Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:17 AM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times

Advertisements

Now, how about you all sticking to the topic which is about the OP ED by Dr. Everett Piper?
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I agree. If colleges like these: Oklahoma Wesleyan University - Top Christian College are receiving tax payer money, that should stop. Only public universities should receive funding. Figures is it a college kid at a Christian university who has that "poor me the victim" complex.

ummm....they are in public colleges too!
nice of you to try to paint this as a private christian school issue.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:32 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
ummm....they are in public colleges too!
nice of you to try to paint this as a private christian school issue.
Yeah they're everywhere. The other extreme is the "tiger mom" parents. OK....Those kids need a safe space. Away from their completely insane parents. The link is a interesting read, the guy is right. I'm not sure what the controversy is, the only really thing I could come up with was that those kids are a tiny tiny minority. And as you point out, its not unique to christian schools.

But I do know one. It was weird having her around, she quite literally spent about half her time going on about these issues. If you could get her away from her social justice stuff, she was a great person, who wanted to work hard. But EVERYTHING had to be perfectly PC according to her specific view. micro-aggressions were a major topic with her and her friends. And...the world was a horrible horrible place. Which...she was perfectly happy to be in. I know weird right? You would have expected her to be more unhappy.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:54 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Isn't a homily suppose to give you guidance direction?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
The funniest thing about this whole conflict is that a student at Wesleyan is apparently completely unfamiliar with the focus of John Wesley's preaching. Uh, hello?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Isn't a homily suppose to give you guidance direction?
It's suppose to touch your conscience, cause reflection and a provide a guide post.

When I was president of the PTA of my kids parochial school I had the opportunity to have many deep philosophical discussions with two Pastors that alternately held the reigns of that Parish during my 8 year tenure on the PTA. Many of the summations of those discussions end up in the Weekly Sunday Homily if that Pastor held Mass vs other Priests on Parish staff.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:16 AM

I was raised in the Methodist church, and this one honestly has me flummoxed. Is the student seriously not familiar with the tenets of Wesleyanism? The whole point is to demonstrate your love for one another. It's drilled into Sunday School students from day one; Jesus, Others, You leads to JOY! I thought Piper showed incredible restraint in counseling to this young person, because his ignorance is astounding for a student who chose to attend a Wesleyan university.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-01-2015 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Blasted auto-correct

Old 12-01-2015, 10:46 AM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
^^^^^^^^ Seems like an appropriate Custom user title these days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Oklahoma Wesleyan is also a private, evangelical Christian university where - I will hazard a guess - there aren't a lot of liberals in attendance.

I think maybe Dr. Piper is a little sensitive, considering the student didn't like his homily but, apparently, didn't use any of the terms that Dr. Piper goes on in his letter to complain about. Maybe Dr. Piper, being a minister, should spend more time listening and less time complaining.
Oh, for goodness sake! The previous poster who wrote that John Wesley is rolling over in his grave is absolutely right. Before you opine further, please look him up. I had a history professor who was fond of rolling out the biblical phrase, "pearls before swine" when his students came unprepared for lecture.

One of the things that annoys me endlessly about P&OC are the number of people who forward their own social and political ends in complete ignorance of the context of the event on which they're commenting. This is most certainly the case here. A OKWU student complaining about being asked to act out his love for his fellow man is an affront to the very principles on which the Wesleyan academic tradition was founded. OKWU is not just a private Christian university. It's a Wesleyan university. The distinction matters.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-01-2015 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 11:03 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The funniest thing about this whole conflict is that a student at Wesleyan is apparently completely unfamiliar with the focus of John Wesley's preaching. Uh, hello?
So instead of counseling the student the megalomaniac used an "open letter" to make his point?

I guess passive-aggressive behavior is right up the alley of someone who views sermons as pre-planned guilt trips. Not quite at the level of the Catholic Church but a fine job of it no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies