Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 09:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Medicare premiums are tiny (~100 $ a month) compared to the benefits Medicare receiptents on average receive in a lifetime which average over 300,000$. It would take 258 years for the average person to pay enough premiums to cover their Medicare expenses. Most Americans are under the illusion they prepaid for Medicare. They only paid on average about 100,000$ and virtually all of that covered the costs of the Greatest Generation and the Silent Generation.
Remember though; in the U.S. those costs are greatly inflated due to corporate greed. In the rest of the free world they would probably equate to a meagre 30% of those costs as proven by comparison of worldwide pharma and treatment/procedure costs.

Sorta like a self-fulfilling prophecy exacerbated by a catch-22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 10:41 AM

59,026 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I've dealt with both the federal government on problems, and my insurance provider. BY FAR the government has done better. While the government is inept at times, they dont financially benefit from being inept.

If government managed healthcare was so bad, the rest of the world would not be doing just as good at providing healthcare as we do....for half the cost. Real life data trumps whatever nonsense people convince themselves of. The worst part of Obamacare is that it left the health insurance companies leaching off as the middle man with financial benefits towards providing the least healthcare at the highest cost in the world.
" BY FAR the government has done better."

I'm glad for you on that.

Most people, IMO, would NOT agree with dealing with the fed.

"they dont financially benefit from being inept." Which is unfortunate. IF they had a financial stake, they would do a better job.

".for half the cost" but, taxes would double. NOTHING is free.

Many people in countries with national health care ALSO purchase additional health care insurance, at additional costs, BECAUSE of the POOR care it provides.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:41 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
lets not get stupid here shall we? yes get government OUT of health care, specifically the FEDERAL government. some regulation is needed to make sure the insurance companies are doing what is expected of them. but we dont need obamacare with its 2700 pages of law, and more than 22,000 pages of regulations that make things WORSE for the average person, what with higher premiums, much higher deductibles, and forcing the people to pay for crap they dont need or want.

many of the things the federal government does, should be done at the state or local level anyway, rather like the 911 system for instance. 911 is operated locally as it should be. heaven help us of the feds ever take over the 911 system, those idiots would be dispatching first responders from chicago to handle cases in miami florida!!
Obamacare is regulations.

This is as stupid as the senior yelling, "get your government hands off my Medicare."

Old 11-28-2015, 10:44 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,062,999 times
ObamaCare is collapsing before our very eyes. That gives the American people hope here, but there's still a ways to go. Expansion of the free market system would offer better choices. I'm not believing anyone who says they "had a good experience with the Feds". Too much red tape.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:57 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" BY FAR the government has done better."

I'm glad for you on that.

Most people, IMO, would NOT agree with dealing with the fed.

"they dont financially benefit from being inept." Which is unfortunate. IF they had a financial stake, they would do a better job.

".for half the cost" but, taxes would double. NOTHING is free.

Many people in countries with national health care ALSO purchase additional health care insurance, at additional costs, BECAUSE of the POOR care it provides.
Loo at the % of GDP or the cost per person. Medicare for all would not double our cost. Look at the profits that insurance companies make. At the inefficiency they add to our system. A TON of people are working in managing the insurance and payments. A TON. Thats inefficiency. And the government has data to back up that they've been doing it far more efficiently then our insurance companies do.

Tell me that my taxes would go up by $200/month, but I wouldn't have to pay $800 for insurance? Game on!

As for the "poor care" argument...again...look at the real data. While we can cherry pick some place we do better, by far countries that have socialized medical care do just as good as we do.

The "private insurance" discussion? Many do not allow it. Canada for example-theres no private insurance whatsoever. It does exist in Britain however. And it simply allows you to jump the line basically. And its very rare. research it some, you might be surprised.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:57 AM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350 View Post
ObamaCare is collapsing before our very eyes. That gives the American people hope here, but there's still a ways to go. Expansion of the free market system would offer better choices. I'm not believing anyone who says they "had a good experience with the Feds". Too much red tape.
We had the 'free market' in charge of healthcare in this country for a very long time...that's why we ended up with the ACA. People paid premiums for policies that weren't worth the paper they were written on, insurers were able to dump people when they filed a claim and would deny a claim for treatment for a back injury because 20 years earlier the patient sought treatment for a stiff neck. I had a neighbor who was on a serious rant about losing her policy when the ACA was enacted. She swore up and down that her policy was better than the ACA policy when she finally showed it to me, she was paying $250 a month for a policy with a $50,000 annual limit. If she came down with cancer or had a serious injury her wonderful policy wouldn't have paid for a fraction of her bill.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:02 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We had the 'free market' in charge of healthcare in this country for a very long time...that's why we ended up with the ACA. People paid premiums for policies that weren't worth the paper they were written on, insurers were able to dump people when they filed a claim and would deny a claim for treatment for a back injury because 20 years earlier the patient sought treatment for a stiff neck. I had a neighbor who was on a serious rant about losing her policy when the ACA was enacted. She swore up and down that her policy was better than the ACA policy when she finally showed it to me, she was paying $250 a month for a policy with a $50,000 annual limit. If she came down with cancer or had a serious injury her wonderful policy wouldn't have paid for a fraction of her bill.
Yup! I've seen a lot of this. Lots of people who go on about how happy they were with their cheap insurance didn't realize that when it came time for a serious health event it covered nothing.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:07 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350
Obamacare’s opponents insisted that it would collapse since it was enacted.

But the law's first two years of full implementation went remarkably well. The number of uninsured Americans dropped sharply, roughly in line with projections, while costs came in well below expectations. Opponents of reform could have reconsidered their position (hahaha, sure.) Instead, they doubled down on their forecasts of doom, and hyped every hint of bad news.

Yes, Obamacare has hit a few rough patches lately but they are much less significant than the right-wing reaction. Health reform is still a huge success story.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:18 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yup. The ACA is only the beginning of a sensible solution to healthcare in this country.
It's one thing that the left is right about. "Free market" healthcare is not a solution today.
What we need is a government mandate on free healthcare for all Americans, run by the
States with Federal support. In order for this not to drive us broke, we need to eliminate
all the middle-men. No more greedy corporations in healthcare. They have to be taken out.
It would be like this:

- Patient: Pays in the course of normal taxation.
- Doctors, Nurses, other care providers: Government employees with representation.
- Hospitals: Non-Profit institutions. Religious establishments and other non-profit
establishments may continue providing care (as non-profits and regulated).
- Medical Equipment and Pharma: Strict price caps on allowable profits. Corporations
continue to produce these, but with limits on profits and prices, like a COLA.
- Research and Development: Continuing on all levels, for-profit, charitable, grants,
endowments, etc, with incentivation based on breaking new ground.
- Assisted Living: Fully covered, when signed by a doctor.

A system like this can be a lot more effective for everyone.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Obamacare is regulations.
now tell me something i dont know. i said we dont need the 2700 pages of law and 22,000+ pages of regulations that obamacare gave us. it could have been achieved with far less law and regulation, and it would have been far less expensive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies