U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 05:39 PM

32,200 posts, read 26,007,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Second Amendment: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I say everyone wanting to own firearms should be required to join a militia, be properly vetted, and completely trained. Make sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
What an excellent suggestion. And the strict constitutionalists couldn't possibly argue with it, as it obviously follows both the literal meaning as well as the intent of the amendment.
you guys DO NOT understand the second amendment. the phrase well regulated at the time was common parlance for "in good working order". as for the militia at the time, if you were a healthy male between the ages of 21-35, you were already part of the militia.

and of course the last half is self explanatory, yet few seem to understand the "shall not be infringed" part, which means keep your regulations off our guns.

in the end, the founders should have stopped writing the amendments at "congress shall make no law".

Old 12-04-2015, 06:45 PM

5,382 posts, read 2,178,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You are wrong gain!

Ronald Reagan’s shameful legacy: Violence, the homeless, mental illness - Salon.com

With President Reagan and the Republicans taking over, the Mental Health Systems Act was discarded before the ink had dried and the CMHC funds were simply block granted to the states. The CMHC program had not only died but been buried as well. An autopsy could have listed the cause of death as naiveté complicated by grandiosity.

President Reagan never understood mental illness. Like Richard Nixon, he was a product of the Southern California culture that associated psychiatry with Communism. Two months after taking office, Reagan was shot by John Hinckley, a young man with untreated schizophrenia.

Wrong Again.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 3,982,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you guys DO NOT understand the second amendment. the phrase well regulated at the time was common parlance for "in good working order". as for the militia at the time, if you were a healthy male between the ages of 21-35, you were already part of the militia.

and of course the last half is self explanatory, yet few seem to understand the "shall not be infringed" part, which means keep your regulations off our guns.

in the end, the founders should have stopped writing the amendments at "congress shall make no law".
I guess you didn't read my second post stating that it was only a suggestion. One that I think makes sense
I think the amendment was intentionally vague to appease both the federalists and the anti-federalists who were charged with it's debate and ratification. The original version actually included conscientious objector language. I think at best it was a messy compromise.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:04 PM

77,412 posts, read 32,993,757 times
Anyone that would have suggested in the 18th century that the government could take guns from the citizens would have summarily been shot.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I guess you didn't read my second post stating that it was only a suggestion. One that I think makes sense
I think the amendment was intentionally vague to appease both the federalists and the anti-federalists who were charged with it's debate and ratification. The original version actually included conscientious objector language. I think at best it was a messy compromise.
vague? try again my friend, read this;

Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"

Quote:
The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.
the founding fathers didnt want the government regulating firearms.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
vague? try again my friend, read this;

Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"

the founding fathers didnt want the government regulating firearms.
I'm supposing you're referring to the Federal government.
Shall I post countless links in disagreement? Countered by countless links on your side of the fence? I think it was intentionally vague and has been interpreted in varying ways by the Supreme Court. As a matter of fact, I also think some of their decisions were rather vague also. Tell me what you get from US vs. Cruikshank, or Miller, or Presser or really any of these cases before Heller. I don't think guns should be illegal. I just think they should be regulated both at the state and federal level. Although anecdotal, it stands to reason that the most heavily armed nation on earth is no safer for it. Status Quo is no longer an option. Our gun culture isn't "well regulated" either in the language of the 18th century or modern lingo.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I'm supposing you're referring to the Federal government.
Shall I post countless links in disagreement? Countered by countless links on your side of the fence? I think it was intentionally vague and has been interpreted in varying ways by the Supreme Court. As a matter of fact, I also think some of their decisions were rather vague also. Tell me what you get from US vs. Cruikshank, or Miller, or Presser or really any of these cases before Heller. I don't think guns should be illegal. I just think they should be regulated both at the state and federal level. Although anecdotal, it stands to reason that the most heavily armed nation on earth is no safer for it.
the second amendment applies to both the states AND the federal government.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:58 PM

20,558 posts, read 8,714,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
There is no 'constitutional' right for women to have abortions. There is no amendment or Bill of Right that ensnares such a right. Roe v Wade is a judicial decision, and can be undone with the right balance of conservative judges on the supreme court.

On the other hand, protection of gun ownership is a 2nd amendment.
When the constitution was written women had no rights....period. The country was run by men, the constitution was written by men. Women had no say. They just did what men told them to do because they were made to feel inferior.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
the second amendment applies to both the states AND the federal government.
Did you read any of the opinions? I don't think you're getting the point. Cave ab homine unius libri.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
When the constitution was written women had no rights....period. The country was run by men, the constitution was written by men. Women had no say. They just did what men told them to do because they were made to feel inferior.
Women, Native Americans, African Americans, the poor of every persuasion were excluded in one way or another... Suffrage didn't happen until 19th amendment 1920!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies