U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:49 AM

2,393 posts, read 2,052,867 times

Advertisements

How are all the left fine with it? The fact that I am pro-choice does not mean I am fine with all abortions. It means I believe the alternative to having the ability to make that choice is a worse alternative.

I do not like the fact that some (even many) women have abortions as a means of birth control but I believe denying women that choice is not the answer.

Along the lines of allow 100 guilty to go free before we incarcerate 1 innocent person.

Many disagree. I understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 07:57 AM

66,239 posts, read 30,145,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
How are all the left fine with it? The fact that I am pro-choice does not mean I am fine with all abortions. It means I believe the alternative to having the ability to make that choice is a worse alternative.
And I believe not having the ability to buy or own a gun, when they're FAR less deadly than abortions, is also a worse alternative.

Keep everyone's right to choose. On both issues.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:58 AM

21,362 posts, read 14,264,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
For every new gun law, we have an equally restrictive abortion law.
This idea has already been floated. Actually, it is a good idea.

If a woman has a waiting period, must be checked on by a doctor with admitting privileges at a hospital, and must also watch a film, then gun background checks must:

1) Include a waiting period.
2) Applicant must be screened by a doctor to check their mental health
3) They must watch a film on mass murderers (which can also stress that most are white males)

I think this is a fair trade off, and I'm especially in favor of #2.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:02 AM

6,554 posts, read 3,267,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
Yes, because purchasing a firrarm and ending a human life are one in the same.
Ok, so I guess this is necessary, which is sad. Allow me to make that point clear:

Your gun rights are not nearly as restricted as you think. It's far easier to buy a gun in the US than any other Western country. The right likes to pretend abortions are just like going to a Walmart, but that's not the case at all. But conservative commentators capitalize on the ignorance of their audience, using fear tactics and dogmatic nonsense to get attention.

Look to reality, not Fox or Limbaugh or some blog, for how you examine reality.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:22 AM

2,393 posts, read 2,052,867 times
I am pro-choice on both too. I would also allow terminal ill to end their own life if they wanted.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:22 AM

10,933 posts, read 5,037,718 times
I love how not a single anti-gun person has answered the question.

Forget about abortion, and simply list anything you are willing to give up in a compromise for more gun legislation.

Remember what the word compromise means.

compromise: a way of reaching agreement in which each person or group gives up something that was wanted in order to end an argument or dispute

The last time background checks were being pushed, the anti-guns groups kept using the buzzword "compromise", and insisting that gun owners compromise. Well, a compromise was proposed were background checks were offered, for national concealed carry. That is a pretty generous offer by the pro-gun side, but the anti-gun groups outright refused to even discuss a compromise.

Last edited by stburr91; 12-06-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 12-06-2015, 08:34 AM

66,239 posts, read 30,145,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I am pro-choice on both too. I would also allow terminal ill to end their own life if they wanted.
Absolutely. Forcing prolonged agony and suffering that we KNOW will end in death on anyone is inhumane.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:39 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,995,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
For every new gun law, we have an equally restrictive abortion law.
Why do you want to restrict abortions? I would like to see them drop also, but what do you mean by "restricting"?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:40 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,995,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

Forget about abortion, and simply list anything you are willing to give up in a compromise for more gun legislation.

compromise: a way of reaching agreement in which each person or group gives up something that was wanted in order to end an argument or dispute

The last time background checks were being pushed, the anti-guns groups kept using the buzzword "compromise", and insisting that gun owners compromise. Well, a compromise was proposed were background checks were offered, for national concealed carry. That is a pretty generous offer by the pro-gun side, but the anti-gun groups outright refused to even discuss a compromise.
Because you don't compromise between two completely different issues... especially complicated one. And reasons for abortions are far more complicated than you believe they are.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:42 AM

4,782 posts, read 1,616,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

The last time background checks were being pushed, the anti-guns groups kept using the buzzword "compromise", and insisting that gun owners compromise. Well, a compromise was proposed were background check were offered, for national concealed carry. That is a pretty generous off by the pro-gun side, but the anti-gun groups outright refused to even discuss a compromise.
One thing that anti-gun advocates need to realize is that it's a matter of principle, at least for me. Everyone has the right to own a gun for whatever reason they want. There's nothing wrong with owning something. It's the principle that you should never need to ask permission from another person to possess an item. That's not something you compromise on.

It's like your neighbor saying you must ask their permission to have a kitchen knife (or whatever...fill in the blank). First of all, who are they to tell you what you can have in your house, and second, you haven't done anything wrong by owning it in the first place.

Now if you decide to use it to harm or threaten others, that's very different, but simply owning the thing is your right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or