U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 08:06 AM

66,154 posts, read 33,583,941 times

Advertisements

It is not what you do when everyone is looking. It is what you do when there is no one around to see.

Today, very few people in the USA have integrity.

Sure out in front of everyone, they are the perfect person. Then when no ones watching evil takes over.

Where does ones integrity come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 08:16 AM

16,665 posts, read 8,513,515 times
parents, plural

Old 12-04-2015, 08:23 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,542,491 times
The only people who can teach integrity is Mom & Dad. Sometimes friends can, but a strong family unit is the most effective. With the disintegration of the family, the society weakens.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:28 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,043,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
parents, plural

Yep.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:29 AM

6,554 posts, read 3,267,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
The only people who can teach integrity is Mom & Dad. Sometimes friends can, but a strong family unit is the most effective. With the disintegration of the family, the society weakens.
I used to work retail, a while back. I had a lady, around Halloween, who was buying a costume for her kids, whom she was with, with her groceries. The costume rang up at $10 more that she thought it was. Since it was a $10 difference, I could not change it without supervisor permission, so I called him over. He went back to double check the price, with the woman, and noticed that it was indeed the price it rang up as; someone, probably a customer who just sat it some where, put it in the wrong spot. She threw a fit. She returned to the register and shouted at me that she didn't want any of her things, and just walked off.

She did this in front of her three children, and her husband, who proceeded to go customer service and claim that both the supervisor and I were rude to this woman. All three of those kids, who have two parents, are going to grow up to be just like her.

Having two parents is not a magical solution. One decent human being of a parent will always be more effective that two awful people will.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 AM

13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times
No, I think integrity can be learned at any stage in life. I came from a disintegrated family and never had a father.

I learned the concept of integrity a little later in life than most people. I was around 25.

Integrity, my mentor said, is when what you think, and what you say, and what you do are all synchronized; all the same. Then you have integrity.

Here's my personal mantra:
I once wanted to play Major League baseball. I never made it.
But I can do this:
Every moment of my life I can act as if I had made it. And I can act act if there is a kid watching everything I do, and hearing everything I say.
And he's wearing my jersey number.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,542,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I used to work retail, a while back. I had a lady, around Halloween, who was buying a costume for her kids, whom she was with, with her groceries. The costume rang up at $10 more that she thought it was. Since it was a $10 difference, I could not change it without supervisor permission, so I called him over. He went back to double check the price, with the woman, and noticed that it was indeed the price it rang up as; someone, probably a customer who just sat it some where, put it in the wrong spot. She threw a fit. She returned to the register and shouted at me that she didn't want any of her things, and just walked off.

She did this in front of her three children, and her husband, who proceeded to go customer service and claim that both the supervisor and I were rude to this woman. All three of those kids, who have two parents, are going to grow up to be just like her.

Having two parents is not a magical solution. One decent human being of a parent will always be more effective that two awful people will.
No doubt. I think a 2 parent household is preferable, but I understand there are times when there's only 1 parent. But just as parents can teach their kids integrity, they can also teach them the opposite of integrity. If one parent is preventing raising your kids with integrity, then it probably makes sense to separate your kids from them.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:42 AM

33,832 posts, read 41,892,438 times
One of the reasons school systems nationwide have had to integrate Character Development into their curricula.

7 Tips for Building Character in Schools and Students

PBIS Maryland Home

Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 AM

369 posts, read 154,516 times
Integrity just means your actions are aligned with your beliefs and values. It doesn't mean your beliefs and values are particularly worthy, or even defensible.

Plenty of jihadis are extremely "integrated."

Old 12-04-2015, 11:42 AM

7,677 posts, read 8,457,813 times
I don't necessarily think it has to be parents per se ... but I do think that a closely connected extended family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc) is absolutely necessary. It saddens me when I hear about kids who only see their grandparents like once or twice a year, or who see their cousins once a decade.

I often wonder where I would be if it wasent for the influence on my upbringing from not just my parents but also from my grandparents, aunts and uncles, and such. Probably not a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or