Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 05:49 AM

599 posts, read 399,144 times

Advertisements

Well first let's enforce the laws already on the books.
Universal Background checks with exceptions to private transfers between family members and former gun purchasers.
Ban on violent offenders from acquiring firearms such as domestic abusers.

I'm a Republican and these are about the only gun control measures I can support.

Here are policies that I believe will make our nation safer.

Allow the Constitutional Carrying of handguns to be legal in every state while allowing states to regulate the carrying of semi automatic rifles.

Overturn all existing semi automatic (assault rifle) bans except in the city limits of cities with a population over 1,000,000.

There are plenty of pro Second Amendment measures we should introduce in this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 05:53 AM

77,020 posts, read 47,392,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
No guns for:
-recent immigrants (i.e. not citizens)
-people who have been to a terrorist country in the past 10 years (other than armed forces, US government employees)
-people with mental illness
-people with criminal history
What is a terrorist country?

Maybe a black list would be a good idea, meaning if CIA or FBI knows someone has connections to terrorist organizations they should be on a black list where buying a gun would be made more difficult.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:59 AM

58,659 posts, read 26,945,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Its not always financial. When you go for a Job today most Corps require a back round check which takes more then 3 days.

Keep the emotions out and come up with answers I believe was part of the topic.
"Keep the emotions out and come up with answers I believe was part of the topic."

No "emotions" expressed.

Sorry your "reading between the lines" is failing you!

Old 12-07-2015, 06:01 AM

11,085 posts, read 10,644,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would much rather go without a gun for the next 5 years, make it 10.
And we're all okay with you not having a gun.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:01 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,877,038 times
None, enforce the laws on the books and throw the book at anyone that commits a crime using a firearm.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Boss

The quote function either wasn't done correctly or it messed up.

The gun show regulations are a federal law.

There are already charges that can be brought against those who make straw purchases. If the feds refuse to prosecute the answer isn't in new laws the feds won't pursue and what a joke in suing someone for legally selling a product because the buyer then miss uses it.

Should we sue a rope manufacturer that has someone use their rope to strangle someone? Of course not.

There have been all sorts of studies. You can study until you are blue in the face and it changes nothing.

To a Nancy Pelosi your 30/30 is an assault weapon. It will kill as quickly as any "assault weapon".
Good post.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Doing nothing is not working. As a gun owner I want to be able to have the access needed when I want to.

Some how, we as a society, need to be able to come up with ideas to limit the carnage that is created by use of something a lot of us own lawfully.
"Some how, we as a society, need to be able to come up with ideas to limit the carnage that is created by use of something a lot of us own lawfully"

NO law in the world will stop a person who is sane 1 day and goes crazy the next.

Like they say, "if you don't learn from history, it WILL repeat itself".

Many of us KNOW about Prohibition and how well that stopped ALL people from drinking alcohol.

We have seen the great job the "War on drugs" has done to curtail drug usage.

People who THINK NEW laws will stop insane people and crooks from continuing doing what they have done for centuries, IMO, are the "crazy" ones!

Old 12-07-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Not true. The court affirmed the right of the individual to a self defense weapon. It also affirmed the right of government to regulate fire arms.

The remaining issue is where to draw the line. Could government outlaw hand guns? Possibly. But perhaps not.
The "court" has changed it's mind many times from 1 generation to the next.

Because it is the "law" today, does NOT mean it will still be the law "tomorrow"

Old 12-07-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I would like to see certain classes of guns prohibited, like the AR-15 assault rifle.

If one is interested in protecting his or her home, then there are plenty of weapons that will do the job. We have two shotguns and a handgun, which will suffice.

Constitutionally, I disagree with those who believe that the 'right to bear arms' means that literally every type of 'arm' is sacred. One may easily prohibit certain types of weapons (machine gun, etc) with the citizens of this country still having a massive choice of self-defense weapons. It is rather childish to proclaim that if one cannot purchase one particular weapon then their constitutional right is being violated.

The Constitution also has a prohibition regarding the freedom of speech, but there are, even then, certain limitations.

Those that wish to kill a lot of people quickly, should have their choices more limited (not being able to purchase AR-15s, etc). Those that are interested in self-defense have a wide variety of weapons at their disposal.

I recognize that the genie is already out of the bottle. There are plenty of AR-15s in private hands, so a 'ban' on such will not affect those that already own one (including budding mass killers). Yet, in the years to come, perhaps it will save some lives.
"I would like to see certain classes of guns prohibited, like the AR-15 assault rifle."

You loose right of the chute.

the AR-15 is NOT an assult rifle.

The fact that you do NOT know, and has been pointed out hundreds of times in these threads with YOU participate in, that puts you in the the "no credibility category, so what you say is TOTALLY ignored.

You and your type are one reason why we CAN'T have "real" discussions on the subject.

"Constitutionally, I disagree with those who believe that the 'right to bear arms' means that literally every type of 'arm' is sacred.

The Constitution does NOT say, "ONLY CERTAIN weapons", does it?

Show us ANY quote from ANY of the Founding Father's to support what you "think"

I have read many things from the Father's about "arms" and I DON'T recall ANY thing even coming CLOSE to "certain" arms.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 12-07-2015 at 06:48 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 06:25 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,420,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94buickcentury View Post
I don't know if someone mentioned this yet. Since this thread is 17 pages long I am not going to search through them all for it, but just in case if it isn't mentioned yet, lets look at the Second Amendment shall we

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

I don't get why people who use the Second Amendment to justify having no gun laws always skip the bolded part. Having guns is a privilege and not a right because for it to be a right, a group has to be a WELL REGULATED MILITIA. Random people owning guns does not count as a well regulated militia. Using the Second Amendment as an excuse not to expand on gun laws makes you an imbecile no offense.
It does not say the right of the Militia.. It clearly says the right of the PEOPLE.
I am my own individual militia. Gun ownership is an individual right. Thus we would not be able to keep & bare if it were not.

Government has turned it into a privilege even though they have been told over and over HELL NO YOU AIN"T

Last edited by BentBow; 12-07-2015 at 06:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies