Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 09:58 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Women are absolutely 'forced' to wear it since age 9 by their Governments in many Muslim countries e.g. Iran, Saudi, etc.

Read about the 'my stealthy freedom' campaign.
Then you should stop your usual - painting all Muslims in the world as being the same.

Our government is not "forcing" Muslim women to wear a headscarf. Their parents may press upon them to wear it (which is personal and not political), and many at a later age stop wearing it or continue to wear it. See - that's called choice.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

What puzzles me is how this woman born in Somalia where she fled to Kenya to escape the horrors of civil war is anxious, paranoid and traumatized by a bar fight.
Uh, I think if you had someone hit you in the face with a mug, you'd be pretty upset as well.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Good point! Clothing does not have anything to do with this assault. Never has and never will. It was about language, even the victim states that it was about her not speaking English. In many of the aritcles you can read about this assault that happened over a month ago this is stated over and over and over again.

Not because of Muslim/Islam and not because of a headscarf.

Thank you for puting the final period on this asinine discussion thread.

Over 300 languages are spoken in the US. Should everyone who speaks a foreign language be attacked?

All this talk about "fit in", "conforming", I don't get it. As I asked the poster: WTH does "fit in" mean? When it comes to clothing, where does one start? Just what kind of "clothing" do these people think those who need to conform should wear?

It's interesting to see just how much power a headscarf has on some people.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
The obnoxious Walmart shoppers are part of American culture. The oppressive hijab political symbol is not. Simple.
And just what are the "politics" behind the headscarf that you refer to?

Do you quiver when you see a woman wearing hijab? Does it have that much power over you?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:09 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Over 300 languages are spoken in the US. Should everyone who speaks a foreign language be attacked?

All this talk about "fit in", "conforming", I don't get it. As I asked the poster: WTH does "fit in" mean? When it comes to clothing, where does one start? Just what kind of "clothing" do these people think those who need to conform should wear?

It's interesting to see just how much power a headscarf has on some people.
I know, just the very thought of a head scarf has them running to their bunkers. Offended by a scarf but not by the myriad of tacky clothing you can see on a daily basis. I was at a festival where a woman was wearing ripped tights, tights mind you, not actual pants, with just a shirt. Nothing covering her butt, where you could see her underwear right through the tights. Good grief. However, I just laughed & pointed her out to my friend. Was I offended? No, I just couldn't believe she thought that was a great outfit to go to a festival in.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
No, but for some it seems fair game to attack a dark-skinned person who speaks a language/dialect spoken predominantly by dark-skinned people.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:20 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
People are afraid.
This woman is in America and ignorant people like this drunk attacker need to be sympathetic. Assault is assault.

Of course if any of us who have a white face were to travel to most places in the middle east we would be a target for far worse than getting smacked with a beer mug.

I fear that if there is a Paris style attack in the US that we are going to see a huge backlash against muslims. I see people being beatup or even killed and businesses and mosques burned down.

The world is on edge and people are afraid. I suspect we will soon be hearing about more assaults on muslims.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:42 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,274 times
Quote:
Then you should stop your usual - painting all Muslims in the world as being the same.

Our government is not "forcing" Muslim women to wear a headscarf. Their parents may press upon them to wear it (which is personal and not political), and many at a later age stop wearing it or continue to wear it. See - that's called choice.
I was talking about the globe, not US.

Hijab is a symbol of oppression for many women because Governments in many countries force women to wear it.

Hijab and the Confederate flag - pride for some and symbol of oppression for others.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
White guy white guy white guy. You don't talk like a immigrant at all.

Immigrants to use these type phrases!"If I don't tow your line" The word you used as TOW should be TOE .
Exposing yourself as a lower middle class uneducated type of racist.

Here we go again" just like the Left calls Black Conservatives; Uncle Tom' I grew up around people that talk just like you and none were immigrants!

Very likely you live just outside a southern city. Living in your mothers basement, milking a supposedly job related injury claim and you have your rifle and shotgun right next to your computer and a junk car in the driveway.
"
Am I a white racist since I'm a black person that's not liberal? Or am I an Uncle Tom or coon?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I was talking about the globe, not US.

Hijab is a symbol of oppression for many women because Governments in many countries force women to wear it.

Hijab and the Confederate flag - pride for some and symbol of oppression for others.
I said that you paint all Muslims in the world as being the same. The US is part of the "globe" or "world" which means the same.

Which is it? A symbol of oppression? A political symbol? You claim it's both. You constantly give your oppressed version, but how about you explain your political version.

Maybe YOU see it as a symbol of oppression because you come from a country that is very deep in the oppression of women and that is your only reference point.

Are you suggesting that the hijab be banned in the US? For what reason? Because you have a "history" with Muslims? Do you understand why the Confederate Flag was banned? If so, it's like comparing chalk to cheese.

Muslim women are not oppressed globally but your blind hatred for Muslims doesn't allow you to absorb that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies