U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 11:47 AM

12,973 posts, read 12,735,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
As I said, your "solution" is to cut the number of legally owned guns while doing nothing to cut the number of illegally owned ones. Making it easier for the criminals to attack innocent people with impunity. So the violent death rate will go up, not down.
This is of course a hypothetical with no actually probability of happening in the present climate or anything likely in the next decades.

However the initial source of illegal guns is legal ones. As the inventory gets small there will be less and less illegal guns and they will likely become prohibitively expensive for the small time crook. You can never wipe them our but you can make them rare and expensive.

Japan's gun ownershipd rate is below a 1/2 percent of ours.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:50 AM

34,934 posts, read 31,961,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You folk protest too much. I did not suggest that the suicides would be eliminated. Just cut in half. And some outcome like that would be likely. I also don't mind making the killings done by bad guys less effective.
And you fantasize too much. 330 million guns. How you gonna "round em up" As Dumbstein put it.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
And you fantasize too much. 330 million guns. How you gonna "round em up" As Dumbstein put it.
Carrot and stick and a long time period, For it to work you would need a general acceptance by most of the population. That certainly is not present at this time.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:21 PM

34,934 posts, read 31,961,540 times
Quote:
Carrot and stick and a long time period, For it to work you would need a general acceptance by most of the population. That certainly is not present at this time.
I think it's going way into the other direction. Last month was some kind of record for gun sales and new gun owners. As for the year: This Year's Gun Sales Could Set Record for U.S.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think it's going way into the other direction. Last month was some kind of record for gun sales and new gun owners. As for the year: This Year's Gun Sales Could Set Record for U.S.
Not really. The number of guns has increased but the percentange of homes with a gun has decreased from about 50% in the 60s to the low 40% today. The percentage that believe a gun makes things safer has gone from 40% to 60% over a similar period.

I would think it clear that the USA is not about to support an radical change in the second.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 PM

7,466 posts, read 4,226,863 times
Quote:
You folk protest too much. I did not suggest that the suicides would be eliminated. Just cut in half. And some outcome like that would be likely. I also don't mind making the killings done by bad guys less effective.
Well then, you're only half as wrong.

Besides, as someone pointed out, a
single shot .22 derringer will do the trick.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:00 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,343,654 times
Quote:
Not really. The number of guns has increased but the percentange of homes with a gun has decreased from about 50% in the 60s to the low 40% today. The percentage that believe a gun makes things safer has gone from 40% to 60% over a similar period.

I would think it clear that the USA is not about to support an radical change in the second.
Does that include all the illegal guns?

Old 12-10-2015, 01:03 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,018,906 times
Quote:

The percentage of ownership in non-rural homes is increasing. The percentage of farm and rural homes is decreasing.

The other factor is two of the largest states, California and New York have made it difficult for many to purchase guns.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:49 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,223,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Very easy to buy AR-15s legally for a neighbor who is an ISIS sympathizer.

It is very hard to acquire an AR in a lot of states, I wouldn't waste my time with straw man purchases.
You can't get one in MD thanks to former governor Martin O'Smelly. Anyone wanting him for POTUS is in for a progressive liberal ride to hell.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:56 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,686,723 times
Quote:
There are literally over a hundred million illegal guns in the US. That's enough to last for a century. Especially if the black market price goes up and there's demand. Just note how "successful" we are keeping drugs and illegals out of this country. So your "carrot and stick" would only impact the law abiding people and drive the violent crime rate up. When the Detroit police chief is telling his voters to arm themselves against the criminals, you should know you're proposing the wrong solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or