U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 01:41 AM

9,929 posts, read 6,244,086 times

Advertisements

" Do you think that our government is protecting us from terrorists?? "

I think some people in the government are working very hard to protect us from terrorists. However, they are understaffed, burdened with red tape, have incompetent bosses and often have their hand tied. So, generally speaking, my answer is no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:07 AM

7,981 posts, read 3,418,277 times
No, 9/11 was proof of that. Yet our incompetent president couldn't connect the dots......

Old 12-07-2015, 03:29 AM

14,261 posts, read 11,605,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" Do you think that our government is protecting us from terrorists?? "

I think some people in the government are working very hard to protect us from terrorists. However, they are understaffed, burdened with red tape, have incompetent bosses and often have their hand tied. So, generally speaking, my answer is no.

How about when you find out that some of those same people are also on the "Watch List": 72 DHS Employees on Terrorist Watch List - Washington Free Beacon! The fox guarding the chicken coop.

Also according to that article and talking about statements from Rep. Stephen Lynch (not Loretta Lynch): "Lynch referred to a recent report that found the Transportation Security Administration, which is overseen by DHS, failed to stop 95 percent of those who attempted to bring restricted items past airport security."

Of course somebody could argue that at least TSA's presence deters attacks - but it would be nice to know that they actually knew how to stop an attack!

Old 12-07-2015, 04:13 AM

16,664 posts, read 9,042,516 times
Obama is a doofus.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:25 AM

6,884 posts, read 4,901,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Do you think that our government is protecting us from terrorists??

No, we are arming them at the request of the gun lobby.

But considering that San Bernedino was the biggest attack since 9/11 on US Soil, I think we've done better than most would have expected. And for the record, that is 14 years. 7 under Republican, 7 under Democratic leadership. Take away the rhetoric, and they are doing mostly the same thing with regards to protecting us.

I do think that putting boots on the ground would have the effect of increasing terrorism against USA.

I am also convinced that no matter what we do, or no matter who is in control of our government, we'll see more (many more) attacks before we ever start to see less. Again, non-partisan comment.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:42 AM

599 posts, read 307,413 times
Absolutely not. I don't feel confident at all for the safety of Americans in the United States and abroad under the Obama Administration. He says ISIS is contained and then ISIS kills over 130 people in Paris, France and he says that there are no credible threats to the homeland when soon after the largest terrorist attack since 9/11 occurs in California. Now I know that the government can't protect us from everything though he infringes on civil liberties when doing so particularly the Second Amendment as many of you saw in his address to the nation last night when he stated that no one needs an assault rifle. Yet how do we define an assault rifle? Is it because some of them look scary? Probably so and many in this Administration can't seem to grasp that they function just like any other semi automatic firearm.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:39 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,511,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
As long as the United States goes traipsing around the world meddling in the affairs of other nations, we're inviting terrorism onto our shores.

And the government can't really protect you from it.
So "U.S involvement" around the world is the reason for two Muslims who believe in a medieval interpretation of Islam, to kill 14 innocent people due to their rejection of the prophet Mohammed?

Old 12-07-2015, 09:41 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,331,008 times
Fox guarding the hens.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:56 AM

25,235 posts, read 13,978,989 times
Somewhat, yes. Then again the government has to get it right 100% of the time and terrorists only have to get lucky every once in a while to make people live in fear and change their societies, meaning doing exactly what the terrorists want.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:40 AM

34,997 posts, read 19,122,180 times
Lightbulb Do you think that our government is protecting us from terrorists??

Before 9/11... not so much

After 9/11... yup

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or