Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:48 AM

37,181 posts, read 19,200,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
A well organized group of Republican leaders in Austin, Texas tried to pass a resolution to put on a March 2016 ballot in favor of Texas formally severing all ties with the United States. In other words - Secession ... just like what the Confederates attempted back in 1861.

The resolution was narrowly defeated a few hours ago.

It seems to me a more realistic way to register your dissatisfaction with the government is through the power of the ballot box: voting for elected officials, passing laws and ordinances, amending the constitution if necessary.

Secession is an extreme measure. It certainly did not work in 1861. If Texas Republicans are opposed to President Obama, can't they just wait until his term of office expires in little over a year?

To attempt to divorce yourself from the USA sounds unpatriotic to many
. If there is a problem with our government, we who live in a democracy have the power to fix it. If I was a Texas Republican I would be angry that leaders of my political party would try to disrespect our country.
Not just unpatriotic. It's called treason.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:48 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They memorized the left wing talking points

Texas has always balked at left liberal policies so we have to be the bad guy.
And over the past 8 years Obama has no love lost for Texas. We're probably #1 on his hate list.
What the people outside of Texas don't understand is that even most liberals in Texas are somewhat conservative. The state having success in any area is a bone of contention for any good east coast liberal.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Interesting conclusion Townie. Where do you draw that from? I would like to see the link.
It wouldn't surprise me if Texas did that due to all the Christian values Texas like to have. I mean Lawrence V. Texas was the Supreme Court case in which sodomy with consent was deemed legal. Texas has several counties trying to fight the gay marriage equal protection right as well. It isn't as much liberal talking points as people would think. There's fact in there.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:59 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Secession is illegal, it's as simple as that. I would personally take up arms against any secessionist wherever they may be found. We had a Civil War and a subsequent SCOTUS case about this issue (Texas v White 1869) all of which deemed secession to be illegal.

If Texas Republicans don't like the fact that Obama was elected president twice maybe they should take a look at why. Here's a big hint, the nation at large rejects the extremism, bigotry, and ignorance that permeates the Texas Republican Party.

These RADICAL Neo-conservatives Conservative,Republican,or GOP members or ditto heads or what ever it is they call themselves have the Attitude of "DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO!!"

Please note that there are a lot of Republicans turning away from these RADICAL Neo-conservatives Conservative,Republican,or GOP members or ditto heads or what ever it is they call themselves.

Easily seen in these threads here at CD.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
TX has been talking and threatening to do this for years now. I wish they would either go ahead and do it or shut up.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 PM

31,045 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well also during World War II we feared all Japanese immigrants were sleeper cells for the Japanese government and sent them into internment camps. Isn't that what the right is doing with "radical Islam?" Have you met any Muslims and did they proclaim themselves as radicals?
I don't believe people who were Japanese, or of Japanese descent, flew planes into our buildings, or had a sleeper at Fort Hood, or the most recent events in San Bernardino.

If Obama was President at the time of 9/11 he would have described that as work place violence by people of an unknown Ideology

Old 12-06-2015, 12:10 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
A growing number of American's believe that change cannot be accomplish via ballot box: How many time are we reminded that the US has a 2 party system and that not voting constitutes a vote for the other party. That is not the kind of "choice" a GREAT conntry should be subjected to.
That's because it can't. People who vote vote for a lying politicians who do what they want after making a bunch of campaign promises they have no intention of keeping, and never do. The alternative is to vote for a different politician who does what he/she wants after making a bunch of campaign promises they have no intention of keeping, and never do. No wonder so few Americans vote. Voting doesn't change anything, and increased turnout makes no difference. The same thing happens each election, no matter how many people vote. Ah, the joys of a two party "democracy."

Old 12-06-2015, 12:12 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
A well organized group of Republican leaders in Austin, Texas tried to pass a resolution to put on a March 2016 ballot in favor of Texas formally severing all ties with the United States. In other words - Secession ... just like what the Confederates attempted back in 1861.

The resolution was narrowly defeated a few hours ago.

It seems to me a more realistic way to register your dissatisfaction with the government is through the power of the ballot box: voting for elected officials, passing laws and ordinances, amending the constitution if necessary.

Secession is an extreme measure. It certainly did not work in 1861. If Texas Republicans are opposed to President Obama, can't they just wait until his term of office expires in little over a year?

To attempt to divorce yourself from the USA sounds unpatriotic to many. If there is a problem with our government, we who live in a democracy have the power to fix it. If I was a Texas Republican I would be angry that leaders of my political party would try to disrespect our country.

Because of people like you and your support for people like Dear Leader.

Fairly simple answer.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:19 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
TX has been talking and threatening to do this for years now. I wish they would either go ahead and do it or shut up.
Actually most of the secession talk has been drummed up from the left and from outside of the state of Texas. Sure, there are some secessionists in the state. I am willing to bet you can find the same in your state. Personally I don't take it very seriously. Texas isn't going anywhere...

Old 12-06-2015, 12:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You forgot that Tx would immediately ask for aid from the USA and protection from Mexico annexing them.
Says an arm-chair Buck Private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You mean once Texas became its own nation, you could count on Texas to ban homosexuality and abortion along with banning the teaching of evolution in schools, ban Muslims and the lifting of all gun restrictions?
Fantasize much?

Quote:
Secession is an extreme measure. It certainly did not work in 1861.
Asymmetrical Warfare was virtually unknown in 1861.

How are things going in Afghanistan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
A growing number of American's believe that change cannot be accomplish via ballot box: How many time are we reminded that the US has a 2 party system and that not voting constitutes a vote for the other party. That is not the kind of "choice" a GREAT conntry should be subjected to.
Exactly.

Quote:
Is that good enough reason to have an election to decided to secede from the nation?
You live in a federal republic, not a nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
If the game is rigged, you can't complain about the people who want to opt out.
Amazing, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Yeah, good point...what sort of unpatriotic loons would do something like that?

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
There it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Seriously? the US won't build the damn wall at the Mexican border, why do you think that suddenly they will build one at the new Texas border?
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies