Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:43 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,983,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yup! A very reasonable and sane method of doing this on a entry basis. But I suspect they will find that the lottery method is going to give rise to a massive demand for it to be made for all.

The conservatives are right to be concerned about people wanting free stuff. in a way. But this sort of thing makes sense. The critical thing is to keep the level low enough to foster desire for better, while high enough to cover the basics of living. And to not means test it in any way.
Yes , I agree. Seems unfair to only let some citizens get it and others do not based off a lottery....

This could lead to some political heads butting on the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:44 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They don't have multiple wars and a slew of countries to pay off with bribes so they can do this. We would rather go to war.
They also don't have a military that is used as the world's police force. The USA is stupid for allowing this abuse.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:49 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Again, why? We have ways of dealing with them now, none of that will change. We have no need to control what they do as long as they dont harm others. And if they do that we have a very robust set of laws to deal with them. If anything this might give more of them a chance.
Why? I've answered that more than once. Last time. Because we will.

Quote:
They would actually have money for rehab, and once a month they could decide "rehab or slow death?" Kind of different from today. so I am not sure what your objection is really. What am I missing? Because to be honest generally you've been good about having a point I can understand even if I disagree. So maybe its me missing it.
What do they do for the other three weeks? There are two things wrong here. One is we would never leave it at this.....we will never let the addicts just roam the street and die and two, and this is likely the big one......Finland is paying for this....something we refuse to do concerning much of anything which is why we are 20 trillion in debt.

If we are going to go in debt, I would prefer this over war and bribes but we will not stop doing that. In large part because those who argue for things like this will not demand it.

(edit) we will demand it for illegals also.....as you note NOT something Finland is doing. They actually have a immigration policy.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:51 PM

188 posts, read 192,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Those struggling to make ends meet in Finland could soon get some extra cash, courtesy of the government. The Nordic nation is considering plans to hand over 800 tax-free euros to citizens every month. And it’s not just for citizens who are strapped for cash—every resident would receive a monthly payment equivalent to about $870.

The monthly €800 payment would replace all other welfare, social security programs, unemployment payments, The Independent reports. The Finnish government plans to begin testing the program in 2017.

Finland Plans to Give Every Citizen, Rich or Poor, $870 a Month
That's awesome thanks for the news.

I bet those people are gonna benefit a lot from that.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:55 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:

What do they do for the other three weeks? There are two things wrong here. One is we would never leave it at this.....we will never let the addicts just roam the street and die and two, and this is likely the big one......Finland is paying for this....something we refuse to do concerning much of anything which is why we are 20 trillion in debt.

If we are going to go in debt, I would prefer this over war and bribes but we will not stop doing that. In large part because those who argue for things like this will not demand it.

(edit) we will demand it for illegals also.....as you note NOT something Finland is doing. They actually have a immigration policy.
We will demand it for illegals? Sure we will. uh huh.

Seriously, your objections are sounding kinda extreme. Stick with the argument that we will for some reason give addicts more.....which is nonsense. On the plus side at least you prefer this over war and bribes-something I agree with you on.

Maybe we will need our own version of Chavez and martial law etc etc to make this work for us again, but I would prefer not. And some of the rich folks are recognizing the issue as well, which gives me some hope.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:56 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdude39 View Post
That's awesome thanks for the news.

I bet those people are gonna benefit a lot from that.
Its not too dissimilar to the mincome experiment in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINCOME

Old 12-07-2015, 01:00 PM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
oh how about all the foreign aid we give to other countries that hate us?

Quote:
They don't have multiple wars and a slew of countries to pay off with bribes so they can do this. We would rather go to war.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:

Um, we already allow addicts to roam the streets and die.

Not sure where you live, but if you are ever in Philly take a trip down Kensington Avenue. I know Baltimore has a similar area where illegal drugs are allowed and tolerated.

But it's not just in the worst neighborhoods. Heroin has made a humongous comeback and now the #1 cause of accidental death in the nation is overdose by legal drug, surpassing car accidents and gun deaths for the first time in history. It is a legal drug overdose epidemic that is contributing to the illegal heroin epidemic (since most of the legal drugs people are OD-ing on are opiates).

The makers of oxycontin already paid nearly a $Billion fine (nothing compared to profits made) for lying to Doctors about the addictive nature of the drug, but the problem rages on. Whoopsie!

Old 12-07-2015, 01:03 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Those struggling to make ends meet in Finland could soon get some extra cash, courtesy of the government. The Nordic nation is considering plans to hand over 800 tax-free euros to citizens every month. And it’s not just for citizens who are strapped for cash—every resident would receive a monthly payment equivalent to about $870.
This is so obvious. It won't satisfy the poor. They will be demanding bigger shares by taking shares away from those better off than they are.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:30 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
I guess they could have the recipients work for the money. naaaahh don't want to help anyone learn a trade or better themselves right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies