U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?
Merry Christmas 57 52.29%
Happy Holidays 27 24.77%
I like pie 25 22.94%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:24 AM

35,109 posts, read 19,203,402 times

Advertisements

Oh no!

Once again, xmas is under siege!

But it has a steadfast ally!

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 11:19 AM

1,700 posts, read 818,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Yesterday morning CBS news reported that Christmas lights could interfere with your WIFI connection. If this was isolated it could be ignored.
--- Shut up CBS.

Then I get to work and I find out that the building manager is telling people to take down Christmas decorations that are in plain sight.
--- I will be decorating my cubicle on Monday.
Last week a NJ councilwoman resigned her position over the word Christmas in the city's tree lighting ceremony. I read that she has since rescinded her resignation, but not sure if that is true. I guess she thought she could force her way by resigning since that works sometimes.

She failed where others have succeeded. Each year, we see people forcing changes and even cancelling holiday programs and traditions. This hypersensitivity is a joke.

Let us know how your decorations were received.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:48 AM

10,812 posts, read 8,026,957 times
I support the right of businesses, including malls, to decorate in their choice of themes or not to decorate at all, and to instruct their employees how to greet or not greet customers.
I support the right of consumers and clients to boycott businesses for any reason whatsoever, including how that business observes holidays.

Regarding public property, the Supreme Court has been tolerant in its rulings on displays of nativities, creches, etc. on government property.
There has never been a problem with Christmas trees and decorations.

In fact, according to whitehouse.gov,
Quote:
The East Wing of the White House features a Christmas tree adorned with gold star ornaments, honoring the heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
<snip>
In the Blue Room, a grand oval room overlooking the South Lawn and Washington Monument, is the official White House Christmas tree.
<snip>
A long-standing holiday tradition—the White House crèche—graces the East Room. The nativity scene made of terra cotta and intricately carved wood was fashioned in Naples, Italy, in the eighteenth century.
According to recreation.gov
Quote:
On December 3, 2015 the National Park Foundation and National Park Service will present the 93rd annual National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony. Popular entertainers and a United States military band add to the celebratory evening when the President of the United States lights the National Christmas Tree.
According to nps.gov, this schedule features a number of church and religious groups:
Quote:
The 2015 National Christmas Tree Music Program begins with performances on Wednesday, December 9 and continue through Tuesday, December 22, 2015 (with no performances on Monday December, 14).

Old 12-07-2015, 11:57 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,355,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Last week a NJ councilwoman resigned her position over the word Christmas in the city's tree lighting ceremony. I read that she has since rescinded her resignation, but not sure if that is true. I guess she thought she could force her way by resigning since that works sometimes.

She failed where others have succeeded. Each year, we see people forcing changes and even cancelling holiday programs and traditions. This hypersensitivity is a joke.

She's back. She says that calling it a Christmas tree is violating the Constitution about separation of Church and State. Also calls herself a christian.

If she really knew her religion then she'd know that the tree itself was a pagan ritual originating in Germany.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:59 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,231,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The Jihadists and Leftists share a disdain for this particular holiday. Another common cause.
lol! Yeah, liberals just hate a holiday where you get time off work to open presents and eat tons of food. You figured it all out

Old 12-07-2015, 12:56 PM

1,700 posts, read 818,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
She's back. She says that calling it a Christmas tree is violating the Constitution about separation of Church and State. Also calls herself a christian.

If she really knew her religion then she'd know that the tree itself was a pagan ritual originating in Germany.
I never considered it to be a religious symbol, not even as a kid when I attended catholic school and church. I don't recall anyone in the church ever suggesting that it was either.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:14 PM

7,215 posts, read 7,889,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Oh no!

Once again, xmas is under siege!

But it has a steadfast ally!

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Yes, when I think of "peace and good will toward men", I think of Bill O'Reilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-Y3HJNU_s

Old 12-07-2015, 01:16 PM

14,210 posts, read 10,079,487 times
~yawns~

Old 12-07-2015, 02:12 PM

1,151 posts, read 643,049 times
I don't care what they used to celebrate way back in the dark ages. Who does anybody know that worships Saturn? The lights brighten up dreary winter weather, trees with no leaves, dark cold nights, and they make things beautiful. The giving of gifts encourages people to show love and appreciation to relatives and friends. The Christmas get together encourages people to set aside busy schedules and spend time together. Church services remind people who are believers what happened so many years ago and how special it is to celebrate that.

Our church has many extra ways to help people less fortunate during this month. What is so wrong with that?

I believe those that want us all to stop these things feel sorta left out and public displays of this holiday make them sad. There certainly is some reason they do not want us to show our beliefs publicly. Tolerance should go all directions.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:15 PM

4,730 posts, read 1,961,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

It was about eight feet of red and green garland. My boss said that it was beautiful. A coworker who is a wise cracker but has a good heart asked if it was fireproof. The building manager hasn't been around today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or