U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:18 AM

10,829 posts, read 4,145,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
I'm repeating myself, but your fears are unfounded. A quick Google search shows that the risk of dying from....KILLED BY A TERRORIST = 1 in 20,000,000....I agree that one of the government's main duties is to protect us. Let them spend my money on a cure for cancer or heart disease. I'll take my chances with terrorists. Seriously, please explain why you are so afraid.
You'd be singing a different tune if someone close to you was killed by a terrorist.

But of course, you don't care what happens to other people.

You only care about yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
So you care about your children and grand children by acting so heartless and give in to irrational fear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I support your right to sponsor a refugee family into your own home and on your dime.

What's that? Oh you don't care that much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
I sure do and will take them in my home on my dime. However, I do not support certain other things like the invasion of Iraq. Can I have my tax money back? I certainly did not like many ideas from Bush, can I have my 8 years of my taxes back as well?

Get the idea? You live in a governed society, majority rules.
And so finecognac backpedals and finds an excuse not to help refugees after all....

How surprising.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:46 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,151,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I love how new "fallacies" are invented all the time -- always by liberals.

And to think, I thought I had covered them all when I was taking informal logic as part of my coursework in philosophy.
The "Lump of Labor Fallacy" is the most well-known fallacy in the field of economics, and was proposed in 1909.

It is considered an economic law by economists who are typically characterized as conservative.

That you've never heard of it, and think it is a recent invention 'by liberals', does not reflect well on your educational background.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:29 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,405,836 times
Try more emojis, I'm sure you'll get your legislator's attention that way.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,406,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
I'm repeating myself, but your fears are unfounded. A quick Google search shows that the risk of dying from

heart disease/cancer = 1 in 3
dying in a car accident = 1 in 19,000
drowning in a bathtub = 1 in 800,000
dying in a building fire = 1 in 99,000
struck by lightning at 1 in 5,500,000
KILLED BY A TERRORIST = 1 in 20,000,000

I agree that one of the government's main duties is to protect us. Let them spend my money on a cure for cancer or heart disease. I'll take my chances with terrorists.

Seriously, please explain why you are so afraid.
You realize that you did not address anything he said, right? There is no vetting process with these refugees.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,406,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They're not fleeing from attackers. The government is constantly talking about the 2-3 year "vetting" process before letting them finally come here, which means they've already been safe from their attackers for 2-3 years. There is no reason they cannot continue where they are.
At this point, who actually believes our government when they say things like this??? There have been so many lies over the past few years that what is said means either the opposite is true or it's a flat out lie.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The "Lump of Labor Fallacy" is the most well-known fallacy in the field of economics, and was proposed in 1909. It is considered an economic law by economists who are typically characterized as [i]conservative[i]. That you've never heard of it, and think it is a recent invention 'by liberals', does not reflect well on your educational background.
Fallacies are not simply mistakes or wrong answers (like 2 + 2 = 5).

They are forms of argumentation that do not work logically.

There are not that many of them.

That you think anything else can be considered a "fallacy" reflects very poorly on YOUR educational background -- which apparently did not even include basic logic and critical thinking.

Instead of getting on your high horse and pretending to be a "Philosopher-King," you should have simply said that conservative economists disagree with me, and then given reasons why.

You did neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or