U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:07 PM

79,346 posts, read 33,653,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
We have known for years that health insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies are ripping off this country. Instead they blame it on Obamacare, lawyers and anything else to cast blame anywhere it actually belongs.

If this country does not have the balls to fight these two industries, nothing will ever change. Why should it? They, their shareholders and their lobbyists are doing great. This has been an ongoing national problem since 1989.

If you are one of those suckers blaming Obama, then you are playing right into the hands of the insurance and pharmaceutical industries.
Because it wasn't the Obama administration that allowed them to write the bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 04:19 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Do you think ANY business that sells products or provides a service that is "beneficial" to mankind should return a profit?
No, I think healthcare is unique

Markets work very well in certain circumstances.

In other circumstances, they don't work, but we let it slide.

In rare circumstances, not only do they not work, but they fail to meet minimally-acceptable outcomes in terms of moral, civilized behavior.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:29 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,742,053 times
Quote:

A half-billion in losses in two years.

When will people learn that the government is not an expert at anything. When will people learn that the government should not be anywhere near a company's revenue stream.

Ford stayed away from all of the government auto industry nonsense, and was much better off in the end.
You mean they made less money because they had to insure sick people?

Old 12-02-2015, 04:48 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,499,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Really? They lost half a billion? Hmmmmmm

From April (1.4 Billion in profit that QUARTER):
http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/304169977
2014: over 5 billion in profit:
http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/150129988

Yeah, they're just dying there. Their stock is up from 100/share in January, to 119 today.

I want to lose as much money as they do!

dont fall for this nonsense. UnitedHealthcare is just trying to improve the regulations they operate on, so that their income can be even more obscene. Don't fall for this nonsense.
You obviously don't know anything about business and their financials. A company can have huge losses in one segment of their business and still be profitable overall.

Try again.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:54 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,742,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You obviously don't know anything about business and their financials. A company can have huge losses in one segment of their business and still be profitable overall.

Try again.
Dude, United Care should not make any profit. They do not provide any health care-----they simply collect premiums from gullible folks like you, pay the docs and hospitals, and keep the rest as profit.

The paper work they do to insure people could easily be done for a fee and the premiums would go down for the consumers.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:24 PM

32,542 posts, read 16,651,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You mean they made less money because they had to insure sick people?
Yep. Sick people hanging on is just bad business.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,544,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Dude, United Care should not make any profit. They do not provide any health care-----they simply collect premiums from gullible folks like you, pay the docs and hospitals, and keep the rest as profit.

The paper work they do to insure people could easily be done for a fee and the premiums would go down for the consumers.
People welcomed insurance into their lives.
They didn't want to pay for doctors and prescriptions out of their own pocket.

Realize what health care and health insurance once was and what it has turned into today.
Insurance was purchased to cover hospital stays.

We've come a long way since then. And it didn't turn out to be based on good decisions and/or mandates.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 PM

8,088 posts, read 4,424,278 times
Oh, I am completely serious about it. It is a tough world out there. I have a grandson, born with mild cerebral palsy. He is one tough kid, involved in life, giving no quarter, making no excuses. Are there others with more serious problems sure. But, the main point is we as a nation are a bunch of wimps, fat wimps.

Very little of the chronics, the vast majority of health care costs, isn't anything other that lifestyle related. You want to be fat, have knee replacements, develop type 2, develop high blood pressure, high chlolestral, in general put stress on most of your internal organs, be my guest. But, not on my dollar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
We both know that's an absurd way to look at healthcare.

People are born every day with disorders and problems that are beyond their control. People develop them, too. People have accidents happen. Often these are combined with a job loss and financial trouble.

"Tell the fat people to stop eating so much" is a glib way to approach something very, very important, and kind of tells me you aren't at all serious about this.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:37 PM

8,088 posts, read 4,424,278 times
Only time I think about GMO is when someone mentions it. It passes pretty quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I'll bet you also believe GMO's are terrific... right?

There's rarely not a contradictory poster in these forums.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:42 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,544,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Oh, I am completely serious about it. It is a tough world out there. I have a grandson, born with mild cerebral palsy. He is one tough kid, involved in life, giving no quarter, making no excuses. Are there others with more serious problems sure. But, the main point is we as a nation are a bunch of wimps, fat wimps.

Very little of the chronics, the vast majority of health care costs, isn't anything other that lifestyle related. You want to be fat, have knee replacements, develop type 2, develop high blood pressure, high chlolestral, in general put stress on most of your internal organs, be my guest. But, not on my dollar.
America has been one of the most unhealthiest nations among first world nations for years now.
And even the CDC confirms that most of the chronic illnesses are lifestyle related (I posted a link earlier).
And we are also the most pill popping nation on earth..the US consumes 80% of all drugs globally produced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or