Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?
Merry Christmas 57 52.29%
Happy Holidays 27 24.77%
I like pie 25 22.94%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Just celebrate the original pagan holiday that was on Dec. 25th instead.
The original holiday was Saturnalia that ran for 8 days worshipping and celebrating the god Saturn.
Full of gift giving, partying, lots of eating drinking and gambling, etc.

Roman Empire festival well before the birth of Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 09:23 AM

174 posts, read 117,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Is this a Rodney Dangerfield routine?

There are a lot of real wars in progress around the globe. Homes destroyed, people being tortured and slaughtered and, oh yeah, bombed.

Sorry about your xmas decoration issues.
The epitome of a First World Problem.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The real war on Christmas was won long ago. I'm agnostic, but even I see that the religious aspect of Christmas has been destroyed and replaced by America's real religion; money.

It's a consumer based holiday. We're bombarded with holiday ads and deals, and why we need to buy this NOW! And it's hurting people. People go into debt because they buy too much, and no one cares. neither the Democrats nor the Republicans seem to care. The Christians, and all their charity, are to busy getting mad about the trivial BS, like lights? And the anti-Christmas pro-Holiday crowd is consistently missing the real point.

Christmas is a consumer holiday. Religion hasn't had anything to do with it for a long time.
I could not agree more. I have no problem with people who decorate, but for me the holidays are something I share with my closest loved ones. Other than a wreath on our door, we really do very little that is visible to the general public, and I resent this idea that my participation or lack of participation in others' holiday traditions is somehow representative of a War on Christmas. Christmas is a religious celebration, not a consumer event, and it appears so many people have lost sight of that.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You don't celebrate my religious holiday, why should I observe yours?

But the fact that the OP wants to ignore the fact that Christmas lights might interfere with WIFI is just denial of inconvenient facts.
Fact ? LOL..hardly fact. It's a story that went viral.
Your microwave and cordless phones are worse offenders.

No, Christmas lights won't slow down your Wi-Fi
If you’re thinking about shifting or taking down your Christmas lights because you heard such holiday decorations can slow down your Wi-Fi network, hold it right there. Lots of things cause Wi-Fi issues, but unless your home is absolutely swathed in Christmas lights, (think Griswold), holiday decorations are not one of them.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:25 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Are the comical Kwanza celebrations going to be banned soon?

Old 12-05-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm also Agnostic, and I could not agree more. I have no problem with people who decorate, but for me the holidays are something I share with my closest loved ones. Other than a wreath on our door, we really do very little that is visible to the general public, and I resent this idea that my participation or lack of participation in others' holiday traditions is somehow representative of a War on Christmas. Christmas is a religious celebration, not a consumer event, and it appears so many people have lost sight of that.
There's a difference between what you do personally and what seems to be forced on others.

The war on Christmas is not coming from individuals who choose not to decorate.
It's coming from individuals who not only choose not to decorate but don't want you do decorate either.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:31 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,017 times
Believe this is due to so many groups wanting to celebrate and display something that it's just done away with rather than have the disputes. You can still do as you please with your own property including businesses and churches.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's a difference between what you do personally and what seems to be forced on others.

The war on Christmas is not coming from individuals who choose not to decorate.
It's coming from individuals who not only choose not to decorate but don't want you do decorate either.
Has someone come into your home and required that you take down your tree or that you remove a creche from your front yard? If so, then I agree that's a problem. As for your place of work, that's up to your employer. I am fully on board with a business, whether public or private, regulating whether or not employees may decorate.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:33 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Much ado about nothing. No one is preventing you from enjoying the season.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:36 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Are the comical Kwanza celebrations going to be banned soon?
No. You can keep celebrating. Raise those stars and bars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies