U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:12 AM

6,342 posts, read 4,357,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I'm pro-gun. I have several of them and have concealed carry permits in three states. To get my CCW permits, I had to undergo extensive background checks as well as attend compulsory training classes.

However, I absolutely detest the NRA's knee-jerk policy of lobbying against any and all form of gun control. It's idiotic to say that mental patients and people on government no-fly lists should still have access to weapons. The excuse that such laws violate the rights of these people doesn't wash. If the gov doesn't want them to fly, I sure as hell don't want them around me toting guns. If they're on this lists erroneously, that's their problem to get fixed.

How the hell can you say you need guns to protect yourself when you support EVERYONEs right to guns regardless if they're mental cases, felons, immigrants on federal watch lists.

I'm armed and squeaky clean. If you're not squeaky clean as well, you get no sympathy from me if you can't get a gun.

Wake-up fellow gun owners. You're being duped by the NRA who is compromising YOUR safety.
You can get put on the no fly list by your neighbors reporting suspicious behavior. The list is a mess. Would you want your permits pulled because of lack of due process?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5617599

Last edited by Crossfire600; 12-06-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 AM

29,588 posts, read 16,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
That was a facetious remark aimed at a very general statement about weapons. Only frightened and paranoid people lose their sense of humor...
Don't blame you for back peddling. Since you were joking, so was I

Old 12-06-2015, 09:45 AM

9,420 posts, read 17,405,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And calling anybody you DON'T agree with insulting names will NEVER get you ANY credibility.

If you CANNOT discuss an issue WITHOUT the juvenile name calling, maybe you should stay on the social forums where all the other rude immature people go.
What insulting name did I call you? Seriously?

Or show me ONE instance of where I called somebody a name that didn't call me a name first. I respond in kind. So go back and read the context if you think I've called somebody a name. If you can find one, I'll apologize for it.

Last edited by kdog; 12-06-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-06-2015, 09:52 AM

2,932 posts, read 3,995,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Don't blame you for back peddling. Since you were joking, so was I
Back peddling? How so?

Old 12-06-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
You can get put on the no fly list by your neighbors reporting suspicious behavior. The list is a mess. Would you want your permits pulled because of lack of due process?

7 Ways That You (Yes, You) Could End Up On A Terrorist Watch List
Thanks for the read. Sounds like there are issues that should be fixed. Just like there are issues with credit ratings, social security numbers being stolen, etc. But as imperfect as they are, we still use those mechanisms. No system is perfect.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
A few things:

1) The end goal is a gun ban.
Says you. I never said anything about banning guns. You can have all the guns you want, as long as you're not a certifiable nut-job or other security thread.
Quote:
That is why so many gun control advocates and politicians always cite gun bans (or near bans) in other countries as success stories and never any policy that has worked in the US. I never hear about the massive drops in homicide in Chicago or any other city with a gun ban. But they always use Australia as an example.

And the idea that gun ban in Australia has been successful is rather dubious:

Australian Institute of Criminology - Homicide statistics

"Oh, look the Australian homicide rate dropped by 32% after the gun ban! Success story!"

Homicide Rate (per 100,000), 1950–2012

Oh, look. The American homicide rate dropped by almost 40% during the exact same period. A period in which both gun ownership increased and laws regarding them expired or repealed or struck down by the courts.

"Uh, like statistics don't tell the whole story..."

2) Until the 1980s the NRA was actually quite accommodating towards some gun control laws. After after years of increasing restrictions on firearms during a period when the homicide rate was increasing every year; it became more and more apparent that guns themselves have little effect on the murder rate.
Again, I don't think guns should or even could be banned. But I think it's reasonable to make it less easy for whackos to get them if possible.
Quote:
3)
a) The No-Fly List is complete horses--t. It is secret, it only takes a recommendation to get put on it, and there is no recourse to get yourself removed. It is a mockery of due process. You might even call it "illiberal".

b) The No-Fly List would have done f--k all in this case. One of the shooters was an American citizen and an employee of the county government (which I am told that government employees are the only people who we can trust with guns) and the other was cleared by the Department of Homeland Security (which that wonderful department is one again showing how useful it is). Neither were apparently on the No-Fly List.
I agree it probably wouldn't have done anything in this case. I'm not wild about the problems with the no-fly list either. However, if you get put on it, you have a hell of a bigger problem in that you can't fly as opposed to not being able to buy a gun. It sucks, but you deal with it. Not being able to buy a gun for a while until it gets straightened out isn't that big of a deal.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I do not abide by any laws government issues on weapons. I would not be free with liberty if I did.
With all due respect, you are by definition, an anarchist. That doesn't help your case.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:29 AM

17,027 posts, read 9,522,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Prove it wrong! or we have another :GIT YER HEAD ON CHUMP MOMENT!

TIME TO BONE UP on the facts AS THEY SAY!

THIS IS A FACT:

According to a 2013 report by Third Way, there are roughly 500,000 gun crimes every year in the United States. In 9 of 10 gun crimes where the gun was successfully traced, the person who bought it was not the person who used it in the crime. The report also said that 1 in 3 crime guns has crossed state lines, with crime guns traced in New York, New Jersey and Maryland often coming from Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. The report concluded that guns are purchased in the legal market and then move into the illegal market, and gun trafficking serves as a pipeline that delivers guns into the hands of criminals.

READ IT ALL HERE! CLOSING THE IRON PIPELINE

Guns & weapons ran right through Libya and into the hands of ISIS too.

Call you Senator.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:32 PM

4,784 posts, read 1,617,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
With all due respect, you are by definition, an anarchist. That doesn't help your case.
I doubt they're an anarchist, but that would be a good thing. I'm not sure why you say it as if it's negative. Do you believe that every human owns themselves and no one else? If so, you're an anarchist. If not, tell me who has the right to own you, or who you own.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:40 PM

4,784 posts, read 1,617,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The rule is that what Conservatives desire, is BAD for the country as a whole. Republicans want to cling to their guns because of a backwards view of the 2nd Amendment, and of course this is absolutely wrong in a post-Bush world, made more dangerous by inept Republican policies here and abroad.

ALL guns should be banned and all should be confiscated. Severe penalties for violators. The NRA must take the wrong side of this argument for self-preservation.
Why are you against guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies