U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:35 PM

62,701 posts, read 34,168,378 times

Advertisements

Ted Cruz made this same claim, and received four Pinocchio's for the it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 01:35 PM

6,554 posts, read 3,268,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I think republicans do have something to offer you
  • More affordable housing by removing minimum restrictions on housing. Why does some clown sitting in an overstuffed chair dictate that a one bedroom must be a minimum of 700sqft. Let the market decide what people will buy
  • A better selection of starter jobs because companies can better afford to open up to them. To bring a new employee on today costs an enormous amount of money.
  • Lower corporate taxes and other restrictions allowing manufacturing and other low skill jobs to remain here and still remain profitable
  • Fair taxes where everybody has skin in the game driving sensible spending decisions, stop spending money on things we do not need. Reduce the government back to persevering our rights, freedoms, and safety.

That is just a start
The GOP doesn't capitalize on these issues. They should, because I agree with you, and I tend to identify as liberal. I believe more diversity in how groups vote is a good thing. The problem here, Republican voters don't want to here about helping the poor or giving felons a second chance. A large majority want to here... well, things the Donald Trump says, which is meant as insult to those people, make no mistake about it. Many Republicans (my father, for example) are disgusted by Donald Trump and very much do care about poor people and are willing to give those who have fallen a second chance.

They are not the vocal majority. I don't know if they're a minority or not, but they are not the loudest ones. The majority has spoken and we know what they want. And it's not a good sign for the future of the GOP. And I don't want a single party to have a disproportionate amount of power, even if I'm more likely to agree with them. The GOP needs to work on those issues and talk about things like this rather than how much of a threat ISIS is according to a man with no credibility (still talking about Trump).

Old 12-05-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
So let's say some guy is young, wild, and crazy and gets into selling drugs. He gets caught, serves his time, and gets his head screwed on straight. Once he's done, who is looking out for him?
Almost no one. But the Democrats are more willing to talk about things that might help him get back on his feet. It's not that they're the only ones who will, but they're the ones talking about it.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:37 PM

6,316 posts, read 3,322,331 times
Thread fail?? I don't think so

Here's another link that explains it better:
"American Academy of Political and Social Science and found that 73% of felons who participate in presidential elections vote Democrat."

After they are released and recover voting rights, they do not have a high turnout at voting. But that does not
Erase the fact that the vast majority of felons that do vote are registered democrat.
7-Out-of-10 Felons Register as Democrats

Old 12-05-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I think republicans do have something to offer you
  • More affordable housing by removing minimum restrictions on housing. Why does some clown sitting in an overstuffed chair dictate that a one bedroom must be a minimum of 700sqft. Let the market decide what people will buy
  • A better selection of starter jobs because companies can better afford to open up to them. To bring a new employee on today costs an enormous amount of money.
  • Lower corporate taxes and other restrictions allowing manufacturing and other low skill jobs to remain here and still remain profitable
  • Fair taxes where everybody has skin in the game driving sensible spending decisions, stop spending money on things we do not need. Reduce the government back to persevering our rights, freedoms, and safety.
That is just a start
They talk about cutting corporate taxes, but refuse to actually do it. Even Obama, a liberal, has proposed a corporate tax cut four times.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:38 PM

19,649 posts, read 14,616,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Quickly, let me make this about as many other groups as possible!

Do you know how irrelevant any of this information is? Completely.

Do you know why radical Muslims might support Democrats. It's because Democrats are more willing to support non-radical Muslims. But let me be perfectly clear, Radical Muslims are not Democrats. I know you're smart enough to see that. Radical Muslims would disagree with Democrats on quite a lot. For example, the Republican view on homosexuality isn't extreme enough for them.

Don't point to irrelevant detail and expect them to mean something.
"Radical Muslims would disagree with Democrats on quite a lot."
Absolutely, thats the hypocrisy of the Democrat party and why I am no longer one. It's analogous to KKK members belonging to the Republican party, a party I wouldn't belong too either. Unfortunately the Democrats create a defacto safe haven for Radical Islam, Illegal Aliens, felons and any other sub group that feels disenfranchised.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post

"American Academy of Political and Social Science and found that 73% of felons who participate in presidential elections vote Democrat."

After they are released and recover voting rights, they do not have a high turnout at voting. But that does not
Erase the fact that the vast majority of felons that do vote are registered democrat.
That headline suffers the same failure saying "7-Out-of-10 Felons Register as Democrats" when 75% of felons do not register at all. All in all less that 20% of felons register as Dems, and that is only in three states.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:43 PM

6,342 posts, read 4,358,116 times
Quote:
Not surprising to many of us, but explains how our country has gotten so far off track.
This helps explain the inexplicable rationale behind the democrats support for someone as deeply dishonest and corrupted as Hillary.

Jail survey: 7 in 10 felons register as Democrats | Washington Examiner
ROTFLMAO!! that makes total sense to me! 😂😂

Old 12-05-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:

I'm still not seeing any evidence to support your claim that this is why America is 'falling of the rails.' So, 73% of felons who do vote in presidential elections vote Democrat. How many is that and if that group didn't vote, would that make a difference? That's the kind of data I'll need to even think felons voting is relevant, but even then, there's more to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Radical Muslims would disagree with Democrats on quite a lot."
Absolutely, thats the hypocrisy of the Democrat party and why I am no longer one. It's analogous to KKK members belonging to the Republican party, a party I wouldn't belong too either. Unfortunately the Democrats create a defacto safe haven for Radical Islam, Illegal Aliens, felons and any other sub group that feels disenfranchised.
Well, that's an issues of identity politics, which is an issue that really can't be talked about on CD in any sort of constructive way. Most think the side they don't vote for is the only one that does it, while there's is clean.

A guy who went to a Trump rally was interviewed and he said the people there weren't exactly the people you'd want representing America. He said the group in front of him was harassing an Indian boy and mentioned something about wanting to shoot him. Now, is that how all Trump rallies go? Probably not, but let's be honest, both parties do have crowds of people that aren't necessarily ideal.

I do want to defend felons for a moment though; not every felon is necessarily a bad person. Many just want to get back on their feet and the Democrats are the ones talking about ways to do that. Some don't, and I'm sure they also don't vote Republican, but let's be realistic; who's more likely to vote: a felon who wants to turn their life around or a felon who's gone right back into bad habits after release?

Old 12-05-2015, 01:52 PM

33,046 posts, read 21,956,744 times
Quote:

Do you know what it means in statistics when one 'controls' for one or more variables?

The obvious elephant in this discussion is race, as a large proportion of felons are black.

One might logically expect black felons to vote a lot like black non-felons, i.e. one would expect a large proportion of felons to vote democrat because a large proportion of felons are blacks who vote democrat.

Everything i've read suggests felons have very low median income, so i would also expect felons to vote a lot like poor non-felons.

I don't have access to the data but i'd guess that once you control for race and income, there's not a whole lot interesting about felons and voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies