Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 02:53 PM

188 posts, read 103,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Anyone who has followed the conversation knows the complaint here was the fact that freedom has been taken away because we can no longer mail order guns. I explained there were reasons for it. I never claimed mentally ill can no longer get their hands on guns, so it not honest of you to say I said such thing. However, if you have been diagnosed with mental illness, your ability to get a hold of a gun is reduced.
the reason was a knee-jerk reaction to JFK's shooting with a MO gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This whole thread is pointless. The only freedom anyone can think of is gun ownership & that doesn't even apply to anyone. And then there are a couple people arguing back & forth about strawmans & full moons. Pointless. No one has made any point in here other than crying about their precious guns being taken away which is such a big fat lie it's laughable. No one has lost their freedom. No one.
You obviously haven't read my posts. In addition to calling out the BS Strawman posts, I provided significant and substantive content.

Last edited by Piccadilly Lily; 12-26-2015 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
This whole thread is pointless. The only freedom anyone can think of is gun ownership & that doesn't even apply to anyone. And then there are a couple people arguing back & forth about strawmans & full moons. Pointless. No one has made any point in here other than crying about their precious guns being taken away which is such a big fat lie it's laughable. No one has lost their freedom. No one.
Yet another strawman.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:14 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccadilly Lily View Post
You obviously haven't read my posts. In addition to calling out the BS Strawman posts, I provided significant and substantive content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccadilly Lily View Post
Yet another strawman.
What you need to do is read posts. You can clearly see most of them are regarding gun ownership. That is not strawman, that is fact. Do you have any thing to contribute to this thread or are you going to continue to just post "strawman" ad nauseam to every posters post? That contributes nothing.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:50 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Actually personally right to keep and bear is only one freedom I've strong concerns about in the US today.

The right to free association is getting pounded, there's good intentions, but people will take advantage of good intentions for their own benefit. Sure protected classes should not be unfairly discriminated against, but where is too far. When can I go to a Kosher deli and get a Reuben? Should I ever be able to?

The right to privacy (which is kind of an underpinning on most other rights) is not just being eroded, but it's being removed by a big Caterpillar D9. Problem is if you don't feel you have privacy it induces chilling effects in all other rights, people feel the need to tip-toe around. It's also a core principle of the 4th Amendment, which is similarly getting pounded, ostensibly in the name of security and safety.

Government mandated commercial insurance, that's a bunch of complete hogwash no matter who you are, if you're pro-public health care, why do we need insurance companies, make it a National Health Service, or publicly managed single payer, and if you're pro-free market health care, why do we need to buy insurance at all?

At the end of the day no one is going to agree on what core freedoms they consider critical some people feel the right to self defense is superior to the right to safety, others will disagree, but that's an implementation issue, one group thinks self defense provides safety others think that safety should be downstream. Some feel that privacy isn't as important as safety either, and that's fine too, I happen to disagree, but there is no right answer. However you cannot say no one has lost their freedom, because we all measure what freedom is differently, there is more free, and less free, but there is no canon example of true freedom, question is are we more free than we were, or less free? And if we're not more free why are we not, and if we're less free why are we less free? And if there is a reason for being less free, are we seeing dividends for being less free?

Old 12-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
What you need to do is read posts. You can clearly see most of them are regarding gun ownership. That is not strawman, that is fact. Do you have any thing to contribute to this thread or are you going to continue to just post "strawman" ad nauseam to every posters post? That contributes nothing.
If you would stop posting strawman, I'd stop calling you out on it. For example, who, besides you, said the RKBA was the only important right. Ans, Nobody, just you in your strawman. So get used to getting called out on them. It isn't gonna stop till you do.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:55 PM

934 posts, read 595,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Woah this pity-party is still going?

Hey folks... you still have your Holy Second Amendment. Right?

How is it that all these supposed freedoms have been stolen when you still have your precious guns?? Are you telling me that the Holy Second Amendment didn't preserve your FREEDOM??

How can this be? I thought the Holy Second Amendment was the magical cure for every gubermint I'll under the sun. Y'all better git started with that there revolution!
The last amendment to go will be the 2nd. No other amendment has as many fanatical supporters

Old 12-27-2015, 12:49 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I want the majority of the laws enforced upon me to legislated at the local level. That way there is recourse if I and/or others don't like them. The US was never designed to be micromanaged from a single location.

Excuse me, but that's an argument that's been going on since the inception of the U.S., with a lot of people (including me) believing that the whole point of a country is to have a strong central government. Every time I see weak local laws governing things like food safety, I'm reminded of the absurdity of local laws. If it's a good law for one state, it's a good law for everyone. If it's a bad law, there should nevertheless be paths to fighting it.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Cry me a river.

How old are you? 120? Most states enacted hunting and fishing seasons along with bag/creel limits more than a century ago.

Where do you live that purchasing farm produce or eggs directly from farmers is illegal? Farmers can even sell milk, as long as it's pasteurized. Raw milk sales are illegal in most states and, I believe, transporting it across state lines for sale is illegal, but that's been the law for over half a century.

As for growing "crops" on your own land, growing marijuana hasn't been legal in at least a century. What else can't you legally "grow"? Poison ivy or giant hogweed?

You already admitted it's been illegal to buy a gun through mail order for decades.

Yes, glad you agree. Freedom & Liberty was taken long ago, when the constitution was shredded before the Civil War and certainly afterwards.....

Old 12-27-2015, 02:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
The last amendment to go will be the 2nd. No other amendment has as many fanatical supporters
Well if true; then America will be just like every other country with no toilet paper, no memory of what it was used for but a whole lotta guns. Wiping your butts with them will be cold comfort indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies