U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 05:23 AM

32,783 posts, read 13,851,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The AR15 is the most popular rifle in the country. I own 2 most gun owners own at least 1. Why would I want to ban my own home defense rifle? Because it scares you??
Because they are one of the most popular weapons used in mass shootings, sorry for the incovenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
I highly doubt they were converted to full auto. Any and all semi auto firearms could be converted to full auto cheap, does that mean they should all be banned?
Well there is your doubt and then there is the FBI and ATF going on record.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Actually, no I haven't. I work in the boondocks and don't have the luxury of a television or a newspaper. So will you answer my question?
Well I think you have access to the internet and google don't you?

Rifles Used in San Bernardino Shooting Illegal Under State Law - WSJ

Old 12-07-2015, 05:35 AM

Default US Cannot Access Phone Records of San Bernadino Shooters

Access by NSA shutdown 4 days before shooting.

Quote:
The US government's ability to review and analyze five years' worth of telephone records for the married couple blamed for the San Bernardino massacre lapsed just four days before the shooting.

The National Security Agency's controversial mass surveillance program was formally shut down last week, days before Tashfeen Malik and her husband Syed Farook killed 14 people.Under a court order, those historical calling records at the NSA are now off-limits to agents running the FBI terrorism investigation - even with a warrant.
Read more: US cannot access full NSA phone records of Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Old 12-07-2015, 06:01 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,818,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Because they are one of the most popular weapons used in mass shootings, sorry for the incovenience.

So we ban firearms in common use because they scare you?

Old 12-07-2015, 06:09 AM

25,631 posts, read 30,350,635 times
Quote:
Wrong.

Semi Auto handguns by a 3 or 4 to 1 margin are the favored weapon of choice in mass shootings.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:33 AM

6,181 posts, read 4,147,003 times
Quote:
Title is wrong, the FBI can apply for a warrant to access the phone records from the phone company, you know like the good old days. It cannot get access if they still exist, (and they will unofficially, and probably will for a very long time) from the NSA.

Secondly, the entire claim in support of the bulk records collection was to prevent events like this happening. Clearly it's ability to prevent this event happening was sub-optimal, which implies that elimination will not have any significant impact. So cries for a return should be viewed through the lens of it's claimed use, prevention, and not that this event happened, the information needed is still available to sift through after the event.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:37 AM

66,329 posts, read 33,652,276 times
Quote:

A good old fashion court order, using due process, will get you into the phone records. Like it always had.

NSA, was to find this before it happened, not to be used afterward. Remember they are not looking at records, they are looking at algorithms. It still takes a court order to look into individual records... Or did they lie to us again and Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are right.... again!

Old 12-07-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Title is wrong, the FBI can apply for a warrant to access the phone records from the phone company, you know like the good old days. It cannot get access if they still exist, (and they will unofficially, and probably will for a very long time) from the NSA.

Secondly, the entire claim in support of the bulk records collection was to prevent events like this happening. Clearly it's ability to prevent this event happening was sub-optimal, which implies that elimination will not have any significant impact. So cries for a return should be viewed through the lens of it's claimed use, prevention, and not that this event happened, the information needed is still available to sift through after the event.
The article indicates that those records are off limits to the FBI task force even with a warrant, I hope would they are not off limits to the investigation team.

Agreed on the bulk records collection.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:44 AM

6,181 posts, read 4,147,003 times
Quote:
The article indicates that those records are off limits to the FBI task force even with a warrant, I hope would they are not off limits to the investigation team.
That's a bunch of horse-puckey. You go get a warrant, serve the warrant and the phone company needs to produce the records. CALEA requires this and it's also in previous telecoms laws and stretching back to the 1968 OCCSSA (and probably earlier)

Old 12-07-2015, 06:49 AM

66,329 posts, read 33,652,276 times
Quote:

Agreed on the bulk records collection.

Don't be an idiot! The feds have come in guns in the face of the owners of the business to seize records, for much less. Remember Gibson Guitars? Over some wood, that was perfectly legal to have.

A court order... There must not be a case, for a judge not to issue an order to release the records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or