Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:56 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,904,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It would instill accountability. If you fail to secure your gun, and it's used in a crime, you should be held liable to at least some degree. If you fail to secure your gun and a toddler gets a hold of it, and someone is injured or killed as a result, you should be held liable.
Seriously? Think about what you're saying and tell us exactly how this is going to prevent gun violence in any way, shape or form?

I was going to go on a shooting rampage down at the local YMCA but I changed my mind after thinking about the effect it would have on my insurance premiums.

You do realize that liability insurance is MANDATORY in all 50 States right? You also realize that 1 in 8 drivers in the country operate their vehicles with NO INSURANCE right? So, how are we holding these folks liable that have no insurance on their cars and cause damage/injury to other drivers? Guess what? We don't! Most of these idiots walk away with NOTHING done to them while the person they hit is left paying for the damages to themselves or their vehicles on their own. Most of us carry Underinsured and Uninsured Driver coverage. Why is that if carrying liability insurance is MANDATORY by law if you operate a motor vehicle on the roadways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 AM

756 posts, read 422,430 times
Quote:
It seems like a bit of a double standard, doesn't it? We often see posts on this forum from people "concerned" about the high levels of gun violence and murder in Chicago. These people wonder why President Obama or Rahm Emmanuel don't do more to address this issue. However, when it comes to mass shootings nationwide, these people do not want any action taken. Why is this?

Maybe because this year there have been 310 victims of mass shootings nationwide and 2,771 shootings in Chicago alone?

Shootings -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com
Gun Violence Archive

Old 12-03-2015, 08:29 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,642,560 times
Quote:
It seems like a bit of a double standard, doesn't it? We often see posts on this forum from people "concerned" about the high levels of gun violence and murder in Chicago. These people wonder why President Obama or Rahm Emmanuel don't do more to address this issue. However, when it comes to mass shootings nationwide, these people do not want any action taken. Why is this?
Typical, pretend no one is discussing mass shootings, because no one cares about them.

We have 24/7 news coverage and the mods immediately sticky any and all threads about mass shootings. Tell me, do we do that with the multiple murders in our big cities? No we don't. So you have it all backwards, as usual.

Police say 16 injured after shooting at New Orleans park | Fox News

Did we have a sticky for this? Did it make your 24/7 cable news? No, because it does not move the democrat agenda for gun control.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:41 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,435,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
Maybe because this year there have been 310 victims of mass shootings nationwide and 2,771 shootings in Chicago alone?

Shootings -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com
Gun Violence Archive
/thread.

OP, there's your answer. Even better, who commits over 90% of those murders in Chicago?

Fat racist white homophobes who vote for Trump...Or door number two?

Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,892,118 times
Quote:
We could at least try with true universal background checks and closing the gun show loophole. We should also require insurance on all firearms, like most states do with cars.

Let's not pretend you would get behind any of that, though.
By putting those as two separate issues, it shows that you don't know what you are talking about. The "gun show loophole" is just made up phrase to cover all face to face gun sales that do not require a NICS background check which is what you mean by "universal background checks".

So let's put this into place on Jan 1. No more face to face sales. All gun sales must happen through an FFL with a NICS background check. On Jan 2, I sell a gun to my friend Fred. On Jan 3, Fred is stopped by the police and they find the gun in his car. How do they know when he bought it? Are they going to run the serial number? It was made in 1987 and has been owned by 4 different people before Fred. Are they going to track down everyone?

In 2020, I am stopped by police carrying a gun in my car. I bought it from Fred on Jan 4, 2016 by going through that FFL on the corner. Or maybe is was the one on the other side of town. Or wait, we were on a hunting trip in the southern part of the state and we used an FFL down there. I'm really not sure where we performed the legal transfer. How do I keep myself out of jail?

You can't have universal background checks without registration and the majority of gun owners will not register.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:00 AM

26,892 posts, read 15,107,512 times
Quote:

Chicago adds up to be worse than the mass shootings combined.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:00 AM

23,375 posts, read 17,050,165 times
Quote:
Chicago , newark, killings qualify as mass murder in some cases and collectively definitely couldbe labeled mass shooting as accumulated in any timeframe.

the predictability of where the next murder will take place is like getting a 'vowel' but legisaltors choose to pursue the utopian goal of no firearms in private hands at some time in the distant future. their theoretical goal justifies the daily killing in inner cities where innocent lives are sacrificed for an ideological agenda.

Proof is the passage of gun laws and the attempt to make theoretical cause and effect match reality. Newark,Nj is aperfect example of very tough gun laws and a rising murder rate. Obama stands up and proclaims the states with the strictest gun laws have the least rime and violence. An absolute lie. the only circumstance where that is true is on paper in an academic setting as proposed theory.

nothing will reduce these murders if the head of the country lies, defies evidence to the contrary and blindly clings to his ideological agenda.

Then again what mayor is going to admit a problem in his town. Throw in the social justice activists and lawyers and the media turned janitor for the obama administration and you have Chicago, newark et al.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 AM

808 posts, read 1,675,660 times
These are just mentally disturbed lone wolfs. Who happen to be right wingedand often espouse white nationalist ideology that sounds very similar to what you might hear from a talking head on fox or a blowhard on conservative talk radio.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 AM

88,669 posts, read 44,417,536 times
Quote:
Chicago tried strict gun control laws. They didn't work.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:30 AM

88,669 posts, read 44,417,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No state requires insurance, license or registration on cars that are only used on private property. There is no age limit for buying a car, only to use it on public streets. You can buy a car online and have it delivered to your home. Do you really want to treat firearms like cars? Or are you just proving once again that you have no idea what you're talking about on this subject?
Wish I could rep you again!

Learned how to drive a stick shift pickup and a dirt bike around a friend's family's farm to help get chores done when I was 10. My husband has been riding motocross for decades from a very early age (too old for competition now, though... LOL!). All perfectly legal. No one batted an eye at any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies