Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 03:35 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
'Happy Holidays' came about because some overly sensitive, politically correct dingbat decided that 'Merry Christmas' was somehow offensive or not inclusive enough so it should be changed.
Here's Bing Crosby singing the politically correct song "Happy Holiday". In 1942.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzhd0SU8k4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 03:45 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,458 times
The term Politically Correct itself is now considered politically incorrect because people with sense realize how ridiculous most of it is and use it as a demeaning term or in a humorous way to poke fun at PC.

Of course no one should use racial slurs, of course people should treat other with respect, but some things are just unbelievable. The good news is that the folks who institute "Politically Correctness" have no real authority so people can choose to be PC or not.

One rule we keep forgetting here, I have the right to offend you and you have the right to be offended. Now, this certainly doesn't mean I am going to go around and intentionally offend people because I am not an jerk, but I am going to speak my mind and share my opinion in a respectable manor. The less of that we do, the less we truly know about those around us and the less meaningful a relationship we can have with one another. Some of my best friends have totally different viewpoints than I do, and we have some awesome conversations because we dont really care about being PC. If we did, we would be acquaintances rather than friends.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:49 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Would would this be news?

Just because they preach to others how to behave, doesn't mean they intend to follow same rules.

Here's a news flash - San Franciscans like to tell people what to do, knowing a better way is kind of our thing. But when we preach to you guys how to behave, we have absolutely no expectation that you'd be dumb enough to follow. God knows, we don't. That's why we are building so many apps - we are so tired of being ignored that we are going to impose our will via technology.

Still, that doesn't answer the question - who is giving the OP grieve? San Franciscans who travel to his hometown just to chastise him? His hometown people who have been brainwashed? Who??

Old 12-06-2015, 03:56 PM

This PC mentality is why every kid gets a trophy, we shouldn't criticize those who do something, don't want to hurt anyones feelings, blah, blah, blah.

A great example of this is how everyone today is ripping Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney for chewing out our punter last night after he decided to try make up his own play and run the ball on 4th instead of the play Dabo called, it ended up leading to a UNC touchdown too. Dabo cussed him up and down and should have because that was a freaking bonehead play and this is football, thats how the sport is. I am amazed how many people are ripping into him for this because "hes just a student athlete." My guess is that folks think Dabo should have just said "ah, thats okay, you tried to run the play I called and just didn't."

Ridiculous!

Old 12-06-2015, 03:56 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
Our neurotransmitters as humans are getting more and more sensitive to stimuli and especially varying kinds of stimuli. There's a very basic psychobiological/neurologica explanation to it all, we'll hear all about it in 5-10 years, trust.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:02 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
LOL @ bringing up trophies. I am an avid video gamer.. Back from old VERY old school stuff to modern day stuff. Now you LITERALLY get trophies just for hitting start, just for sitting through a scene, and just for being... well.. YOU! It's in almost every video game now, built into the psychic feedback loop. I am not talking out of my ass, I spent half of today playing video games on PS4 and PS3... I think I got like 100 gold trophies today even though I suck at every game and completed basically NOTHING. This is pretty ingrained.. Think about how thinks get ingrained into peoples' minds every 20-30-40-50 years that are then unchangeable. This is one. It's best to sit back and relax and see it unfold. I am however so jealous of people getting to retire right now. Me, along with a sizeable number of other people in the Gen X demographic (except not enough people for mass consumer society and pop culture to care about) are essentially screwed, and in purgatory listening to the constant back and forth wailing of the two most annoying generations in the history of Earth (booms and millennials. I wish they would just **** for a second and either let others get a word in edgewise or at least listen to how terrible they both sound). We literally have a psychic civil war going on in this country right now. A psychic civil war. It's makes me so uncomfortable.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:16 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Still, that doesn't answer the question - who is giving the OP grieve? Who??
Since you asked, sounds like you are.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:18 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Still, that doesn't answer the question - who is giving the OP grieve? Who??
Since you asked, sounds like you are.

BTW we were not talking about everyone in San Fransisco. Just the PC police that you said lived there.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
LOL @ bringing up trophies. I am an avid video gamer.. Back from old VERY old school stuff to modern day stuff. Now you LITERALLY get trophies just for hitting start, just for sitting through a scene, and just for being... well.. YOU! It's in almost every video game now, built into the psychic feedback loop. I am not talking out of my ass, I spent half of today playing video games on PS4 and PS3... I think I got like 100 gold trophies today even though I suck at every game and completed basically NOTHING. This is pretty ingrained.. Think about how thinks get ingrained into peoples' minds every 20-30-40-50 years that are then unchangeable. This is one. It's best to sit back and relax and see it unfold. I am however so jealous of people getting to retire right now. Me, along with a sizeable number of other people in the Gen X demographic (except not enough people for mass consumer society and pop culture to care about) are essentially screwed, and in purgatory listening to the constant back and forth wailing of the two most annoying generations in the history of Earth (booms and millennials. I wish they would just **** for a second and either let others get a word in edgewise or at least listen to how terrible they both sound). We literally have a psychic civil war going on in this country right now. A psychic civil war. It's makes me so uncomfortable.
Im a millennial, that was so offensive to me LOL, just kidding!

No but you're right, most people my age just have such a skewed view on what the real world is and when it doesn't go their way, they get mad or "its not their fault." Of course not all, I mean I think our age group gets stereotyped unfairly a lot and we do have a lot to offer at a younger age but most of us have been told "its okay, your the best" when sometimes, we weren't.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:29 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Who told you that they were offended by your Christmas tree? What's wrong with waiting for evidence before passing judgement on a crime?

Sometimes people get a little over sensitive about some things -- but overall what you label "political correctness" is merely an effort to respect people.
The OP has it right. There was criticism that I likely heard on NPR of the thousands of trees that were being cut down for holiday decorations.
Political correctness is nonsense. It merely drives racism under the surface. You can't force people to respect each other. What you can do is to convince them that we are all in the same boat when it comes to gathering the crumbs that the rich let most of us have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies