Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Israelis won't be happy about this bill.

70 million tourists come to US annually, not 20 million.
20/70 million annual visitors enter through the Visa Waiver Program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't know if it's still the case but I was in Morocco about 20 years ago and on entry, instead of stamping your passport they put a stamped piece of paper in your passport. The explanation I was given was that if I ever wanted to travel to Israel, not having a stamp from an Arabic country in my passport would be a good thing. I believe Cuba followed a similar policy with Americans who traveled there via Canada or Mexico.
Cuba would ask if you wanted a stamp.

Cruise ships that visit ports in the Middle East design their intineraries to minimize immigration issues. Israel is almost always the first port of call or sometimes not included in the intinerary.

Digital passports, when scanned and data shared, tend to make the stamp obsolete.

Not all countries participate in digital passports or reliably share data.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's just an argument for adding Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Egypt, Pakistan, etc. to the bill, not an argument against the idea itself. (Saudi might be tough, though, because of the hajj, which is going to generate a lot more legitimate traffic to that problematic country than most of the others get.)

Will it stop more terrorist attacks? Maybe, maybe not. (I don't expect it will make a huge difference, but it might make a small bit of difference.) But it doesn't infringe on anyone's rights, so at worst it's just ineffective, not ineffective AND unconstitutional (like so many of the other proposals currently floating around are).
The people expect government to do something to increase the perception of safety.

While not opposed, I view the bill as tossing the masses a bone.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:16 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,140,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's just an argument for adding Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Egypt, Pakistan, etc. to the bill, not an argument against the idea itself. (Saudi might be tough, though, because of the hajj, which is going to generate a lot more legitimate traffic to that problematic country than most of the others get.)
Will it stop more terrorist attacks? Maybe, maybe not. (I don't expect it will make a huge difference, but it might make a small bit of difference.) But it doesn't infringe on anyone's rights, so at worst it's just ineffective, not ineffective AND unconstitutional (like so many of the other proposals currently floating around are).[/quote]

I see it as at best ineffective if Saudi Arabia, the known source of the 9/11 attackers as well as funders of radical anti-western schools, cannot be added to the list. At worst it's just another show by Congress that accomplishes nothing.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yup, I remember that as well. Thing to remember is that you are tracked in a ton of ways. If your passport is missing the stamp, that doesn't mean that the US is unaware of where you have been.
It also does not mean the US is always aware of where you have been.

Not all countries buy into digital passports and / or agree to share data.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
This makes too much sense. No American needs to be going to the Middle East.
Israel continues to report record number of inbound foreign visitors, each year. A majority are US people.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,253,512 times
All they need to do is fly to Turkey and then go wherever they please.
Turkey is our ally, member of NATO so coming and going from Turkey should be ok

Old 12-08-2015, 01:39 PM

699 posts, read 607,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All they need to do is fly to Turkey and then go wherever they please.
Turkey is our ally, member of NATO so coming and going from Turkey should be ok
Turkey actually has visa restrictions on American citizens. When I fly into Turkey, I use another one of my 3 passports to enter besides my American.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,253,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Turkey actually has visa restrictions on American citizens. When I fly into Turkey, I use another one of my 3 passports to enter besides my American.
ROFL..so much for being our "ally" right ?

Old 12-08-2015, 03:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,979,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yup, I remember that as well. Thing to remember is that you are tracked in a ton of ways. If your passport is missing the stamp, that doesn't mean that the US is unaware of where you have been.
This really isn't about U.S. citizens so much. How do they know where a person from Afghanistan has been the last 5 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies