Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 08:33 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Only scads of articles out there

I picked pro Obama liberal one

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/19...p1YCQJQQ7BRvo-

Think up armored vehicles aren't needed... How about night vision... Better body armor? Bomb vehicles?

Who do you think handles these event domestically ... The street level copper... Not the military...not some swat team an hour away.. It usually falls to the street cop...

Clueless comes to mind

Right along with the first community organizer...police have to be accountable...dear leader isnt
You said:

Quote:
I only wish patrol officers had better equipment.... Not having it confiscated by Obama and stored in some federal impound for his will.
You present a link that says:

Quote:
The president announced Monday that he was barring the federal government from giving certain types of military-style equipment to local police forces and sharply restricting others....

Maybe you don't know what "confiscate" actually means, but it does not mean restricting a relatively new federal giveaway program that provided heavy military vehicles to even the smallest police forces.

You're right on the edge of fabricating something other than the truth, to put it tactfully.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I think the po-po showed a proper amount of restraint as they never even did the heads on a pike thing

Old 12-04-2015, 09:22 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Every policeman did an outstanding job... Not one innocent person was injured. Two policemen were...and as others have stated all the innocent lives lost and shattered.

This thread demonstrates the ignorance and complete lack of understanding of the use of force..tactics.. Real life

Some people can hide behind a computer and type furiously about all the police injustices in the world while real human beings keep them safe.

We are at war... Get a clue...anyone who kills another and uses force while being apprehended deserves overwhelming force used upon them. There are no Queensbury rules.if the numbers provided are correct the units did an outstanding job of reloading. During the shooting review the range officers will be part of the investigation... The academy staff.. Beyond all the legal stuff. Critical analysis will be done as to training...could they have reloaded faster.. Applied more firepower... Needed better weaponry.. Exercised different tactics... You will know none of this... It will happen.

There will be more events like this....radical jihad has been at this for years... Some are so blind thry cannot see it.

I only wish patrol officers had better equipment.... Not having it confiscated by Obama and stored in some federal impound for his will. Question his tactics....
I think the cops did an outstanding job. My hat is off to them. I agree about the equipment too. We saw a real world use for it the other day in CA.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:27 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
They say 23 cops from 7 agencies fired 380 rounds at the terrorists in San Berdo. Is that overkill? Considering Bonnie and Clyde only warranted 186 rounds.

How dead should we make a terrorist? And where did the rest of the bullets end up?

It seems to me this was a little like the last scene of "The Smiths."

Yes you are right. They were so cruel to these nice folks who had just killed 14 people and wounded others.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
They say 23 cops from 7 agencies fired 380 rounds at the terrorists in San Berdo. Is that overkill? Considering Bonnie and Clyde only warranted 186 rounds.

How dead should we make a terrorist? And where did the rest of the bullets end up?

If it did the job, who cares. Results are the only thing that matters.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
I think they should have used more ammo, maybe even a rocket or two. These two scumbags needed to be wiped off the face of the earth so that there is no trace of them. If they are to be buried, I want enough holes in them so that they are completely unrecognizable.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM

807 posts, read 898,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Excessive force? No. Inadequate training for these scenarios? Potentially.

The Boston Bombing manhunt illustrated the lack of I guess you could call it anti insurgency training among beat cops. There were too many cops operating independently and they were interfering with the tactical teams that were deployed. From outside it certainly appears the same happened here. I am not sure what the solution is but when you have so many beat cops deployed you cant get the armored car through all the cars you have a problem.

Perhaps beat cops should have a process of becoming a 4 person squad using one vehicle when a scenario like this occurs, this might reduce hogging the air and might make for more cohesive responses. This would reduce vehicles deployed and might ensure they operate more effectively.

Boston certainly illustrated how important it is squad cars be equipped with semi auto rifles tho. BPD did not and does not have rifles available to beat cops (mostly). This does not help efficacy of such a dangerous manhunt.

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery.
The thread certainly started with a rather loaded title and a lot of easily provoked people. I thought your post was a great model of how to turn this thread into a productive one. It offered some observations about weakness in the current situation and speculates on possible avenues of improvement.

---
My general sentiment on this topic:

- Terrorists dead = good job.
- Terrorists dead with no further loss of life = great job.
- Terrorists captured alive = Police doing their jobs above and beyond and with style to boot. Obviously would take universally perfect tactics and beyond outstanding discipline to pull off.

Getting even one of them alive means being able to grill them endlessly for months and years about how they went about doing what they did. Any scrap of intelligence could lead to hundreds of lives saved in the years down the road as law enforcement adds to their insurgency knowledge base through this type of research. So it's obvious that if they had managed to capture one alive, which naturally requires that they use fewer bullets than was used, they could have managed an even better outcome.

Did the police do alright by ending the threat right away? Yep, this tactic at minimum guarantees the prevention of further casualties.
Could they have done better? Who knows for sure but it takes some very low personal standards to immediately deny this possibility without further thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I'm getting really tired when reporters confuse black tactical vests (simply load bearing vests to hold stuff) with "body armor" because it's black and scary looking.
Then it gets repeated here...

These are made of nothing more bullet resistant then polyester or nylon people!
If it is true that the shooters were unarmored and that their tactical vests were being confused for body armor then the unfortunate irony would be that there are people with usually gun-knowledgeable viewpoints who are using this mistake to help justify their assertion that the hail of bullets launched by the police was the absolute best action possible.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:

Who cares?

Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times
To answer your question .....

NO

Old 12-04-2015, 10:01 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Ask the 14 dead and 21 others how they feel? Really? Shooting AR15's at cops I guess you got to expect to get shot! A lot!!! I hope the terrorists burn in hell for what they did!!!!!!!!

This. EXACTLY this^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies