U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:40 PM

11,087 posts, read 6,988,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the ACA should have put the health insurers out of business to begin with. Their role can be filled more efficiently and effectively by the federal government.
?? You think government workers can process claims better than insurers? Half of medicare claims processed by goverment workers today are fraudulent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 12:42 PM

66,447 posts, read 30,309,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Thats kind of my point, informedconsent trots this out to defend the corporate stock market without comprehending that the retirement plan assets are not as involved in the stock market as directly as he seems to believe.
They are, though. For example, CalPERS has $80.4 billion invested in domestic equities, alone.

Corporate profits are absolutely essential to fund American workers' and retirees' pension plans and retirement accounts.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 PM

66,447 posts, read 30,309,848 times
Quote:
Open my eyes to what? I don't have an issue with profits. Profits are great. But affordable healthcare with quality outcomes outweighs that when looking at the profit vs. cost issues in health insurance, hospitals, intellectual property, tort law, etc.
At less than 4%, there's very little profit there. Now if health insurance companies were raking in a 20% profit, like accounting firms, you'd have a point. But they just aren't.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:51 PM

32,441 posts, read 16,612,446 times
So, let me see if I have this right.

United Healthcare, who is ostensibly in the business of seeing to it that their customers can receive healthcare, takes in premiums and cover healthcare costs. In the past year, United Healthcare covered more costs than expected. In other words, their customers received more medical treatment for their money. More money spent on aspirin and hospital beds, doctors and nurses. Isn't this, y'know, a win for humanity?

Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 PM

13,118 posts, read 4,475,221 times
ONLY people who are getting this completely free or next to free like this. NOBODY ELSE! My cousin has a Medicaid plan from the exchange and he has better coverage than I do and I pay A LOT for my plan. So here's the deal folks, you must chose to either have a job or health care with Obamacare. Quit your job and you will get a great FREE plan that covers a lot. Keep your job and pay WAY TOO MUCH for crappy coverage.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:56 PM

78,852 posts, read 33,532,796 times
Quote:
Be that as it may , as I recall the outcome of that case was : "The government cannot force people to buy health insurance."

It doesn't say that the government cannot tax people and pay for healthcare with those revenues.
Do you not support single payer also?

Old 12-02-2015, 12:58 PM

4,916 posts, read 3,669,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
UnitedHealth CEO regrets entering ObamaCare
The CEO of UnitedHealthcare on Tuesday said he regretted the decision to enter the ObamaCare marketplace last year, which the company says has resulted in millions of dollars in losses.

UnitedHealth, the country’s largest insurer, announced last month that it would no longer advertise its ObamaCare plans over the next year and may pull out completely in 2016 — a move that sent shockwaves across the healthcare industry.

Now, UnitedHealth officials have said that move will result in a half-billion dollars in losses over two years.

A half-billion in losses in two years.

When will people learn that the government is not an expert at anything. When will people learn that the government should not be anywhere near a company's revenue stream.

Ford stayed away from all of the government auto industry nonsense, and was much better off in the end.
Wasn't United Health a giant lobby FOR Obama care? If so, they got what they asked for.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:59 PM

78,852 posts, read 33,532,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
?? You think government workers can process claims better than insurers? Half of medicare claims processed by goverment workers today are fraudulent.
This is something that those like myself that want single payer have to face and have to address. Unfortunately few will. Those against it will legitimately point our the mess the V.A. is in and it is. It doesn't have to be.

We refuse to hold politicians responsible for the mess because we hold our politics high above our principles or what is really important.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:59 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,489,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So, let me see if I have this right.

United Healthcare, who is ostensibly in the business of seeing to it that their customers can receive healthcare, takes in premiums and cover healthcare costs. In the past year, United Healthcare covered more costs than expected. In other words, their customers received more medical treatment for their money. More money spent on aspirin and hospital beds, doctors and nurses. Isn't this, y'know, a win for humanity?
More money going out than money coming in. Not necessary "more medical treatment".
And companies cannot operate year after year with a loss.

And if HHS didn't suspect it would happen they wouldn't be manning programs like the risk corridor or the reinsurance program.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:00 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Vermont was going that route but an 18% new payroll tax (11% employer/7% employee) and a new state tax didn't go over well so they squashed it.
Yeah I don't think payroll taxes are a fair way to fund healthcare. It should be progressive and affect unearned income.

Wages have been stagnant for a while, so using wages as a tax base is asking for trouble.

Last edited by le roi; 12-02-2015 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or