U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:41 AM

16,774 posts, read 9,113,254 times

Advertisements

In college I had a professor argue that all cultures are relative and you cannot deem one culture superior to another culture.

I strongly disagree.

If we can judge actions and beliefs as right or wrong. We can judge cultures for the support or lack of support for those actions/beliefs - the values they hold.

For example, the US has improved its culture over the centuries. Slavery has been done away with. Women have gained the right to vote. In the year 1815, both slavery and the political inferiority of women were protected by law due to the culture of the country. Our culture is obviously better today on these issues.

Is not the culture of modern day Germany superior to the culture of Nazi Germany in the 1930s. Is not US culture superior to that of the culture found within ISIS where they buy and sell sex slaves, throw accused gays off of buildings, and etc...

Cultures are human constructs and therefore none is perfect, just like humans. Some cultures are simply inferior to other cultures with more imperfections.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:46 AM

17,028 posts, read 9,555,536 times
Of course, it would be nonsensical to argue otherwise.
The evidence is insurmountable.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:07 AM

756 posts, read 339,343 times
Agree.

Excellent point:
Quote:
If we can judge actions and beliefs as right or wrong. We can judge cultures for the support or lack of support for those actions/beliefs - the values they hold.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:39 AM

8,043 posts, read 3,153,252 times
Some cultures have a history of success, some do not. Some cultures, and even sub-cultures, have a history of abject failure. In that sense, some can be deemed superior to others.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:43 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,039,525 times
The Left would disagree. They believe Islamic culture of oppression of Women, LGBT, and Minorities is just as good if not better.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:50 AM

16,939 posts, read 11,819,702 times
Superior, inferior are meaningless words without a reference point and useless when talking about culure.

One culture may be less desirable or repulsive from another culture's perspective.

A culture can be evaluated based on its negatives or positives, depending on the ethnocentrist's perspective.

'Ritual in Nacirema'is a classic on cultural perspective.

Difficult to wrap my head around declaring a culture has 'improved'. A culture evolves, the positive or negative evolution is definitely a matter of persepctive within and outside that culture.

Our culture of guns and freedom is sacred to many, embarassing or undesirable to others. Our charity is rarely ever celebrated.

Based on our culture the criminal code of many countries in the middle east is barbaric. Euro countries are repulsed by the US death penalty. Our culture has embraced the murder of thousands of innocnet lives in the form of institutionaly endorsed abortions.

All cultures evolve, isolated cultures generally more slowly. The US culture is very dynamic. Euro culture has been static up to this point. Culture is a country's standard operating procedure manual. When a sudden influx of mass migration takes place, turmoil ensues. Like dumping all the ingredients of a recipe into a bowl in one shot rather than blend the ingredients and avoid having to crush all the lumps the stirring doesn't resolve.

We have a culture of tolerance which is a sword that cuts both ways. We are tolerant of colossal government waste which deprives the taxpayers and the needy of quality of life and needed help. We have institutional laws which protect a list of endangered species, both human and animal. Laws help direct the culture evolved from religious roots and community peer pressure.

Always avoided the word 'superior' unless it referenced physical location of anatomical features or physical location. Presses my buttons when someone talks about their 'superiors'.

These broadheads are superior to another brand in regard to penetration, holding a sharp edge or causing hemmorrage.... direct comparison for technology is suitable to use the word 'superior' as in a marketing campaign.

Your prof just didn't explain his position well enough.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:52 AM

24,798 posts, read 9,660,987 times
Ok, identify and rank the existing "cultures". In the footnotes section, explain the criteria.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:53 AM

26,304 posts, read 12,848,926 times
add the word "in general" and I think I might agree. But it does depend on your goals. Economically you can compare them and get objective results, but when you start talking morally its more complex as it depends on your point of view. I'm quite proud of our American cultures results, but others may have a different view of it. Shrug. I dont spend a ton of time considering it.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:08 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,463,780 times
I think we need to tread very carefully with this one.

There are certainly actions that are commonplace within cultures that are objectionable. That being said, I'd say that "culture" is much broader than specific actions. For example, there are "respect authority" and "question authority" cultures. If a violent dictator shows up in a "respect authority" culture, should we try to change the culture, or simply remove the dictator that is taking advantage of that culture? Likewise, if massive government inefficiency shows up in a "question authority" culture, should we try to change the culture, or take steps to improve government efficiency for the citizenry? It's something to ponder in my opinion.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:28 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,824,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The Left would disagree. They believe Islamic culture of oppression of Women, LGBT, and Minorities is just as good if not better.
As I explained to you in another thread, Conservatives and ISIS have much more in common. In fact, I can't think of one thing ISIS and 'the Left' have in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or