U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?
Merry Christmas 57 52.29%
Happy Holidays 27 24.77%
I like pie 25 22.94%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 04:54 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,278,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Wow! What a war that has been unleashed upon you!

If I were you, I would quit your job. I would also avoid such news sites as CBS, NBC, CNN or those that also published this story about Christmas lights and wifi, such as:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ing-your-wifi/

Do Christmas Lights Affect Your WiFi Connection

Christmas Lights Could Be Slowing Your Wi-Fi Connection - Fortune

Christmas lights can disrupt wifi, warns Talk Talk - Telegraph

Deck the halls and block the wifi . . .

Take a stand!
Do electric Hanukkah menorahs affect one's WiFi connection too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 04:54 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,508,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
When story employees say "Happy Holidays " we answer back with Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas as we already said and it is funny the reaction we got as so far we got huge smiles back and winks.
See thats how it should be done.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:57 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,791,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
When story employees say "Happy Holidays " we answer back with Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas as we already said and it is funny the reaction we got as so far we got huge smiles back and winks.
No Kwanzaa!?! RACIST! JK! Kwanzaa seemed like a really cool holiday for a while and then fizzled out. What about Satanists? They do Black Masses this time of year. Don't they!? It's all so silly, but so human. I'm not Jewish, but if I was walking down the street, and someone said Happy Hannukaah to me my oxytocin levels would jump through the hoops, same with if they said Merry Christmas or YourMuvvaSuxCoxInHellZ(santanism lol) I guess you get my point. I wish there was an entire month where people would just shut up about greivances and just live life and support each other. Pick a month! Although I bet they are all already used up for other awarenesses. I was SO pissed to find out that gay month was in March. Wait, that's the wrong month? Ugh, I have to go look up which month i'm accepting in falls in this year.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:24 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,836,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
You're right on the private companies, its their call and should have the right to do whatever they want this time of year. What I am more referring to are these folks that are honestly just making a big fuss out of nothing like a simple greeting, or making a big fuss out of a place that says Merry Christmas or what not at a private sector business or office.
I haven't paid too much attention to the ACLU since it supported the right of Nazis to march in a Jewish neighborhood in IL. That was way back in 1977 and now we live in a time when small stories become blown out of proportion because of the internet and cable TV. I remember when birthers started the rumors that Obama was Muslim and if he were elected would stop Christmas. There's been a White House Christmas tree every year, even a giant Chanukkah menorah.
Quote:
For the most part, I agree with you on religion and politics, but at some point, the elected official's personal life, veiws and beliefs no matter who it is or what they believe, will have some bearing on how they operate within that capacity. The only time it becomes a problem is when it hinders or is in direct opposition from them doing the job they have to do like the case in Kentucky with Kim Davis (though she wasnt an elected official).
True, and that's what frightens me about some candidates who are currently running for POTUS, but that's a whole different subject. Christianity teaches love, patience and forgiveness and that's the opposite of what I'm hearing.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:31 PM

I'm trying to figure out why this is even a story? I'm having a of trouble posting tonight because my Micro Cell is slowing down my broadband connection. I wonder if AT&T is anti-WiFi?

Happy Chanukkah everyone. There's so much spin on this story that I'd rather use a dreidel.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:44 PM

5,876 posts, read 2,359,232 times
Quote:
You're right on the private companies, its their call and should have the right to do whatever they want this time of year. What I am more referring to are these folks that are honestly just making a big fuss out of nothing like a simple greeting, or making a big fuss out of a place that says Merry Christmas or what not at a private sector business or office.

For the most part, I agree with you on religion and politics, but at some point, the elected official's personal life, veiws and beliefs no matter who it is or what they believe, will have some bearing on how they operate within that capacity. The only time it becomes a problem is when it hinders or is in direct opposition from them doing the job they have to do like the case in Kentucky with Kim Davis (though she wasnt an elected official).
BUT BBM~~ SHE was elected into office..so since not an appointed official (who can bee fired) she could not be fired but warned about her actual duties to full and perform her duties as directed by LAW!!!! Voter's will have to make their decision come next election..in the meantime..She HAS to fulfill her duties..or get sidelined yet still paid in full by taxpayers until she gets booted thru the ballot box!!! ~~

Kim Davis Was Not Elected into Office by the Supreme Court
I hate to admit my ignorance, but I must do so now. When I posted earlier about Kim Davis, the Christian county clerk who refuses to sign so-called “marriage licenses” for same sex couples, I had no idea that her office was an elected position.
If Kim Davis was elected into office, that means she is working for no one other than the people of Rowan County. Is she supposed to behave in a lawful manner? Absolutely.

IF Kim Davis refuses to carry out her duty as an elected official due to her personal belief..then YES..she can and should be held in contempt...unfortunately taxpayers will foot her 6 digit pay until next election..She gets paid holiday due to the system....

Claims that Supreme Court is somehow ordering her to do or condone something she doesn't want to...NOPE..However, IF she is incapable of doing the job description due to her religious bellief and since elected versus appointed..TAXPAYERS have to pay her..Like it or not..It's the system!! Kim Davis is using her status to promote her personal religious belief....Just think..What if she was Muslim, or Buddhist, or some other Religion who pushed their personal religion onto everybody????????

Old 12-06-2015, 05:47 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,508,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I haven't paid too much attention to the ACLU since it supported the right of Nazis to march in a Jewish neighborhood in IL. That was way back in 1977 and now we live in a time when small stories become blown out of proportion because of the internet and cable TV. I remember when birthers started the rumors that Obama was Muslim and if he were elected would stop Christmas. There's been a White House Christmas tree every year, even a giant Chanukkah menorah.

True, and that's what frightens me about some candidates who are currently running for POTUS, but that's a whole different subject. Christianity teaches love, patience and forgiveness and that's the opposite of what I'm hearing.
Oh boy dont even get me started on the ACLU haha

Old 12-06-2015, 06:43 PM

4,955 posts, read 1,774,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhno75 View Post
Not everyone wants to participate in your religious festivals. That's not a war on anything, it's called "freedom."
Better enjoy it while it lasts my friend.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
IF Kim Davis refuses to carry out her duty as an elected official due to her personal belief..then YES..she can and should be held in contempt...unfortunately taxpayers will foot her 6 digit pay until next election..She gets paid holiday due to the system....

Claims that Supreme Court is somehow ordering her to do or condone something she doesn't want to...NOPE..However, IF she is incapable of doing the job description due to her religious bellief and since elected versus appointed..TAXPAYERS have to pay her..Like it or not..It's the system!! Kim Davis is using her status to promote her personal religious belief....Just think..What if she was Muslim, or Buddhist, or some other Religion who pushed their personal religion onto everybody????????
Agree. What if someone worked for the USDA and became vegan? Would she be able to ban meat? Close restaurants that serve meat or stop leather imports? Of course not.

Those who keep shouting "Freedom of Speech" and "Freedom of Religion" need to go back and study the First Amendment. What's very clever, however, is that the term "Religious Freedom" has taken on a meaning just the opposite of what was intended. The First Amendment specifically states that no law can be made to impede the free exercise of religion, which is exactly what someone is doing when she wants to impose her own beliefs on others.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:15 AM

1,691 posts, read 812,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Yesterday morning CBS news reported that Christmas lights could interfere with your WIFI connection. If this was isolated it could be ignored.
--- Shut up CBS.

Then I get to work and I find out that the building manager is telling people to take down Christmas decorations that are in plain sight.
--- I will be decorating my cubicle on Monday.
As a non-religious bystander, I would say it's a war on christianity, not just a holiday. I have witnessed the rapidly increasing anti-christian rhetoric, inconsistencies and false analogies over the last several years. It may not be widespread yet, but the visibility is high enough for me as a non-religious person to see it. You are right to call it out regardless of how others try to minimize it and shut you up.

Some people go into a blind rage if a kid wears a cross symbol necklace to public school but we don't hear a whimper when public schools set aside prayer rooms for muslim students. They should at least be consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or