U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2015, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Lost in Texas
9,833 posts, read 5,823,966 times
Reputation: 3404

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Texas did that due to all the Christian values Texas like to have. I mean Lawrence V. Texas was the Supreme Court case in which sodomy with consent was deemed legal. Texas has several counties trying to fight the gay marriage equal protection right as well. It isn't as much liberal talking points as people would think. There's fact in there.
I wouldn't hold my breath. It isn't going to happen. As far as the debate against gay marriage and the sodomy laws, a lot of states have antiquated laws on the books. In fact most do. Every so often a over zealous politician or public official exercises those laws. Even in your state. My personal opinion doesn't matter, but I personally believe that all such laws should be states rights issues. If you don't like the laws of the state you are in, no problem. Leave it and move to a state that supports your beliefs. This applies to a myriad of issues. Gun laws, marriage laws, in runs the gambit. If states aren't different, what is the purpose of having states?

 
Old 12-06-2015, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,646 posts, read 14,124,840 times
Reputation: 15832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Let Texas attempt to secede. This time it would not take long for our military to crush them.
So why hasn't the US won in Afghanistan?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Unilateral secession is unconstitutional and is enforceable by military intervention per the Supreme Court. The Civil War provides the precedent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Secession is illegal, it's as simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Not just unpatriotic. It's called treason.
No, the Supreme Court ruled secession is constitutional under Dalton v Specter (1994), and United States v. Curtiss-Wright (1936).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The only way Texas can legally secede is to call a Constitutional Convention and have the other states grant consent for Texas to leave.
Show us in the Constitution or case law where it says that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
TX has been talking and threatening to do this for years now. I wish they would either go ahead and do it or shut up.
So have Vermont and New Hampshire, but no one gets bent out of shape when they do.
 
Old 12-06-2015, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,094 posts, read 15,645,249 times
Reputation: 9806
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath. It isn't going to happen. As far as the debate against gay marriage and the sodomy laws, a lot of states have antiquated laws on the books. In fact most do. Every so often a over zealous politician or public official exercises those laws. Even in your state. My personal opinion doesn't matter, but I personally believe that all such laws should be states rights issues. If you don't like the laws of the state you are in, no problem. Leave it and move to a state that supports your beliefs. This applies to a myriad of issues. Gun laws, marriage laws, in runs the gambit. If states aren't different, what is the purpose of having states?
On the 1800s you could easily move if you weren't in the industrialized north. Nowadays, too many people have ties to the area not to move or get moved to areas where they don't agree with laws for work and told (oh it's temporary) when it is much longer than they are told. You think its easy to do so, I'm here to tell you it isn't. I know about stupid laws in my state but I am far from being in a position to be able to move away from the archic and idiotic laws that Arizona has and the laws they should have (if only as amendments to existing law) but dont. When you work for the state (the schools) and are tied into strate retirement, it is hard to get out.
 
Old 12-06-2015, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,050 posts, read 12,005,886 times
Reputation: 8689
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I don't believe people who were Japanese, or of Japanese descent, flew planes into our buildings, or had a sleeper at Fort Hood, or the most recent events in San Bernardino.

If Obama was President at the time of 9/11 he would have described that as work place violence by people of an unknown Ideology

Maybe you are not old enough? rem Pearl Harbor?

The new war is ran by cowards who are brainwashed- hungry and desperate people who pray their god will at least bless them for some horrible crime- Isis is grown to 60 thousand members across many regions they are like ants devouring all they trample on- kill what is not useful and doctrine the men-or women they can use by force or some crazy ideology.
There was some comments by the financial world that the Saudis will be broke in 5 yrs if the oil prices keep going down-- who then will stop the beast?? if we do not start working our Intel and mash up with other countries Intel- they will pull more unfavorable surprises.
We have NO budget for our Intel and thanks to Cruz and his team they have shut a lot of the avenues to obtain that Intel-
FBI's Anti-Terror Efforts 'Severely Hindered' By Sequestration: Reporthttp://www.ibtimes.com/fbis-anti-terror-efforts-severely-hindered-sequestration-report-1859946

France anti-terror plan calls for hiring more intel agents
France plans to spend 425 million euros ($490 million) over the next three years for the new measures. They include leaning on Internet companies and social media to help in the fight, creating an improved database of suspected extremists, and increasing intelligence-gathering on jihadis and other radicals in part by making it easier to tap phones. About 2,600 counter-terrorism officers will be hired, 1,100 of them specifically for intelligence services...

Right now WE have NO BUDGET allocated- possible shut down DEC 11- keep fighting over PP--
all the typing and talking will not change anything

Last edited by tinytrump; 12-06-2015 at 01:02 PM..
 
Old 12-06-2015, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Lost in Texas
9,833 posts, read 5,823,966 times
Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
On the 1800s you could easily move if you weren't in the industrialized north. Nowadays, too many people have ties to the area not to move or get moved to areas where they don't agree with laws for work and told (oh it's temporary) when it is much longer than they are told. You think its easy to do so, I'm here to tell you it isn't. I know about stupid laws in my state but I am far from being in a position to be able to move away from the archic and idiotic laws that Arizona has and the laws they should have (if only as amendments to existing law) but dont. When you work for the state (the schools) and are tied into strate retirement, it is hard to get out.
No it isn't. You make a sacrifice and you move. The fact that you don't move is a choice on your behalf, not a restriction.
 
Old 12-06-2015, 12:53 PM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,226,012 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
A well organized group of Republican leaders in Austin, Texas tried to pass a resolution to put on a March 2016 ballot in favor of Texas formally severing all ties with the United States. In other words - Secession ... just like what the Confederates attempted back in 1861.


The resolution was narrowly defeated a few hours ago.


It seems to me a more realistic way to register your dissatisfaction with the government is through the power of the ballot box: voting for elected officials, passing laws and ordinances, amending the constitution if necessary.


Secession is an extreme measure. It certainly did not work in 1861. If Texas Republicans are opposed to President Obama, can't they just wait until his term of office expires in little over a year?


To attempt to divorce yourself from the USA sounds unpatriotic to many. If there is a problem with our government, we who live in a democracy have the power to fix it. If I was a Texas Republican I would be angry that leaders of my political party would try to disrespect our country.

It is nice that you apparently believe what you post but oh so wrong. If Texas is alone in wanting to secede because no other state agrees with what they want, why should they remain? As for voting out the powers that be, hasn't worked in the last two presidential elections or any actions that the feds take which are not seen as being in their interests.


Sometimes, you just have to cut ties with a dictatorship.
 
Old 12-06-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,050 posts, read 12,005,886 times
Reputation: 8689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
It is nice that you apparently believe what you post but oh so wrong. If Texas is alone in wanting to secede because no other state agrees with what they want, why should they remain? As for voting out the powers that be, hasn't worked in the last two presidential elections or any actions that the feds take which are not seen as being in their interests.


Sometimes, you just have to cut ties with a dictatorship.

All bogus talk--they are not about to give up federal dollars-- do you know how many federal agencies and funds come into Texas? Political bla bla-- you can count of 15% of your workforce to be fed-
 
Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,094 posts, read 15,645,249 times
Reputation: 9806
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No it isn't. You make a sacrifice and you move. The fact that you don't move is a choice on your behalf, not a restriction.
It's a choice albeit a not so feasible choice. That's like saying you have to order a ham & cheese sandwich over a peanut butter and banana at a sandwich place necause you are allergic to peanuts. Sure you made a choice but it is one that isnt really a choice. For me, I don't consider things like that an option. Call it a restriction, I call it a limiting factor that re oves not choices.
 
Old 12-06-2015, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Lost in Texas
9,833 posts, read 5,823,966 times
Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's a choice albeit a not so feasible choice. That's like saying you have to order a ham & cheese sandwich over a peanut butter and banana at a sandwich place necause you are allergic to peanuts. Sure you made a choice but it is one that isnt really a choice. For me, I don't consider things like that an option. Call it a restriction, I call it a limiting factor that re oves not choices.
The fact of the matter is however, if you chose to leave, there is nothing stopping you from leaving. The fact is, you choose to live where you are. You are not forced and you COULD leave. It would just be financially inconvenient for you.
 
Old 12-06-2015, 01:41 PM
 
13,884 posts, read 6,317,123 times
Reputation: 14495
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
It is not an extreme measure when the President is dumping thousands of Muslim refugees in your city and has no passion for securing the border.

I have always wondered if the US should split along Conservative and Liberal lines. Liberals would get all the felons, dope heads, Jihadists, welfare parasites, open borders, sanctuary cities, no voting id, no guns, no Columbus day, No presidents day, and best of all No christmas! Utopia!
Since you identified yourself as a liberal, enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top