Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

Yes another Superbowl Sunday has arrived and we here in the Peach State will enjoy great BBQ weather (sunny and 60) so it is time to throw some ribs and burgers on the grill and some beer on ice, right? Well NO! Not unless you remembered to buy it yesterday because today is also SUNDAY and the religious nutcases have decided that you and me cannot have a beer on Sunday here in the Peach State unless we either remember to get it on Saturday or we drive 40 miles to Alabama and get it today. This is the kind of government that the Republicans would love to force on everybody because they are the party of the religious nutcases and others who think that the government should have to power to outlaw anything they consider a sin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 10:30 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yes another Superbowl Sunday has arrived and we here in the Peach State will enjoy great BBQ weather (sunny and 60) so it is time to throw some ribs and burgers on the grill and some beer on ice, right? Well NO! Not unless you remembered to buy it yesterday because today is also SUNDAY and the religious nutcases have decided that you and me cannot have a beer on Sunday here in the Peach State unless we either remember to get it on Saturday or we drive 40 miles to Alabama and get it today. This is the kind of government that the Republicans would love to force on everybody because they are the party of the religious nutcases and others who think that the government should have to power to outlaw anything they consider a sin!
Oh please - inability to buy booze on Sunday (or election day) has been around in many states for MANY years -

Solution? You should have remembered to buy beer yesterday. It is no different than last week. Or, last year

Old 02-03-2008, 02:40 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I'll make you a deal, Kev. Send some of that sunshine and warmth up here to Washington state where we're buried under three feet of snow and haven't seen temps above freezing for a week, and I'll send you down a few cases of ice cold brew. (I know it's cold -- it's been outside in the snow for an hour! )

Old 02-03-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Oh please - inability to buy booze on Sunday (or election day) has been around in many states for MANY years -

Solution? You should have remembered to buy beer yesterday. It is no different than last week. Or, last year
I actually bought mine Thursday. Just because it is does not mean it should be. I guess we should be greatful because until about 17 years or so ago you could not buy ANYTHING on Sunday here except diapers and Bibles!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'll make you a deal, Kev. Send some of that sunshine and warmth up here to Washington state where we're buried under three feet of snow and haven't seen temps above freezing for a week, and I'll send you down a few cases of ice cold brew. (I know it's cold -- it's been outside in the snow for an hour! )
You must be in eastern Washington. I lived in Everett when I was like 6 and it just rained there- like every friggin day!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:04 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,413 times
I can just go out to the closest military base and hit the Class 6. Just one more benefit of serving my country.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:08 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
I always found these laws to be strange especially in places like Alabama where they still have "dry" counties. I'm so glad I live in Florida where I don't have to worry about such nonsense except for the cutoff hours which are 2 AM in Orlando and Miami serves till 5 AM. We are the party state!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
=KevK;2710918]. This is the kind of government that the Republicans would love to force on everybody
It is? Sound the alarm! Alert the media! "Republican voters demanding a nationwide banning of Sunday beer sales!!!"

I'll tell you this my friends, this beer swilling Repub is going to start campaigning for Spuds McKenzie.

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 PM

607 posts, read 922,879 times
There are many, many dry counties in Texas. The kids at Texas Tech all drive out of the town to get trashed and then drive home drunk since you can't buy in Lubbock. You can't buy liquor after 9 p.m. anywhere in the state except a bar, and they can only serve til 2. Thankfully, many counties are overturning these OUTDATED and needlessly restrictive laws.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I always found these laws to be strange especially in places like Alabama where they still have "dry" counties. I'm so glad I live in Florida where I don't have to worry about such nonsense except for the cutoff hours which are 2 AM in Orlando and Miami serves till 5 AM. We are the party state!
If I'm not mistaken, you can't buy beer until after 12pm on Sunday in Florida. Yes, in Alabama we do still have "dry" counties. I don't know what the purpose of it is, but it's not very effective. People from the next county simply drive 20 miles into our county and buy beer to take back home. Even in the dry counties, some of the little "mom & pop" type stores still sell beer but it's hush hush and hidden in the cooler in the back room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies