Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only been to Ireland where US citizens don't need a Visa.

I would have thought after 9/11 that the US would definitely require visas from any ME country or any country experiencing lots of terrorism.
That isn't so, it would require Congress to be concerned about that and in the past 14 years it hasn't been much of a concern. Though most can still visit the US with just a passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wasn't referring to your title, I was referring to the OP, which I highlighted. Though it is also a Yahoo News story, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who were wrong. Though based on your second link, it sounds like it is mostly Syria and Iraq with any other country that has had significant terrorist activity (though that is a bit vague in description.)
Bill has not been filed so these stories are the best we have until it is filed.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:31 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
I have to agree this seems a reasonable bill as well. It's narrow in scope, doesn't abridge the rights of American citizens, and doesn't create an impossible-to-surmount hurdle for those non-citizens who DO have legitimate reasons to go to those places and who want to come to the US for peaceful reasons. I'm not seeing a lot of downsides to it, and it might just help.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:33 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Why is visa control supported by Republicans as a way to fight ISIS, but gun control is seen as the antithesis of fighting gun crime?

Old 12-07-2015, 02:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I didn't even realize we let people come here with no visas.
But hey..every little bit helps.
The Visa Waiver applies to the countries below. Iraq and Syria are not on it and their citizens have always needed a Visa.
The new rule applies to anyone who has visited Syria or Iraq in the last 5 years including citizens of Canada and the countries below.
It would not have stopped the San Bernadino terrorists.

Visa Waiver Program - U.S. Department of State.

Overview
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of participating countries* to travel to the United States without a visa for stays of 90 days or less

Citizen or National of a VWP Designated Country *
You must be a citizen or national of VWP-participant country*. The following 38 countries* are Visa Waiver Program participants:

*Andorra *Australia *Austria
*Belgium *Brunei
*Chile *Czech Republic
*Denmark *Estonia
*Finland *France
*Germany *Greece
*Hungary
*Iceland *Ireland *Italy
*Japan
*Latvia *Liechtenstein *Lithuania *Luxembourg
*Malta *Monaco
*Netherlands *New Zealand *Norway
*Portugal
*San Marino *Singapore *Slovakia *Slovenia
*South Korea *Spain *Sweden *Switzerland
*Taiwan *United Kingdom

Last edited by katzpaw; 12-07-2015 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 02:43 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
I dunno...its starting to look like a thread fail.

Political? Nope...its bipartisan
Controversy? Nope...everyone seems to be on board.

Still, its interesting, so thread win in my opinion

Old 12-07-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I don't get it either. The Visa Waiver program has never included Iraq or Syria
You're right, you DON'T get it. The bill is about requiring a citizen from a country whose citizens can enter the US under the Visa waver program (like the UK or France) to get a visa for entry into the US if they've visited Iraq or Syria in the last 5 years. It's not about keeping Iraqis or Syrians out; it's about keeping out a citizen of France or Japan who visited those places and become radicalized.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The Visa Waiver applies to countries below. Iraq and Syria are not on it and their citizens have always needed a Visa.
The new rule applies to anyone who has visited Syria or Iraq in the last 5 years including citizens of Canada and the countries below.
It would not have stopped the San Bernadino terrorists.
That makes sense, I don't see why anyone would really disagree with this.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Why is visa control supported by Republicans as a way to fight ISIS, but gun control is seen as the antithesis of fighting gun crime?
Well, for a start non-citizens have no automatic right to enter the US, while US citizens do have a constitutionally-protected right to own guns. Second, since a lot of these ISIS-inspired radicals do have recent trips to "iffy" places like Iraq, Syria, and northern Pakistan stamped in their passports, it does make sense to take a closer look at someone who's traveled there to see just why they went. Conversely, there's little reason to think yet more gun control laws are going to do doodly-squat to stop terrorists (or other mass kilers, for that matter), so why bother with them?

Old 12-07-2015, 03:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I dunno...its starting to look like a thread fail.

Political? Nope...its bipartisan
Controversy? Nope...everyone seems to be on board.

Still, its interesting, so thread win in my opinion
Once in a great moon we do all agree on something !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies