Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:43 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The obstructionist leftists continue to say "no" to ANY attempts to change a badly flawed bill.

Why am I not surprised?
What were these changes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They had to change their plans to be Obamacare-compliant, which were more expensive to both employers AND their employees (despite Obama's promise that premiums would cost $2,500 less per family - but we all know Obama's word is worth jack sh*t ). As such, Cadillac plan benefits were lost. People have told you that here on city-data many times.

I'm still waiting for my 3,000% reduction in premiums...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U68UKtf8lAU

And the useful idiots clapped and cheered, having all failed basic math.
Of course they would clap and cheer, Santa is speaking.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lifestyle changes? How are you going to do that
Emulate the UK's national health care.
Quote:
"...four in five NHS areas are rationing surgery and other treatments for patients with a high body mass index, while almost two in three are refusing to treat smokers."
Most NHS areas refuse surgery for obese patients - Telegraph

Old 12-03-2015, 12:17 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't know what you mean that [the ACA] "passed without 1 single vote in either chamber of Congress." The ACA passed by majority vote in both chambers.

What do you SPECIFICALLY mean by "fixing" Obamacare? What is wrong and what do YOU propose to address that problem?

If you think the cost is too high, how do you mandate that private companies charge less? Or, do you propose a bigger subsidy?

LOL! There are thousands of really damaging specifics in Barrycare that were never revealed to the public before it was passed, but now those same Democrats demand all kinds of specifics (so they can nitpick them) before anything is changed.

You got us into this mess... Nobody wants your "help" getting us out of it.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:29 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They had to change their plans to be Obamacare-compliant, which were more expensive to both employers AND their employees (despite Obama's promise that premiums would cost $2,500 less per family - but we all know Obama's word is worth jack sh*t ). As such, Cadillac plan benefits were lost. People have told you that here on city-data many times.
Changing plans to be more expensive is not avoiding Cadillac designation, it's the opposite.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Changing plans to be more expensive is not avoiding Cadillac designation, it's the opposite.
Yeah, it's known as becoming Obamacare-compliant. Still more expensive, with fewer benefits. Ask employers and their employees...

Obamacare costs skyrocketing | Boston Herald

Old 12-03-2015, 01:45 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Really, you offer little other than a complete unwillingness to discuss and demagoguery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
a) If all you are interested in is government controlled insurance, then yes you will have limited ability to think outside the political box.I don't see how repealing the ACA provides more coverage.
b) One instance? Chuckles?Insurance companies already exist across state lines. Empire of NY is the same company as Empire of NJ.
c) I did not use the mandate word, now did I?are conservatives now really going to pass laws mandating "lifestyle changes?"
d) That is the fallacy of health ins reform. It does ZERO to affect costs.Tort reform has no impact on health insurance costs.
e) Guts? This is a forum to discuss, not a IFC fight. Attacks are not worthy of further response.what, specifically, are "commonsense" regulations? If you are going to repeal a regulation, at least have the guts to name it.
f) Means employers and or government assist. Not up to 400% of poverty level. Got any ideas beyond the party line? Thought not.What does "premium share" have to do with those who had no access to health insurance?
g) The government has no business in business. Again, the war on healthcare costs, and even wider coverage is more than just grabbing control of the health insurance portion.No mandates? Then everyone would not buy insurance until they need it and then buy insurance ONLY when they get sick or need to go to a hospital. Sorry, no insurance can work under that condition.
h) No it is not. Again, what idiot would insist on complete and perfect ideas to begoin a discussion? Answer, only one who wants to have no discussion. You see.what does limit the government's control mean? I think that is so broad it is meaningless.
i) Lack of intent to discuss. Also known as demagogary of a point of view.cutting people out of coverage who you think are undesirable really doesn't drop the cost of coverage much.

It wasn't intended to be specific, rather a starting point. Only one who really is not interested in an open dialogue takes your point of view.I don't see anything specific in that vague list that cold be turned into legislation.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:14 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Never give up on ideas. There is plenty of time to vet them. Rejecting out of hand and without trying only proves a closeness of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
a) Ah, but the 51st or 59th time might be the charm.repeal it- that's been tried over 50 times now, didn't work and won't work in the future.

b) Yet, MTAtech (Johnnie Gruber, perhaps?) points out it is being done in NY/NJ. So, it can be done. The cost of compliance with multiple and various state laws is the impediment. Not suggesting any mandate to harmonize state laws either.any insurer can get a state license in any state or states they choose, insurance companies are pimping the idea of an insurer being able to sell across state lines with a license in only one state because they want to operate out of a state with the least regulation and consumer protection and -just like the credit card industry does.

c) I spoke of incentives, not legality, not mandates. Here is an idea works >Take a pack a day smoker whos spends 2K per year on cigs. Offer her 2K per year to quit. The real incentive is 2K+2.2K (the pre tax income at 10% rate to buy a $5. a pack a day. No, though, as a way to thwart ideas, to thwart discussion I've noticed the progressive debate tactic of asking questions, not submitting counter ideas, or thoughts. Possibly effective, but really lazy. lifestyle changes? How are you going to do that, make sugar fat cigarettes and alcohol illegal?

I submit it is not very effective tort reform.d)tort reforms are already in effect in most states, the estimated reduction in medical costs if malpractice lawsuits were capped in all states is calculated at a savings of about 1/2 of 1%

e) Nice talking point but ignores that those sorts of things can be guarded against with thoughtful, not dead of the night legislation. Lazy response redux.commonsense regulation? lol what is that supposed to mean, that we can go back to allowing insurance companies to cancel policies when a person files a claim?

f) Incentives to employers who provide health insurance. Premium assistance for those who do not have employer coverage, from the government where needed, but not at the 400% poverty level, for say targeted weight reduction.Incentive for premium share? sorry I have no idea what that means

g) Rates are already on the launch pad to skyrocketing. There are always exceptions to any plan, but it does make it easy to demagogue. I see no discussion here. Just closed mindedness.no mandates? Right..only the sickest, oldest people will buy insurance no sense making young healthy people buy into the system..not only would rates skyrocket but someone will have to foot the bill when those healthy youngsters get in a motorcycle accident and run up a 500K hospital bill.

h) Of course, you would say that. And, I knew it when I typed it. However, until one is on the side of limited government, then vague or specific limiting of government, is a foreign concept. That said, the only addressing you wish to do is 'government is the answer'. We disagree on that, by about 179 degrees.limit government control? too vague to even address..

i)No, death panels are a progressive idea. Something as simple as BMI at an annual physical and a targeted weight loss program that has an incnetive associated with it, is pretty simple to administer and manage, is private, rewards and helps to provide more coverage, by providing premium assistance and lowering chronic disease instance. Thus improving health outcomes. As is well-known, a glass of wine, (2-4 oz) is good for ones health. A lot of hyperbolic stubborn resistance in your response approach. Have a glass of wine, then try more reasoned responses.limit coverage- ok so we will have a panel who will do a background investigation on everyone who applies for insurance? You used cocaine once 30 years ago and now you just had a heart attack, no insurance for you! You drink wine with your dinner, and now you have a damaged liver, could have been from drinking- so no insurance for you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies