U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 12:57 AM

9,919 posts, read 6,235,788 times

Advertisements

"an anti-government, anti-Islam, pro-NRA, rabidly anti-Planned Parenthood kinda guy, who posted that it would be “Freaking Awesome” if hateful Ann Coulter was named head of Homeland Security."

I'm not even going to click on the link, the author is being a bully. Folks who make broad generalizations are narrow minded and boring. I'm anti big government, but I'm not anti small government. I'm not anti Islam, but I am anti radical Islam. I'm a life time member of the NRA. I've used Planned Parenthood. I think Coulter is a media *****. We aren't all alike, the author is just a flame thrower.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:06 AM

26,302 posts, read 12,734,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
victim-blaming, how novel.
LOL. Theres something about this....in my mind I just hear this refined sarcastic "How novel".....

Like the rich guy on Gilligans island! Howell?

Old 12-06-2015, 01:12 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,095,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"an anti-government, anti-Islam, pro-NRA, rabidly anti-Planned Parenthood kinda guy, who posted that it would be “Freaking Awesome” if hateful Ann Coulter was named head of Homeland Security."

I'm not even going to click on the link, the author is being a bully. Folks who make broad generalizations are narrow minded and boring. I'm anti big government, but I'm not anti small government. I'm not anti Islam, but I am anti radical Islam. I'm a life time member of the NRA. I've used Planned Parenthood. I think Coulter is a media *****. We aren't all alike, the author is just a flame thrower.
Great, elan. Had you chosen to click that link and read it carefully, you strike me as the kind of person who would catch subtlety of the author's point. She wasn't blaming or demonizing the victim. She was very careful not to morally equate writing hateful, bigoted things on the internet with killing people in a mass shooting. She was just making sure the unvarnished truth was told. Not every truth needs to be spoken and sometimes it's bad manners to tell it. (Why tell a nice girl she's ugly even if it is true?) But in this case, her truth-telling serves as an important reminder of what the real enemy is.

Because of incidents like these decent, kind Muslims are going to be demonized. It's important to separate the good ones from the bad ones right now.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:49 AM

2,265 posts, read 2,765,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This column in the New York Daily News is a window on the mindset of a certain demographic. Convert to Christianity from Judaism? Admire Ann Coulter? ...the NRA? Then you are pretty much as bad as an ISIS mass killer in this writer's eyes.

San Bernardino bloodbath born of bigots - NY Daily News
This article is truly disgusting. The writer of this article is truly nasty.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:56 AM

94 posts, read 58,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Great, elan. Had you chosen to click that link and read it carefully, you strike me as the kind of person who would catch subtlety of the author's point. She wasn't blaming or demonizing the victim. She was very careful not to morally equate writing hateful, bigoted things on the internet with killing people in a mass shooting. She was just making sure the unvarnished truth was told. Not every truth needs to be spoken and sometimes it's bad manners to tell it. (Why tell a nice girl she's ugly even if it is true?) But in this case, her truth-telling serves as an important reminder of what the real enemy is.

Because of incidents like these decent, kind Muslims are going to be demonized. It's important to separate the good ones from the bad ones right now.
And had you actually comprehended the garbage from this article, you would have seen how idiotic it is. The first paragraph claims 13 innocent people were killed during the shooting, implying this man was not innocent. That should tell you everything behind her motive for writing it. Only a moron would claim someone isn't innocent just because of their political views, and only a moron would try and defend this article. You're embarrassing yourself.

The murdered man's political views aren't really relevant. He wasn't out to murder innocent people like the chicken **** coward and his chicken **** wife. This idiotic woman is trying to downplay an innocent man being killed because she doesn't like his world view. She's a disgrace, and you're a disgrace for defending it.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:08 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,255,819 times
Quote:
There is nothing in the paragraph you quote that I disagree with. The writer is correct in drawing the parallel he does. The enemy is not any particular religion. It's religious extremism. It so happens the extremists are most potently concentrated in Islam at this particular point in history. That doesn't mean other religions are immune from the disease.

I like and respect religious people who are moderate in their views and tolerant toward those of other faiths. I abhor and oppose those who think their path should be everyone's path, be they Christian, Muslim, Atheist or Jew. (F you too Buddhists who think everyone who doesn't mediate should get with the program or be killed.)

Okay, like I said countless times before in both my personal life and on this forum:

Believe whatever you want until you start killing people.

One person was an occasional ass and the other two were murderers. There is no equivalency here. None at all. I suggest you get a CAT scan if you honestly think there is because there is likely a large tumor turning your brain into custard.

Quote:
No, the reason to compare the two is to point out that extremism is the real enemy. That's the truth. Thinking of this as an Islamic problem doesn't get to the root -- this is an extremist problem. The extremists de jure are Muslim. A few decades ago they were atheists (communists and fascists). Christian extremists haven't done too much damage lately, but they are a latent menace. That guy did shoot up the Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado a few weeks ago, right?
Well, Muslims in the US have sorta punched above their weight when it comes to terrorism. I don't hate Muslims, but when 1% of the population is responsible for a third or so of the terrorist attacks; it is not pure bigotry to point it out.

And the guy who shot up the Planned Parenthood was a lone nut and for making up about 40% or so of the population (most of those being explicitly Christian); Pro-Lifers are sure slackers when it comes to terrorism. I mean we get maybe the odd abortion clinic bombing or murder of an abortion doctor every couple of years.

Don't get me wrong; if I was an abortion doctor, I would have an unlisted phone number, but it is very rare for anti-abortion violence to occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Liberals define anyone that doesn't agree with them as "hate-filled" and "bigoted".... No surprise there.

This man didn't fall in line with their cult-like mentality, and for that reason, he isn't an "innocent" as implied by the author.

Show me a Liberal, and I'll show you one of the most hate filled people to have ever walked the planet.
Over the past couple of years I have been nothing but flabbergasted by the Left.

They are getting more crazy, stupid, and radical by the day.

They have gone so far to the Left that I am starting to find my views closer to conservatives than I do with liberals. And I have barely moved to the Right at all and only on foreign policy. That is how disconnected from reality they have gone.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglecity8819 View Post
And had you actually comprehended the garbage from this article, you would have seen how idiotic it is. The first paragraph claims 13 innocent people were killed during the shooting, implying this man was not innocent. That should tell you everything behind her motive for writing it. Only a moron would claim someone isn't innocent just because of their political views, and only a moron would try and defend this article. You're embarrassing yourself.

The murdered man's political views aren't really relevant. He wasn't out to murder innocent people like the chicken **** coward and his chicken **** wife. This idiotic woman is trying to downplay an innocent man being killed because she doesn't like his world view. She's a disgrace, and you're a disgrace for defending it.
I'll be honest. I didn't see that implication until you pointed it out. Of course this guy was innocent. I think using the words "hate-filled" and "bigoted" to describe him are accurate, but Stasi goes too far though by suggesting that he deserved what he got.

I still stand by my overall stance that we should be focused on the real enemy here -- extremism in all of its forms.

I know that to many people two people I'm related to by marriage -- Moroccan-born American immigrants -- look like the enemy. They're not. They hate ISIS just as much as every other sane person does. I hate that some are going too far and thinking their religion or their ethnicity is the enemy. They're not.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Well, Muslims in the US have sorta punched above their weight when it comes to terrorism. I don't hate Muslims, but when 1% of the population is responsible for a third or so of the terrorist attacks; it is not pure bigotry to point it out.
I agree. I said as much in my posts. Currently, extremism is more highly concentrated in Islam than other creeds, but it's not always been that way in the past and it won't always be that way in the future. As a liberal and person on the left, I value reason, tolerance and freedom above all.

Christian extremists (who are admittedly far fewer in number than Islamic ones at the moment) are just as much my enemy as Islamic ones. And moderate Muslims who don't insist their truth is absolute are just as much my friends and allies as moderate Christians.

As you said, believe whatever you want until you start killing people. I'll add this though -- if you believe an entire group of people are a menace and should be eliminated and you say so publicly and loudly as often as you can, I'm going to keep my eye on you and my trigger finger at the ready should it be necessary to take action. That goes for Muslims who direct their hate at all non Muslims and for non Muslims who direct their hate at all Muslims.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:33 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,255,819 times
Quote:
I'll be honest. I didn't see that implication until you pointed it out. Of course this guy was innocent. I think using the words "hate-filled" and "bigoted" to describe him are accurate, but Stasi goes too far though by suggesting that he deserved what he got.
She purposely and repeatedly compares the two throughout her hit-piece and the terms she is using is purposely trying to make it sound like the two are equal.

Quote:
I still stand by my overall stance that we should be focused on the real enemy here -- extremism in all of its forms.
But which one regularly kills people. And who is to say the guy was even particularly extreme? He said that it would be "awesome" if Ann Coulter was designated head of the DHS. It is entirely possible that was just s--t posting.

Quote:
I know that to many people two people I'm related to by marriage -- Moroccan-born American immigrants -- look like the enemy. They're not. They hate ISIS just as much as every other sane person does. I hate that some are going too far and thinking their religion or their ethnicity is the enemy. They're not.
I know some people go too far and go on tirades against all Muslims. Even though I think Islam is the worst major religion on the planet; I don't go far enough to actually hate Muslims.

As a matter of fact; a few months ago I even attacked someone for their "all Muslims are evil" stance and even went into detail about a Muslim coworker who helped me out during a very hard time in my life:

America To Take on Tens of Thousands of Syrians (Refugees)

Old 12-06-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I know some people go too far and go on tirades against all Muslims. Even though I think Islam is the worst major religion on the planet; I don't go far enough to actually hate Muslims.
I agree with you that Islam is the worst major religion on the planet at the moment. It hasn't always been the case. If this were 1955, I'd say the worst major "religion" on the planet at the moment was Communism. If this were 1942, I'd say the worst major religion on the planet was Nazism. If this were 1042, you guessed it, I'd say it was Christianity. (Islam was actually pretty enlightened and enjoying a humanist trend at that time.)

I appreciate that you recognize and remind people that not all Muslims are bad. The only two Muslims I know personally -- my brother in law and my niece's fiance - are decent people. I'd hate to see someone mistake them for terrorists and harm them in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or