Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 11:53 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,350,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's why Margaret Sanger founded Planned Parenthood. In her opinion, too many people who couldn't support their own children and weren't contributing to society were reproducing in much too high numbers. She was a proponent of eugenics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P_HKQGq730
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 11:55 AM

756 posts, read 422,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I see lots of people with the latest iphones, and sneakers. They all worked with me at Intel. Poor folks? Not so much. I'm sure there are some, and you will trot them out and then act like they represent all of them. Congratulations.

$100 sneakers though? I dont know ANYONE with them except maybe my wife and her toe shoes....do those count? And my shoes as well, but thats because I believe that good shoes are worth the money. But of course if I was poor you would hold that up as a poor use of money

But....theres a hint of truth too, managing and saving money is something we do not teach people well enough at all. I suspect we could agree on teaching more of this in high school for example.

The best misdirection, like lies, contain a hint of truth. And you are right, the culture is a issue. But its a distraction.
It isn't a misdirection, it was a misdirection you just attempted to paint that the 99% are struggling to get by because of the 1%. It is simply not true.

...and seriously, you don't think there is market for $100 sneakers? More like $300 now, I guess I'm a bit behind the times

Air Jordans | Flight Club

Old 12-08-2015, 11:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I see lots of people with the latest iphones, and sneakers. They all worked with me at Intel. Poor folks? Not so much. I'm sure there are some, and you will trot them out and then act like they represent all of them. Congratulations.

$100 sneakers though? I dont know ANYONE with them except maybe my wife and her toe shoes....do those count? And my shoes as well, but thats because I believe that good shoes are worth the money. But of course if I was poor you would hold that up as a poor use of money

But....theres a hint of truth too, managing and saving money is something we do not teach people well enough at all. I suspect we could agree on teaching more of this in high school for example.

The best misdirection, like lies, contain a hint of truth. And you are right, the culture is a issue. But its a distraction.
We do. Financial literacy is integrated into K-12 Math classes (state dependent curriculum) and also classes in HS.

In Texas 6th graders have to learn and understand credit reports and how to estimate lifetime earnings.
IMHO that's too deep for 11 and 12 year olds but TPTB in the Ivory Tower decided that's best for them.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:59 AM

88,684 posts, read 44,444,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Both Bill Gates and Warren Buffett believe that taxes on the wealthy should be much higher.
So.... why don't they pay higher taxes? Why do both take steps to avoid taxation?

Bill Gates: "Foundation." Much like the Clintons.

Warren Buffett: Draws a very small salary. Corporate inversions to avoid US taxes.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So.... why don't they pay higher taxes? Why do both take steps to avoid taxation?

Bill Gates: "Foundation." Much like the Clintons.

Warren Buffett: Draws a very small salary. Corporate inversions to avoid US taxes.
I read Bill Gates gets his living money from dividend from his MS shares.
And those MS dividends are qualified dividends no less.

Here's a chart..qualified dividends is the way to go.
And nothing stopping Joe Mainstreet from investing the same as the billionaires/milliionaires do.

http://www.dividend.com/dividend-edu...off-dividends/

Old 12-08-2015, 12:07 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,373,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Liberals keep parroting meaningless statistics like "The X richest people own Y% of the wealth". My question is, why do you consider this an issue?

Are you saying that you're poor because someone else is rich? Did you ever consider that all the extra wealth they have is wealth that was produced by them or their company? Them generating wealth doesn't somehow make you less wealthy.

Maybe it's time to get over your envy of others' success. It sounds like babies crying about how other children have more toys than them.
These are the same right-wingers who will turn around and blame Obama for "stagnant wages", even though it was GOP policies that led to them.

Mitt Romney paid a lower effective tax rate in 2011 than a waitress earning $2.13 an hour. That's isn't unacceptable, it's criminal. The super wealthy have rigged the system against the average American and in favor of themselves, thanks to FAILED Republican policies, and backed by low information conservative voters who comically think these vulture capiltalists and banksters earned their money through "hard work".

What gullible sheep they are.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:07 PM

88,684 posts, read 44,444,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Not really - you are looking at it wrong. History shows us and most economists agree that having such large amounts of wealth in the hands of so few individuals is unhealthy for the country and the economy as a whole
Well, all you have to do is convince those who earn less than top incomes that they shouldn't expect to be able to buy the electronic gizmos and conveniences that the top earners can easily afford. It's all a matter of living within one's means. Duh. How is that a problem? /SMH

Old 12-08-2015, 12:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,350,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true at all. Your example is just one scenario. There are millions of estates that include very little untaxed assets. Here is an example;

Person "A" works hard for 50 years then dies. He saved his own money in CDs and savings accounts. He paid income taxes on the gains every year. His children will now be forced to pay death taxes on the same money he saved and paid taxes on.

1: don't tax estates, tax inheritances

2: eliminate basis step-up at death

a. do not tax recipient (heir) on the estate's tax basis (i,e, original basis is exempt)

b. tax recipient on the inheritance's capital gain, eithout interest, ONCE CASH IS REALIZED

Old 12-08-2015, 12:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,887,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
I can't in earnest support wealth distribution. When we immigrated here I was 16 and we had nothing. My mom (26 year teacher) was cleaning houses. My dad worked in a store for 15 hours a day. I washed dishes / worked as a busboy.

Today I make a healthy 6 figures but have accrued some student debt to finance my master's degree. Nobody distributed jack **** to me. My mother learned English as fast as she could to assimilate and is now a teacher here. My father is a successful salesman. Neither of them are very wealthy or earning a ton of money but they do ok. It is my job to help them out now that I'm successful but they sacrificed a ton for me. After years of hard work why in the hell would I go out of my way to support people who won't support themselves? Elderly need help, so do disabled folks, and I support taking measures taking money out of my pocket to help them out. The rest need to get their ass to work.

My 2 cents.
You're nothing special. My parents came here from the Caribbean and worked their butts off. They spoke English but assimilation was impossible. They lived in the slums because it didn't matter how wealthy a black family was in 1950, you lived in the slums. You don't say what year your fairy story comes from so it is meaningless. My parents sent money back home and saved everything else. Passbook savings rates were 13%. A 30 year CD was 20%. They are millionaires today in their 90's, not many black people live to 85 let alone get over 90. They are millionaires even though neither of them ever made more than $30K/yr. I have inherited every good quality of self-discipline, intelligence and work ethic that they possess and I have earned a lot more than $30K/yr but not even close to six figures. My wife and I applied for the same job. We have similar skill-sets. I have a lot more work history because she is disabled (she doesn't need help, just a job, like you... or me). I was offered $35K/yr and she was offered $90K/yr. I am not likely to become a millionaire. Since we are having a discussion in 2015 and not in 1915, shouldn't our comments reflect realities on the ground today, and not once ago? Is that really too much to ask?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
These are the same right-wingers who will turn around and blame Obama for "stagnant wages", even though it was GOP policies that led to them.

Mitt Romney paid a lower effective tax rate in 2011 than a waitress earning $2.13 an hour. That's isn't unacceptable, it's criminal. The super wealthy have rigged the system against the average American and in favor of themselves, thanks to FAILED Republican policies, and backed by low information conservative voters who comically think these vulture capiltalists and banksters earned their money through "hard work".

What gullible sheep they are.
So did Warren Buffet.

The key here is taxable income vs other sources of income.

Passive income is the way to go and it's not limited to the rich.
That's how they got rich to begin with.

No one has proposed changing the tax rules so you can't just constantly blame the Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies