Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Wow. I can't believe it. There are actually some conservative types on the city-data forum? Here I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Here's one that ruffles my feathers: "Celebrate Diversity"

Ok...what the heck does that mean? In context it seems to mean:
1) if something is different, it cannot be criticized, or
2) it's different, so it must be embraced, even if it appears to be repulsive at first glance, or
3) there isn't any truth to be known, so stop even trying; everyone is right (except for those who don't agree with this premise), or
4) contradictory statements really can be true at the same time; the Law of Non-Contradiction is no longer valid, or
5) no one can be wrong, except those who believe that someone can be wrong, or
6) no one can be wrong, because that might hurt their feelings, and feelings are more important than arriving at truth, or
7) 2+2 = 5, if it makes you feel better
Ask people who celebrate diversity to diversify their car's fuel tank by mixing in water, milk, fruit juice, and any other available liquids. By contemporary diversity theory, it should make one's automobile really fast and yield excellent gas mileage, rather than with using plain old petrol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Just a condescending way that the elites talk down to the "masses"....it's insulting, it's done at the level of a 12-year old, and it avoids anything "sticky". These slogans avoid any chance for holding their "speakers" accountable, because they really don't SAY anything....

"CHANGE" ?........Winning the lottery, losing weight, and a job promotion are all forms of "change". So are going to jail, losing your home, and contracting syphilis...ALL are 'changes".......

"DIVERSITY"?....A staff of workers which includes blacks, whites, Hispanics, women, the physically challenged, and lesbians, is "diverse"......So is a staff of workers which includes anarchists, communists, MS-13 gang bangers, thieves, child molesters on parole, exhibitionists, drug users, Ku Klux Klansmen, and al-Qaeda sympathizers....ALL examples of "diversity"

"EQUALITY"?......Everyone being allowed the same opportunity to strive for a goal would be one form of "equality".... Giving everyone the same result, regardless of their efforts, no matter how much or how little they contribute, is ANOTHER form of "equality"...

"REDUCING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION"?.....Illegal immigration could be reduced by punishing employers, and removing the incentive to come here illegally. ....it could ALSO be reduced if we simply opened the border, and gave all illegals amnesty today. That way, we'd have NO illegals at all...BOTH methods would "reduce" the problem of illegals...

So there you go--"Change, Diversity, Equality, Reducing Illegal Immigration".....are we in favor of them, or not?...well......maybe, maybe not...let's ask our politicians, shall we?
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to macmeal again."

Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,276 times
"Faith. Family. Freedom." Directly from Huckabee's website. His ideas about faith in politics, what qualifies as a family, and what qualifies as freedom are simply insulting to me.

Calling the US a nation based on "Christian principles" and a "Christian Nation". All are absolutely insulting because the speakers who use this terminology almost never mean "a country with a Christian majority" but instead are trying to paint the nation as something it was not meant to be in an attempt to marginalize the non-Christians and those who don't subscribe to "Christian principles" as unimportant.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,442 times
You know what insults me? When Mexicans think that work that doesn't involve hard labor is not work at all. (I'm Mexican). They think I'm lazy because I make websites and don't have a "real job" according to them. That really grinds my gears.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
=macmeal;2733189]Now, as you say, there's a HUGE "heart" Industry---"I (heart) everything from dogs

Reminds me, many years ago some enterprising person ran ads in humor magazines where they sold stickers with a "screw" on them that fit right over the bumper sticker "hearts". Not to good when your bumper advertises to the world how much you like your poodle.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:36 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,385 times
"Hang Up and Drive."

How about minding your own freaking business?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
"Hang Up and Drive."

How about minding your own freaking business?

My business includes making sure some nitwit doesn't run me over because they think a phone call is more important than someone's life so:

HANG UP AND DRIVE!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:12 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
"Faith. Family. Freedom." Directly from Huckabee's website. His ideas about faith in politics, what qualifies as a family, and what qualifies as freedom are simply insulting to me.

Calling the US a nation based on "Christian principles" and a "Christian Nation". All are absolutely insulting because the speakers who use this terminology almost never mean "a country with a Christian majority" but instead are trying to paint the nation as something it was not meant to be in an attempt to marginalize the non-Christians and those who don't subscribe to "Christian principles" as unimportant.
I couldn't agree with this more. Pretty much everything that comes out of Huckabee's mouth offends me. For me it has grown into some unparalleled disdain. I'm good at despising people I've never met. But seriously, if he won the election and stayed true to his theocratic tendencies, he would be much worse than anyone ever thought the Bush administration has been.

Last edited by buildings_and_bridges; 02-06-2008 at 07:41 AM..

Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
"Death Tax" the claim that a tax on inheritance is somehow a tax on the deceased is absurd and intended to fool people and get them outraged over something that only effects a very small percentage of truly wealthy Americans. The inheritance tax effects the heirs and heiresses who are coming into family fortunes. It skims a little of the cream of the family fortune and puts it to use providing services to the rest of us.
It drives me nutz that a candidate will rail against the "death tax" and all those who will never be taxed on mega inheritances all cheer.

"Less Govenment Regulation" Our food supply is tainted due to lax and unenforced heath and safety standards--ecoli in our spinach and salad, feces smeared on our beef, hoof and mouth disease and sick cows are still being electrocuted and dragged to the killing floor and served up in the school lunch room; Americans can't afford gasoline and heating oil and petroleum companies are having record breaking profits; Christmas toys are laced with lead and date rape drugs........and politicians promise LESS regulation!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,111,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I couldn't agree with this more. Pretty much everything that comes out of Huckabee's mouth offends me. For me it has grown into some unparalleled disdain. I'm good at despising people I've never met. But seriously, if he won the election and stayed true to his theocratic tendencies, he would be much worse than anyone ever though the Bush administration has been.
I feel that huckabee is doing Christians a disservice by using faith to get elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies