sewage treatment plant next door to your house? would you want that? or how about a machine shop, or foundry? or maybe someone puts up an adult club as noted above, or any number of other things that will cause you problems as long as you live there, and you lose your property value, so if you decide to sell, you will lose money as a result.

as for buying a property that has been subdivided, there are legalities involved there that prevent such things from happening. there again if you dont like it, then try to get the law changed. otherwise, shut up about it.

Zoning redistributes income upward from renters to owners, according to Thomas Sowell. Don't you oppose redistribution of income?

Your industrial company moving in next door is a false issue; I have never opposed segregating conflicting land uses.

If the city decided to put up a sewage treatment plant next door to my OWNED house, I would be entitled to just compensation. if the city decided to put up a sewage treatment plant next to my RENTED house, I would be entitled to squat.

Which is why the ability to purchase property in a size I can afford is so important to me. In your world, people below a certain economic level would be denied compensation for government abuses like your sewage treatment plant.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then those people cannot afford to buy land if they can't buy it in the increments that are available.

If you are looking for a tiny lot, you could always live in a trailer park, those are tiny lots. This whole tiny house craze is nothing more than glorified trailer park living.

Do you not understand the difference between owning and renting?

A tiny house I own is source of wealth and housing security and a tiny house I can sell for cash.

A trailer park lot is an expense rather than a source of wealth or housing security, and I cannot sell it.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Do you not understand the difference between owning and renting?

A tiny house I own is source of wealth and housing security and a tiny house I can sell for cash.

A trailer park lot is an expense rather than a source of wealth or housing security, and I cannot sell it.
You do realize a tiny home has to be mobile? Unless it is an ADU, then it is a part of the parent property and cannot be sold separately.

Maybe if this is such an issue for you, and clearly it is, you should spend your free time at City Hall lobbying for zoning laws to be changed to allow for small lots for tiny homes. Though I bet you aren't going to like the price the person who owns the land and tiny home is willing to sell for. My guess is in Portland we would be talking about $150K for a small lot with a tiny home on it. Which to do that would probably require converting a trailer park into a tiny home neighborhood.....which would be good for the trailer park owner, bad for the people living in the trailer park.

Also, with a trailer park, you own the trailer or tiny home, you rent the lot.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:37 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,596 times
Quote:
The issue I see is that people who can afford 2,500 sq ft of land but not 10,000 sq ft of land are not allowed to purchase the 2,500 sq ft they can afford.

Why do you support government getting in the way willing buyers and sellers?
2500 sq feet? How big is the house? Size limits and clearance are good for everyone in the area.

What if someone purchased one of those 2500 sq ft spaces and broke it up into 25 sq ft spaces ?

For clearity .. What are we talking when we say "small/tiny house" and "small property" ?

Old 11-27-2015, 10:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Was this post suppose to be to me? Because I agree, land is for anyone who can afford to pay for it, which is why I said owning property is not a right.
contradicting yourself again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78
No, you do not have a right to land in this country.
Quote:
many people can afford to buy land but are denied the opportunity to buy land in increments they can afford.

you don't need a full-size lot to live in a tiny house, plus the full-size lot is an inefficient and unecological use of land which promotes sprawl.

that's similar to government requiring that milk be sold only in volumes of one half gallon or greater.
Quote:
The issue I see is that people who can afford 2,500 sq ft of land but not 10,000 sq ft of land are not allowed to purchase the 2,500 sq ft they can afford.

Why do you support government getting in the way willing buyers and sellers?
then go to the local government, and get the zoning laws changed to allow for smaller houses and smaller properties, and stop complaining about minimum lot sizes.

Quote:
Zoning redistributes income upward from renters to owners, according to Thomas Sowell. Don't you oppose redistribution of income?
you are going to have to show me where sowell says this.

Quote:
Your industrial company moving in next door is a false issue; I have never opposed segregating conflicting land uses.
except that you have, every time you oppose zoning laws.

Quote:
If the city decided to put up a sewage treatment plant next door to my OWNED house, I would be entitled to just compensation. if the city decided to put up a sewage treatment plant next to my RENTED house, I would be entitled to squat.
you might be right, IF there are proper zoning laws in place. otherwise no you wouldnt.

Quote:
Which is why the ability to purchase property in a size I can afford is so important to me. In your world, people below a certain economic level would be denied compensation for government abuses like your sewage treatment plant.
again the reason for zoning laws. there are also density laws as well. not everyone wants to live in a tiny house. that is what apartments are for.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
contradicting yourself again?

No, I don't see what is a contradiction.....I said land isn't a right, we are not entitled to land ownership. The government didn't give me a plot of land when I turned 18.

I do think one who can afford to buy land should be able to buy land if they choose to. Though I do think there should be regional guidelines on how land is divided and sold.

Maybe you can explain to me what I am contradicting because I am not seeing it.....

Old 11-27-2015, 10:56 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
If Americans have a right to acquire property, what is the source of this right?
Do you live in a commune and sit around the campfire singing Kumbya?

If you can afford "property" either by the sweat of your back or by whatever means, it's yours!

Did you stay up all night just to come up with a hair brained question??

Here's a better question to save for next time:briefs or shorts?

Old 11-28-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You do realize a tiny home has to be mobile? Unless it is an ADU, then it is a part of the parent property and cannot be sold separately.

Maybe if this is such an issue for you, and clearly it is, you should spend your free time at City Hall lobbying for zoning laws to be changed to allow for small lots for tiny homes. Though I bet you aren't going to like the price the person who owns the land and tiny home is willing to sell for. My guess is in Portland we would be talking about $150K for a small lot with a tiny home on it. Which to do that would probably require converting a trailer park into a tiny home neighborhood.....which would be good for the trailer park owner, bad for the people living in the trailer park.

Also, with a trailer park, you own the trailer or tiny home, you rent the lot.

There's a newly-launched tiny home development in Beaverton which offered for sale about 80% of the houses, with the other 20% rented out.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
No, I don't see what is a contradiction.....I said land isn't a right, we are not entitled to land ownership. The government didn't give me a plot of land when I turned 18.

I do think one who can afford to buy land should be able to buy land if they choose to. Though I do think there should be regional guidelines on how land is divided and sold.

Maybe you can explain to me what I am contradicting because I am not seeing it.....
the ownership of land IS a right, but land isnt just given to you, like anything else in life you have to go out and EARN it. the right to keep and bear arms is also a right, but again firearms are not issued to everyone on day one, they have to go out and EARN them.

Quote:
There's a newly-launched tiny home development in Beaverton which offered for sale about 80% of the houses, with the other 20% rented out.
then move to beaverton and buy one of those properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies