Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:03 PM

589 posts, read 299,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
I seem to remember things that were said almost 8 years ago like "we will begin to heal" and "we will begin to come together as a country" once we got the right (or LEFT??) person in office.

WOW I thought, someone who is willing to work w/ both sides and GET STUFF DONE!! How cool is that??

How has it worked out so far? Seems to be MUCH worse now and everyone is fighting with each other.
The problem here is the interpretation of the word "we". Since it was addressed to the US voters, it's assumed it is referring to the US citizens and the US as a country. It was also assumed that the person saying it had an allegiance to THIS country. However, it was REALLY addressing the agendas of the person saying it and the loyalty to his faith, not for the benefit of US citizens or US as a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 01:14 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,440,670 times
I'm sure one of the screechers at Harvard Law School or Dartmouth would love to hold my hand and sing a song.

Everythings great.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:15 PM

268 posts, read 344,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
This is why people under 30, non-property owners, and non-taxpayers should never be allowed to vote. The first group is simply too stupid (by and large) and the second two have no skin in the game; most of them are takers.

You got that right!

When the battery runs out on the smart phone the convultions set in! How will we ever live??

Old 12-03-2015, 01:17 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,064,451 times
Quote:
I seem to remember things that were said almost 8 years ago like "we will begin to heal" and "we will begin to come together as a country" once we got the right (or LEFT??) person in office.

WOW I thought, someone who is willing to work w/ both sides and GET STUFF DONE!! How cool is that??

How has it worked out so far? Seems to be MUCH worse now and everyone is fighting with each other.
What are the foundations that bind a society together? That give a people codes of conduct? That provide a society with structure? What do we believe in anymore?

Our leaders lie to us and apologize for us. Families are fragile or failing. Schools are failing. Church is marginalized. Law enforcement is marginalized. Military is marginalized. Drug use is encouraged. First Amendment and Second Amendments rights are under siege. Borders are porous. Diviseness is encouraged.

So...........we have no leaders, no families, no schooling, no spirituality, no respect for those who protect the streets or protect our nation, no respect for our elders, no respect for teachers, etc etc. We've been hearing for years now what a horrible nation of people we are, how hateful we are, how racist we are, how sexist we are, how underachieving we are.

I'm sick with the flu so speaking in sweeping generalizations. But I come back to my original question - what do we believe in anymore? If we have nothing to ground us and nothing to be proud of, how can we come together? We're imploding. The signs of it are everywhere.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,321,653 times
7 years of Obama have left us divided by race, gender and sexual orientation. The economy hasn't gotten much better, our healthcare system is falling apart and our military is weaker.

It's almost like it's on purpose.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,276,677 times
Quote:

As an avid reader of news and looking deeply into politicians before I vote I knew Obama was a troubled individual with extreme leftist and racist views IMO that would not do anything good for this country.

I did not vote for him, but did feel it was a good thing because it took a vast majority of whites to get him elected showing the lack of real racism in America and the first Black President could be a good thing if he was trying to as you say "bring people together"

Sadly this was never the case, he has shown more venom for Republicans, conservatives than he has Isis. His IRS was spying on conservatives and screwing with their political statuses all through elections. There should have been jail time, but like Iran reporting on Iran we find Democrats never do what is moral or legally right when it is a member of their party at stake. They give passes to their own only.
He spied on enemies and the press.

Sadly the President is a divider of class, race, religion and most things. I think he is the reason we have more mass killings, the withdrawal of Iraq killed tens of thousands of Christians there.
One year to go and this hot mess of a President will be gone. Thank God!

He fights to grow Democrat votes out of prison felons and illegals. Leaves borders open for terrorists.

He all but created the Tea Party with his behavior and all but locked Donald Trump as the next President of the United States IMO.

Will be for most here the worst President of their lifetimes.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:31 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,454,965 times
In the wake of these recent terrorist attacks I'm starting to have more respect for George W Bush immediately after 9/11. Yes, the Iraq War became a mess, but in shortly after 9/11 Bush conveyed strength and discouraged scapegoating all Muslims. As a result people came together and there was way less extreme xenophobia than now.

By contrasts half of America views Obama as incompetent, even secretly supportive of terrorism. At best he doesn't make people feel like he has control of the situation. And on the other side the leader of the polls for Republican nominee is basically a Fascist. The result is our society is teetering on the brink of widespread civil unrest. I don't think it's unrealistic that we could become the next Northern Ireland.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:02 PM

30,320 posts, read 19,107,564 times
Obama has made no effort to unite the country...he needs a divided country. Bush tried to unite the country and did for awhile after 911 but he made a terrible decision to attack Iraq and everything fell apart after that.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:24 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,158,894 times
No doubt the country is being divided by right-wing rhetoric. Just listen to the hateful, bigoted demagoguery that Donald Trump spews out. He demeans, belittles and falsely blames the nation's problems on blacks, hispanics, women, gays, muslims, and the disabled. GOP has become the Old White Bigot party.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:34 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,164,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
7 years of Obama have left us divided by race, gender and sexual orientation. The economy hasn't gotten much better, our healthcare system is falling apart and our military is weaker.

It's almost like it's on purpose.
This country has LONG been divided in that manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies