U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:31 PM

5,569 posts, read 8,917,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It should be illegal for any elected official who opposes guns to own a gun and/or receive protection from an armed Secret Service or other armed security contingent.
Seems reasonable to me. Let the elected official follow the same laws as honest citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,217 posts, read 1,723,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You do know that "assault weapons" are used in only 4% +/- of all gun murders right? Why do you feel we need to ban "assault weapons" rather than ban handguns which account for over 80% of the gun murders?
Because they know Americans would not support a handgun ban. They would rather convince Americans that don't know better that AR15s are machine guns by calling them assault weapons. It's more palatable to Americans to accept a ban on "assault weapon of war", than handguns. Then they can say they did something.

12,973 posts, read 12,812,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Universal bans have always failed, and where in place are associated with the highest violence in this country.

Mandatory ownership includes most famously Kenesaw, Georgia and Nucla, Colorado. Both have very low rates of violent crime or any kind of gun violence. We should expand this nation-wide. The whole country doesn't have to run with blood like Chicago or DC.
Universal bans work reasonably well elsewhere. They can certainly be beaten...but the general ban of say hand guns could vastly reduce their availability and up the cost. That would cut down on gun crime.

Kenesaw shows less than normal reduction in violent crime since the millennium. Kenesaw doen not have low crime rates compared to comparable bedroom suburbs. They don't even get to average in term of change.

I find it difficult to believe you think Nucla, CO is relevant to anything. 700 people? One violent incident and their numbers will be worse than Chicago. Now we could I suppose watch for a hundred years and get some reasonable data.

Give it up Toyman. It is not a rational argument.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:37 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,723,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Universal bans work reasonably well elsewhere. They can certainly be beaten...but the general ban of say hand guns could vastly reduce their availability and up the cost. That would cut down on gun crime.

Kenesaw shows less than normal reduction in violent crime since the millennium. Kenesaw doen not have low crime rates compared to comparable bedroom suburbs. They don't even get to average in term of change.

I find it difficult to believe you think Nucla, CO is relevant to anything. 700 people? One violent incident and their numbers will be worse than Chicago. Now we could I suppose watch for a hundred years and get some reasonable data.

Give it up Toyman. It is not a rational argument.
You want to ban guns? All you have to do is repeal the 2A. Just get 2/3 of both houses and 3/4 the states legislatures to agree with you.

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 12-05-2015 at 06:00 PM..

Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM

79,556 posts, read 33,727,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Its in relation to the Main Topic. Its a given. I was pointing out something to you..Its a right, not a law to infringe or tighten it.
So as I said......

Old 12-05-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
You want to ban guns? All you have to do is repeal the 2A. Just get 2/3 the senate and 3/4 the states legislatures to agree with you.
You need to read the thread. I said it is probably impossible for the foreseeable future to ban guns. The second is not going away. But you could easily ban hand guns without removing the second. Not likely but possible.

I also suggest that give the rational solution is impossible we might consider universal concealed carry.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:45 PM

6,991 posts, read 7,797,983 times
Quote:
You need to read the thread. I said it is probably impossible for the foreseeable future to ban guns. The second is not going away. But you could easily ban hand guns without removing the second. Not likely but possible.

I also suggest that give the rational solution is impossible we might consider universal concealed carry.
Actually, considering the SCOTUS ruling in the Miller decision about arms "in common use at the time", banning handguns would be nearly impossible without going completely against precedent.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, considering the SCOTUS ruling in the Miller decision about arms "in common use at the time", banning handguns would be nearly impossible without going completely against precedent.
Got a source for that? Love to see it. Don't expect to.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:56 PM

6,991 posts, read 7,797,983 times
Quote:
Got a source for that? Love to see it. Don't expect to.
Sorry, that should have read the Heller decision. What I get for typing on a tablet with autocorrect active.

Quote:
Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. Pp. 54–56.
https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/554/570/

Old 12-05-2015, 06:59 PM

66,574 posts, read 33,869,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
2A aside, what laws that arent already on the books would you like to see implemented?

All laws pertaining to weapons of any kind, are unconstitutional. Government gets no say in what we keep & bear.

and that Shall not be infringed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies