U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-05-2015, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,196 posts, read 2,345,642 times
Reputation: 2617

Advertisements

Whatever coward just wrote in my reputation area but was too scared to signed their name, give it up. YOU are wrong. No schooling going on at all and not an issue of rudeness. Some people just don't grasp the breadth of culture.

No one has been immersed in every culture to experience all aspects to make the assessments and comparisons that are so desperately needed by some people.

 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,196 posts, read 2,345,642 times
Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You admit that some aspects of a culture are inferior.

Is it not irrational to then posit that all cultures will be equal?



So you admit that 1815 American culture has inferior aspects to 2015 American culture.

Do you think that magically as we improved certain aspects of our culture over the past 200 years that other areas magically worsened to balance out?
We are back to my earlier statements.

No one has been immersed in every culture to experience all aspects to make the assessments and comparisons that are so desperately needed by some people...such as yourself.
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:14 AM
 
16,664 posts, read 9,042,516 times
Reputation: 6736
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
We are back to my earlier statements.

No one has been immersed in every culture to experience all aspects to make the assessments and comparisons that are so desperately needed by some people...such as yourself.
#1 So you admit that assessments can be made that a culture is inferior if one has been immersed in the two cultures being compared?

So an escaped person from North Korea who gets into South Korea could validate my claim that South Korea has a better culture?

So the escaped person from ISIS who joined, but defected back, that was on the news talking about the evil actions and beliefs of ISIS can in fact confirm that ISIS culture is inferior?

I have a student from India. She spent most of her life in India, has moved to America and has point blank said she will never go back to India, because of the worse culture conditions for women. I know a Chinese and American couple that moved here (on my street) for the same reason.

And I win - YES!

They have been immersed in both cultures and have said culturally it is better here. I win, per your argument. Thanks!


#2 If I can't judge a culture (which are the widely accepted beliefs and actions of a people) for the common themes, then it seems as if I shouldn't be able to judge individual actions and beliefs within that culture.

#3 I don't have to be immersed within the cultural institution of slavery to know that it is morally wrong. Seems like I can judge a wide variety of actions/beliefs (ie a culture in general) without being immersed within it.

#4 So once again, you are dodging:

You will go on record right now, and say that as a whole American culture has not improved over the past several centuries?


#5 Why do Syrian refugees travel dangerously hundreds and hundreds of miles to reach Europe? Why not stop in neighboring countries with similar cultures to Syria? Why are they not walking to Ethiopia? Why are they not walking to somewhere else?

Is it not because European culture has a generous safety net and religious freedom that they find overall superior to that of their own region?
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,196 posts, read 2,345,642 times
Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
#1 So you admit that assessments can be made that a culture is inferior if one has been immersed in the two cultures being compared?

So an escaped person from North Korea who gets into South Korea could validate my claim that South Korea has a better culture?

So the escaped person from ISIS who joined, but defected back, that was on the news talking about the evil actions and beliefs of ISIS can in fact confirm that ISIS culture is inferior?

I have a student from India. She spent most of her life in India, has moved to America and has point blank said she will never go back to India, because of the worse culture conditions for women. I know a Chinese and American couple that moved here (on my street) for the same reason.

And I win - YES!

They have been immersed in both cultures and have said culturally it is better for girls here. I win, per your argument. Thanks!


#2 If I can't judge a culture (which are the widely accepted beliefs and actions of a people) for the common themes, then it seems as if I shouldn't be able to judge individual actions and beliefs within that culture.

#3 I don't have to be immersed within the cultural institution of slavery to know that it is morally wrong. Seems like I can judge a wide variety of actions/beliefs (ie a culture in general).

#4 So once again, you are dodging:

You will go on record right now, and say that as a whole American culture has not improved over the past several centuries?

It is NOT that hard.

The condition for women is just one aspect of culture. Respect for parents is another. Value for education is another...and on and on.

So again, no one has been immersed in every culture to experience all aspects to make the assessments and comparisons that are so desperately needed by some people.

You are free to label cultures as superior or inferior though, as someone else is free to view it as stemming from insecurity.

American culture has improved in many aspects and it has deteriorated in others.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-05-2015 at 09:27 AM..
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:25 AM
 
16,664 posts, read 9,042,516 times
Reputation: 6736
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
It is NOT that hard.

The condition for women is just one aspect of culture. Respect for parents is another. Value for education is another...and on and on.

So again, no one has been immersed in every culture to experience all aspects to make the assessments and comparisons that are so desperately needed by some people.
You don't need to be immersed in every culture to compare 2 cultures.

I can give you a long list of people who have been immersed in 2 cultures and have made judgments.

Boom /end thread.


You honestly think that US culture from 1815 is not inferior to culture today?
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,196 posts, read 2,345,642 times
Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You don't need to be immersed in every culture to compare 2 cultures.

I can give you a long list of people who have been immersed in 2 cultures and have made judgments.

Boom /end thread.


You honestly think that US culture from 1815 is not inferior to culture today?
It's not that hard.

Again, I will repeat. You are free to label cultures as superior or inferior though, as someone else is free to view it as stemming from insecurity.

American culture has improved in many aspects and it has deteriorated in others. People make judgments about aspects of cultures all the time. And? That's different from what you and others are doing here, but refuse to admit.
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:39 AM
 
16,664 posts, read 9,042,516 times
Reputation: 6736
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
It's not that hard.

Again, I will repeat. You are free to label cultures as superior or inferior though, as someone else is free to view it as stemming from insecurity.

American culture has improved in many aspects and it has deteriorated in others. People make judgments about aspects of cultures all the time. And? That's different from what you and others are doing here, but refuse to admit.
The fact that you dodge so many intellectual points and make contradictory points means that tacitly you admit that I am right, you are just too stubborn and set into your PC version of the world to admit it.
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:43 AM
 
16,664 posts, read 9,042,516 times
Reputation: 6736
ISIS defectors originally from the west talk about the inferior beliefs and actions (culture) of ISIS.

ISIS defectors from the west have been immersed in both cultures.

Isis defector speaks on why he left militant group after six months fighting in Syria | Middle East | News | The Independent


Isis defector speaks of life inside brutal jihadist group - BBC News

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/wo...ment.html?_r=0
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:45 AM
 
36,160 posts, read 16,163,930 times
Reputation: 9723
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You don't need to be immersed in every culture to compare 2 cultures.

I can give you a long list of people who have been immersed in 2 cultures and have made judgments.

Boom /end thread.


You honestly think that US culture from 1815 is not inferior to culture today?

It's inferior to what it was back in the 1950's. The exception would be the way that Blacks were treated back then.
 
Old 12-05-2015, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,196 posts, read 2,345,642 times
Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The fact that you dodge so many intellectual points and make contradictory points means that tacitly you admit that I am right, you are just too stubborn and set into your PC version of the world to admit it.
Nope...more like misery loves company. You're just mad that I am not joining you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top