Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:53 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've never heard of this and if so, that would be wrong but what states are these?
Which States Tax Groceries? | Tax Foundation

Quote:
States that tax groceries (rate if not fully taxed): Alabama, Arkansas (3%), Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois (1%), Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri (1.225%), Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee (5.5%), Utah (1.75%), Virginia (1.5% + 1% local option tax), and West Virginia (5%).

Notes: Idaho's income tax provides a $20 credit per person that is designed to partially offset the impact of taxing groceries. Also, our source for this data, CCH, cites a Kansas law that allows for a "limited tax refund available to disabled, elderly, and low-income households."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 03:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That wasn't your claim. I know states tax groceries. (The link is wrong, WV doesn't).

You said some states tax everything but raw meat and veggies. That is the list I'm looking for.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
That wasn't your claim. I know states tax groceries. (The link is wrong, WV doesn't).

You said some states tax everything but raw meat and veggies. That is the list I'm looking for.
Depends on what states have "snack tax" or some other kind of "prepared food" tax, because these states (such as Maine and Florida) have made it so complicated, that you get taxed on food that you should not be getting taxed on. Even sometimes in Maine I got taxed on poultry...that should never be happening, anywhere. I didn't save all of my receipts while living in Maine, as I never thought I would need them for proof in this kind of discussion, silly me, but there were numerous times I was taxed for items that were not raw meat or raw vegetables from the produce aisle. Numerous. It goes beyond "snacks". The retailers are so confused as to what they are supposed to be taxing, and what they aren't supposed to be taxing, that you get taxed for many things you should not. As an example, if you walk in to one store, you get taxed on milk. You walk in to another store, you don't get taxed on milk. The states that were linked are states that tax on all groceries, that was to prove my point that some states do indeed charge tax on food.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Depends on what states have "snack tax" or some other kind of "prepared food" tax, because these states (such as Maine and Florida) have made it so complicated, that you get taxed on food that you should not be getting taxed on. Even sometimes in Maine I got taxed on poultry...that should never be happening, anywhere. I didn't save all of my receipts while living in Maine, as I never thought I would need them for proof in this kind of discussion, silly me, but there were numerous times I was taxed for items that were not raw meat or raw vegetables from the produce aisle. Numerous. It goes beyond "snacks". The retailers are so confused as to what they are supposed to be taxing, and what they aren't supposed to be taxing, that you get taxed for many things you should not. As an example, if you walk in to one store, you get taxed on milk. You walk in to another store, you don't get taxed on milk. The states that were linked are states that tax on all groceries, that was to prove my point that some states do indeed charge tax on food.
Right, you don't have an answer. Retailers are not confused, you are.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Again, humans are detrimental to the environment. How much land and water do we take/destroy with our life styles, swimming pools, golf courses, Mcmansions, manicured lawns, land fills, deforestation for construction materials, air pollution?
We greatly subsidize harmful behavior like sprawl and waste (we live in a throw away society domestically mostly). We don't need to be living all on top of one another, but the single family home and yard is incredibly inefficient from an economic perspective and environmentally harmful.

Quote:
What is the environmental impact of vegetables for human consumption, corn, sugarcane for fuel?
We gotta eat first of all. This is the state of livestock count in 2011 from the The Economist:

From The Economist

All that livestock has to eat too... Eat stuff that we grow. We grow a lot of produce which takes up a lot of land and water.

I'm no big fan of growing fuel from corn or sugarcane.

Quote:
Why the need to mandate physical activity or food at all? And why target meat when its processed foods that are most unhealthy and contribute to obesity. More taxes on food will not make poorer people eat healthier. Those that are poor tend to buy foods that are unhealthier because those foods are cheaper. Taxing meat isn't going to have an effect on that.
I merely suggested and propose to tax trans fat, sodium, and sugar (HFCS).

Quote:
If you want to make people financially responsible for their health cut out all the free health care and get government out of healthcare altogether.
That's for another thread, but it's cute you think the private sector would provide better healthcare for everyone. Or maybe you don't intend it for everyone or have other goals.

Last edited by dv1033; 12-04-2015 at 06:35 PM..

Old 12-04-2015, 06:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Saw an interesting article. It talked about putting a tax on meat that would be used to help the environment. They gave examples of the money collected could use for clean drinking water or help preserve park's. Think it is a good idea...thought's?
Tax all food or none at all.

[meat discimination...!!]

Old 12-04-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Right, you don't have an answer. Retailers are not confused, you are.
Sneaky food tax gives Maine heartburn — Politics — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Quote:
Maine’s snack tax is gone, but in its place is a tax on … snacks. Sometimes. And baked goods. Sometimes. And juice, poultry and ice cream. Sometimes...

...Peter Beaulieu, director of the sales, fuel and special tax division at Maine Revenue Services, wasn’t completely shocked to learn that two of 10 local businesses taxed food incorrectly...
An apology is in order from you.

(And by the way, I was talking about white Americans, white Europeans, who are not from "over there" in that other thread.)

Old 12-04-2015, 07:48 PM

It says raw meat is taxed when prepared to eat there. Lots of states tax in this manner. And it is immoral.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
It says raw meat is taxed when prepared to eat there. Lots of states tax in this manner. And it is immoral.
You need to read the entire article. If you aren't going to be honest, you're going on ignore, fast. I am tired of people who argue just for the sake of arguing, and NEVER admit when they are wrong.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
You need to read the entire article. If you aren't going to be honest, you're going on ignore, fast. I am tired of people who argue just for the sake of arguing, and NEVER admit when they are wrong.
I read the article. It says prepared food is taxed, food you buy to fix at home isn't. Many states tax like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies