Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 11:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Same old formula. Find something you don't like. Propose a tax and say the revenue will be used for some common good. Tax passes, existing general fund allocation for said common good cause is eliminated and the politicians now have more money for their discretionary waste. The public is no better off and generally worse. California is the king of this scam and its voters continually vote for every ridiculous scheme in the name of better schools or roads.

I get that vegetarians are passionate about their disdain for meat. That doesn't make taxing everyone else and funneling the money to their special interests a good thing. How about we tax organic vegetables since low income people are already priced out of the organic produce section of the market and the well off will pony up. The money would be used to support nuclear energy development and waste disposal.

I propose a tax on brussel sprouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 11:34 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I propose a tax on brussel sprouts.
even my hatred of brussel sprouts is insufficient to change my opinion that taxing food is wrong....and im not 100% sure brussel sprouts qualifies as food.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't care since I have my own cows.
Do they drink a lot of water, possibly causing drought in your area?

Old 11-28-2015, 11:38 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do they drink a lot of water, possibly causing drought in your area?
That's it. Let's tax the water.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
even my hatred of brussel sprouts is insufficient to change my opinion that taxing food is wrong....and im not 100% sure brussel sprouts qualifies as food.

there's the rub, people would say it depends on what the meaning of food is; is cotton candy really food?

About 10 years ago Washington state had a candy tax that lasted maybe 18 months until disgusted voters overturned in a referendum. The tax depended on the legislature's definition of candy; items with flour were exempt, so for example kit kats were exempt while Snickers were taxed.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Saw an interesting article. It talked about putting a tax on meat that would be used to help the environment. They gave examples of the money collected could use for clean drinking water or help preserve park's. Think it is a good idea...thought's?
I'm not sure if meat is the thing that should be taxed but I do agree certain foods should be taxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This. Food should never ever be taxed in my opinion.
Disagree. Obesity is very costly for society and foods with trans fat, high sodium, and high sugar should be taxed additionally. People should be able to eat what they want but unhealthy foods need to be additionally taxed to offset healthcare costs.

Furthermore, while agricultural subsidies focus on food supply, we need to subsidize more nutritional food than corn.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm going to take a wild guess the people advocating for this are not suggesting a tax on vegetables. Nitrogen and phosphorous used to fertilize fields is also a huge contributor to the algae blooms and "dead zones".

These people may have an interest in the environment but the real agenda is too get people to stop eating meat.
this^^

Old 11-28-2015, 12:58 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
If you want to protect the environment, try taxing the thing that results in the most damage to it: population growth.

Actually, it's even easier than that--just stop SUBSIDIZING having children in the tax system, insurance premiums, "free" public education even for the wealthy, etc.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Disagree. Obesity is very costly for society and foods with trans fat, high sodium, and high sugar should be taxed additionally. People should be able to eat what they want but unhealthy foods need to be additionally taxed to offset healthcare costs.
Certainly as long as you will agree to tax bicycles, mountain climbing equipment, skateboards, roller skates and anything else that may result in physical injury. The key word being may, just as you may have health problems because of the choices of the food you eat. Certainly if everyone needs to pay for some people that make poor diet choices than every bicyclists should be responsible for the poor choices of some people making poor choices driving their bike.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:12 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Saw an interesting article. It talked about putting a tax on meat that would be used to help the environment. They gave examples of the money collected could use for clean drinking water or help preserve park's. Think it is a good idea...thought's?

Given that we are going to have to care for more than 100 million of us who have cardiovascular disease and other chronic problems from eating to much meat fats and all those carcinogens we put in meats, to make it more attractive for us to wolf down shouldn't we pass the tax hat to raise some money for that too. Either that or pay for all those graves because 100 million bodies sure stink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies