Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 03:01 PM

13,278 posts, read 7,807,148 times

Advertisements

"Upon hearing that doctors had given up hope, a drunk and armed George Sr. marched towards the Tomball Regional Medical Center in Houston, Texas, determined to make sure his son was given more time to make a recovery, even if it meant he would spend time in jail."

https://www.rt.com/usa/327077-family...ospital-texas/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 03:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,103,820 times
Well, feel free to buy yourself an island - but to the best of my knowledge, all community of human beings have rules, even in primitive tribes. And nowhere did God give you the right to have guns, nor most of the other rights you imply.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:05 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,435,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccadilly Lily View Post
Every strawman is a strawman.

It is sad that you seem to place beverage companies (breweries, I suppose) on the same footing as those that grown the completely un-necessary luxury we eat, i.e. food. Can you think of a more-important use for water other than food (and don't mention drinking, because that consumes an infinitesimal percentage of water used.
BTW, I spend a lot of time in California, and am aware, acutely aware, of the drought.
No not every strawman is a strawman, it's just a strawman when it's something you don't agree with. and why would you suppose i'm talking about brewing companies? I'm actually talking about companies who bottle water for sale, and I'm aware that growing food is a necessary thing but if there is a drought like with what is going on in california than perhaps they need to make do with little otherwise their won't be any water for anyone including the farms.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:39 PM

6,003 posts, read 3,706,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
There are always other providers, they may not be convenient, but you do not have the right to convenience.

I happen to live in a rural area, there are two stores within 150 miles of me. How much do you want to bet that people who go there are on their best behavior when they go? How much do you want to bet if someone came in laying down the "law" demanding service they'd get the bums rush and wind up getting everything they need from Fairbanks, and never being able to pick up emergency supplies at the local stores?

Good rule of thumb is to live by Wheatons Law.
And you do not have the right to discriminate. If someone went into one of these stores causing trouble and therefore got banned I'd agree with you. But to discriminate on the basis of any of the protected classes is illegal and these store owners would find themselves in the middle of a lawsuit.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
You don't even know what a strawman is, do you.

A strawman is a presentation of a false position supposedly held by your opponent, which is then easy to defeat in debate.

You asserted that people want no laws whatsoever, which nobody asserts. You made that up yourself in the CLASSIC Strawman manner. Sign of a very weak and uninformed debator. Tactic of last resort, so to speak.
Hopefully, you can do better.
I know quite well what a "strawman" argument is. You declared the post I was referring to as a "strawman" because it was something you had no argument against so you labeled it as such. Common tactic of those who have weak arguments. Instead of labeling every post "strawman" as you've been doing here, why don't you try refuting the claims if you can.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:36 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,885,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Well, feel free to buy yourself an island - but to the best of my knowledge, all community of human beings have rules, even in primitive tribes. And nowhere did God give you the right to have guns, nor most of the other rights you imply.
I want the majority of the laws enforced upon me to legislated at the local level. That way there is recourse if I and/or others don't like them. The US was never designed to be micromanaged from a single location.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:55 PM

188 posts, read 102,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I know quite well what a "strawman" argument is. You declared the post I was referring to as a "strawman" because it was something you had no argument against so you labeled it as such. Common tactic of those who have weak arguments. Instead of labeling every post "strawman" as you've been doing here, why don't you try refuting the claims if you can.
You're lost - completely lost. One doesn't agree or disagree with a strawman - one points them out as the lie they are. They are a mischaracterization of your opponents position.

Last edited by Piccadilly Lily; 12-25-2015 at 07:20 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
No not every strawman is a strawman, it's just a strawman when it's something you don't agree with. and why would you suppose i'm talking about brewing companies? I'm actually talking about companies who bottle water for sale, and I'm aware that growing food is a necessary thing but if there is a drought like with what is going on in california than perhaps they need to make do with little otherwise their won't be any water for anyone including the farms.
Now you're not making sense. A Strawman is always a strawman because it is a lie about your opponents position.

So you object to people using water even to drink???? Amazing - absolutely amazing. Should we save it for the non-humans only?

Oh, yes, full moon last night - I got it!!!!!

Old 12-25-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Is that what we are talking about - mere "rules". Here's another Strawman.

NO, we are not talking about society having rules. We are talking about the usurpation of fundamental rights by runaway government that is following the same path to tyranny that most-it-not-all before have follow. Disarm the population.

If they were coming to take away NPR or CNN or MSNBC, I bet you'd be screaming bloody murder, and I would join you on that, for the freedom of press is important as well.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
You're lost - completely lost. One doesn't agree or disagree with a strawman - one points them out as the lie they are. They are a mischaracterization of your opponents position.
I'm "lost" because you want me to be. You don't have the first clue in how to have an effective argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies