Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 04:36 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Well according to the NRA and the pro-gun rhetoric, blunt objects can kill as many as assault riffles.
I doubt seriously if you have EVER read ANYTHING the NRA has said.

Don't forget a few box cutters killed hundreds on 9-11

Old 12-08-2015, 04:39 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I couldn't get that link to work, but here one set of criteria:

One or more of the following features

Pistol grip: A grip that "protrudes conspicuously" below the weapon, allowing the shooter to hold the rifle or shotgun like a pistol. Some people feel the pistol grip puts their wrist in a more comfortable position.

Forward grip: A second grip for the non-trigger hand.

Folding, telescopic, or detachable stock: The stock is the part of the gun that's held against the shoulder. A folding, telescopic, or detachable stock makes the weapon shorter so it can be stored or concealed more easily, and may allow the stock to be adjusted for different users.

Grenade launcher or rocket launcher: Attachments that allow grenades or rockets to be fired from the muzzle or a separate barrel. These can be used to fire flares, smoke rounds, or chalk rounds. Grenades that contain explosive material are expensive and heavily regulated, and must be registered with the federal government.

Barrel shroud: A ventilated covering that partially or completely encircles the barrel of a gun. This lets the shooter hold the barrel without being burned.

Threaded barrel: Threading at the tip of the barrel that allows attachments like silencers and flash suppressors to be mounted on the gun.

Flash suppressors, which reduce the chances that the shooter will be blinded by the flash in low light.

Bullet buttons: A recessed button that lets the user detach the magazine using the tip of a bullet or another small object. Since the magazine can't be released without a tool, it's considered fixed, not detachable.

Thumbhole stocks: A hole that lets the shooter put the thumb of their trigger hand through the stock. Since the grip doesn't "protrude conspicuously" below the weapon, in some states thumbhole stocks aren't considered pistol grips.
All of that died when Clinton's so-called assault weapon ban expired.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:54 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
YOUR answer is "nothing'!

Sorry, your "definition" comes from a liberal anti-gun site.

THEY do NOT have the authority to say what an assault weapon is and is NOT.

If you want to discuss this with ANY credibility, do some research and QUIT following the liberal anti-gun rhetoric.

NO and I REPEAT NO SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPON IS AN "ASSAULT" WEAPON.

Read it slowly. It has been said probably hundreds of time on this board.

It is about time people like you actually LEARN something.
Seems that an AR-15, which can fire 45 to 60 shots per minute, is fully capable of assaulting a room full of victims. What is your definition of "assault?"

Old 12-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
"But I don't think there is any reason for the general public to have high capacity magazines."

That is because you don't "think" the situations thoroughly.

Imagine a couple of "crooks" breaks into your house.

EACH have guns with say, 10 round mags. That is 20 rounds against you.

Do you want to be restricted to ONLY 7 rounds with your one gun?

" Maybe an answer would be to make possession of a high capacity magazine illegal"

Pick a bad gun situation and please tell us how many of these situations were perpetrated WITHOUT the "bad" guy breaking MULTIPLE existing laws.

What makes you think the "bad" guys WON'T break any new laws?

You need to get into the REAL world and NOT Utopia!
Yep. This happens all the time. Home owner Rambo takes out multiple crooks who broke into his home with 10 round mags each.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
So, I guess NOW we have "assault " cars!
Correct. In fact, the military will be trading in their firearms for assault cars instead.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:28 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
"Oh god spare me the arguments on semantics,"

Are you THAT obtuse?

The "semantics" is EXACTLY what this entire thread has been about.

People calling the AR a semi-automatic being called an assault weapon when assault weapons are FULLY auto-matic.

"call it a clip or magazine, who cares."

WE CARE, because so many want to ban certain things and SHOULD us the proper nomenclature.

If you DON'T care, why are you on here?
Whose definition? Automatic does not do it. Some definition include semi-automatics and the classical army definition requires selective fire. They also require an intermediate sized cartridge and a detachable magazine. So anything that can handle full rifle cartridges cannot be an assault rifle to some definitions.

I suggest that the whole thing is a silly semantic defense thrown up by the gunnies to avoid dealing with the issue. The antis need to coin a term for a weapon with high rate of delivery capability. Kid whacker would be good and is nicely pejorative.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
YOUR answer is "nothing'!

Sorry, your "definition" comes from a liberal anti-gun site.

THEY do NOT have the authority to say what an assault weapon is and is NOT.

If you want to discuss this with ANY credibility, do some research and QUIT following the liberal anti-gun rhetoric.

NO and I REPEAT NO SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPON IS AN "ASSAULT" WEAPON.

Read it slowly. It has been said probably hundreds of time on this board.

It is about time people like you actually LEARN something.
Well when it comes to definitions I think Merriam Webster outranks you and the other gunnies. They say semi or auto. Now if you work for the DoD you can probably claim in your domain it is auto only though actually the term of art there is "selective" not auto. But in the wide world Merriam Webster reigns.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:05 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,863,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Maybe a giveaway.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:12 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well when it comes to definitions I think Merriam Webster outranks you and the other gunnies. They say semi or auto. Now if you work for the DoD you can probably claim in your domain it is auto only though actually the term of art there is "selective" not auto. But in the wide world Merriam Webster reigns.
Merriam Webster also uses the term "designed for military use". The AR15 is not, and never was, designed for military use. It has always been meant for civilian use.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:13 PM

19,820 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Maybe a giveaway.
I'm sure every individual who funded that loan is being investigated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.